All Big Plays Allowed by Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Only ten minutes into the tape--I can't believe how ridiculously bad the Rams linebackers are. Absolutely horrible.

Witherspoon has no business being on the field--the worst of the bunch. Ogletree is absolutely awful. Anyone who thinks Ray Ray Armstrong has the capability of being a starter in the NFL needs to watch this tape--terrible. Laurinaitis, almost as bad as the others--major disappointment.

Like I said, I'm only ten minutes into the tape. Based on what I've watched so far, my guess is the Rams defense got better because:
1) Jo Lon Dunbar came back.
2) Ogletree and Armstrong--gaining some NFL game experience, started playing better.
3) Fisher got much more involved because Walton doesn't have a clue.

Just an educated guess. It'll be more educated after I watch the whole thing.

Our linebackers suffered in the pass game. I blame it on Tim Walton. Tim Walton is this offseason's scapegoat. The linebacker play improved in December. Ray Ray and Ogletree will add a year of experience, and so I'm encouraged.

On the 10 fantasy trade thread I voted We trade for Dion Jordan for obvious reasons. I want a super front seven!

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I'm not disagreeing, but even in press they still burnt the CBs. When they were off (like against teh Cards and 49ers) it's not like they were burned from the get go. The receiver ran right past them. Granted, most of it was on Cortland Finnegan.

Our cornerbacks played OK against the Bears double duo. Not great, but then again not bad. I find that encouraging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should of done one of the 120 plays that went for 0 or negative yardage just to compare and contrast.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If JL had quicker feet he'd be an absolute terror at MLB. He reads plays like a Jedi but just cant reverse himself or get to the edge very well at times.
Not knocking him...he's solid and i remember all the guys we tried to replace London Fletcher with...yuck. Its good to have some stability there with JL.

BeerOClock

Rookie
You're not really judging a player off only two plays are you? A rookie player transitioning from another position coming into the game cold off the bench at that..

You also have to keep in mind that these were the worst plays of our defense last season, so of course they're going to look bad. Nothing to overreact to, though.

First you say it wasn't him then, when you realize you're wrong, you attack my logic.

Yes, I know he had limited time overall. Yes, I know it was only two plays on a 10+ yards tape. Yes, I know you can't make a full analysis based on this. My analysis WAS based on the tape. I also noted that I suspected the Rams defense played better because of Ogletree's and Armstrong's development as the season progressed.

But, this is not the opposite of a highlight reel--they weren't especially selected plays based on making a player look good (or in this case, making them look bad). It was ALL the 10+ yard plays and it is a referendum as to why the Rams lost games with their defense. Can you at least understand the fact that when teams give up a lot of 10+ yard plays, their defense is playing bad? If there were a few per game, okay, that happens and is more than offset by all the plays that didn't go for 10+ yards. I didn't make notes on the Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Colts and even the Seahawk's games because there were only a few. I have to (fairly) assume they played well based on this, which I believe is an overly general but still somewhat accurate statement. In the first 15 minutes, I was surprised not only by the amount of 10+ yards plays given up (which loses games), but by the amount that were on the ground. When I watched these plays, the Rams linebacker play was pitiful. I noted it. It was a reference to the tape. I factored in the fact it was a 10+ yards tape. It's not fully definitive--I know that--but although you fully dismiss it, it does have a significant amount of value.

I probably did overstate the Armstrong sentence. I should have said, if anyone thinks Armstrong is capable in the near future of being an NFL linebacker, they need to watch him in the first 10 minutes. He may be a fine linebacker in time, but he may have longer to go than those who are picking him to replace Dunbar this year.

Last edited:

BeerOClock

Rookie
I dont like to tell people their opinions are wrong often but...

Ogletree is not absolutely awful
Ray Ray has barely gotten any playing time so unless you have some insider information on him you have absolutely no grounds to say he isnt capable of being a starter.

You realize youre watching a video of the worst plays of the year right? Essentially the opposite of a highlight tape. Making conclusions based on a video like this is just as naive as coming to conclusions based on only highlights.

I hate to tell someone they're wrong, but this is not the opposite of a highlight tape. Read my post above.

You watch the outstanding plays that Ogletree makes, read the number of tackles he made and come to the conclusion he is a good linebacker.
I watch the first 15 minutes of the tape and realize he was a major deficit during that period. The problem was, Witherspoon, Lauranaitis, and on the only two plays I saw him in, Armstrong, were as bad. Unless, you believe a defense surrendering a boatload of 10+ yard runs is not a bad thing.

I did overstate my sentence on Armstrong. I should have said, if anyone thinks he's close to being a capable linebacker in the NFL, should watch him in the first 10 minutes. He may develop over time into a fine linebacker--I just haven't seen what people are basing comments that he's ready to take over for Dunbar.

And, yes, on the first 15 minutes of the tape--as I was referencing in my post, Ogletree was awful.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I was one of the most outspoken people on another forum saying we should draft Ogletree last year but, as expected, he was very raw early last season.

You've seen how he can influence a game with his playmaking. Hopefully he'll be able to read and react more this season instead of having to think so much.

He's definitely going to be used to attack more.

jjab360

Legend
First you say it wasn't him then, when you realize you're wrong, you attack my logic.

Yes, I know he had limited time overall. Yes, I know it was only two plays on a 10+ yards tape. Yes, I know you can't make a full analysis based on this. My analysis WAS based on the tape. I also noted that I suspected the Rams defense played better because of Ogletree's and Armstrong's development as the season progressed.

But, this is not the opposite of a highlight reel--they weren't especially selected plays based on making a player look good (or in this case, making them look bad). It was ALL the 10+ yard plays and it is a referendum as to why the Rams lost games with their defense. Can you at least understand the fact that when teams give up a lot of 10+ yard plays, the defense is playing bad? If there were a few per game, okay, that happens and is more than offset by all the plays that didn't go for 10+ yards. I didn't make notes on the Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Colts and even the Seahawk's games because there were only a few. I have to (fairly) assume they played well based on this, which I believe is an overly general but still somewhat accurate statement. In the first 15 minutes, I was surprised not only by the amount of 10+ yards plays given up (which loses games), but by the amount that were on the ground. When I watched these plays, the Rams linebacker play was pitiful. I noted it. It was a reference to the tape. I factored in the fact it was a 10+ yards tape. It's not fully definitive--I know that--but although you fully dismiss it, it does have a significant amount of value.

Can you try to put a little more intelligence in your responses?
I never said Armstrong wasn't in any of those plays, I said I didn't think he was, you'll have to point out which plays you mean. In any case, 21 snaps is 21 snaps, 17 of which came in the first game against SF. Armstrong barely played last year, there's not much there to evaluate and he didn't have much of any impact on the defense's fortunes one way or another. To claim that he will never be able to be a starter in the NFL based off of two plays on a tape of the worst plays of the season is beyond faulty logic. And if my responses seem unintelligent, it could be because the source material was so ridiculous in the first place.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate to tell someone they're wrong, but this is not the opposite of a highlight tape. Read my post above.

You watch the outstanding plays that Ogletree makes, read the number of tackles he made and come to the conclusion he is a good linebacker.
I watch the first 15 minutes of the tape and realize he was a major deficit during that period. The problem was, Witherspoon, Lauranaitis, and on the only two plays I saw him in, Armstrong, were as bad. Unless, you believe a defense surrendering a boatload of 10+ yard runs is not a bad thing.

I did overstate my sentence on Armstrong. I should have said, if anyone thinks he's close to being a capable linebacker in the NFL, should watch him in the first 10 minutes. He may develop over time into a fine linebacker--I just haven't seen what people are basing comments that he's ready to take over for Dunbar.

And, yes, on the first 15 minutes of the tape--as I was referencing in my post, Ogletree was awful.

this is tape of ONLY plays where we surrendered big plays to opposing teams. Coming to any conclusions based on this is naive.

You say I watch the outstanding plays and read the tackle numbers and come to the conclusion that Ogletree is a good linebacker, but I would rephrase that by saying I watch a ROOKIE lb making outstanding plays and having 118 tackles, 6 ff, 1.5 sacks and 1 98 yd td int and come to the conclusion we have a VERY promising young player, not an absolutely awful LB..

Highlight tape focuses on only the good plays. This tape focuses on only the bad ones. Therefore this = opposite of highlight tape.

BeerOClock

Rookie
this is tape of ONLY plays where we surrendered big plays to opposing teams. Coming to any conclusions based on this is naive.

You say I watch the outstanding plays and read the tackle numbers and come to the conclusion that Ogletree is a good linebacker, but I would rephrase that by saying I watch a ROOKIE lb making outstanding plays and having 118 tackles, 6 ff, 1.5 sacks and 1 98 yd td int and come to the conclusion we have a VERY promising young player, not an absolutely awful LB..

Highlight tape focuses on only the good plays. This tape focuses on only the bad ones. Therefore this = opposite of highlight tape.

No, highlight tapes takes only a select amount of good plays. THEY ARE SELECTED from the good plays. If highlight tapes had all the plays 10+ yards on offense, then I would agree with you. They don't. And if they did, they would have value. If I had 15 plays of 10+ yards on offense in one game, I could conclude the offense had components that were working well and see what factors that were leading to this success.

When Janoris Jenkins or Courtland Finnegan give up long receptions several times by making bad plays in a game, there is no conclusion to this?

Again, it wasn't the fact that they played poorly on these plays, it was the fact that there were so many early in the season and how they poorly they played on so many of them. Good defenses don't give up a lot of 10+ yard plays, especially on the ground.

I'm not saying Ogletree will be an awful LB--you're taking what I said out of context. I said he played awful in those first 15 minutes of the tape based on his poor tackling, terrible use of hands, lack of containment, misreading the ballcarrier and other major mistakes--again, based on the tape and the number of times in the earlier games there were 10+ yard plays. I personally think Ogletree will be a good, maybe great linebacker. I'm saying he was a major factor in the earlier games for the Rams defense playing poorly. So was Witherspoon. So was Lauranaitis. Ogletree progressed well in the latter part of the season and this tape bears that out by the reduction of 10+ yard plays where he showed poor tackling, terrible use of hands, lack of containment, misreading the ballcarrier and other major mistakes.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, highlight tapes takes only a select amount of good plays. THEY ARE SELECTED from the good plays. If highlight tapes had all the plays 10+ yards on offense, then I would agree with you. They don't. And if they did, they would have value. If I had 15 plays of 10+ yards on offense in one game, I could conclude the offense had components that were working well and see what factors that were leading to this success.

When Janoris Jenkins or Courtland Finnegan give up long receptions several times by making bad plays in a game, there is no conclusion to this?

Again, it wasn't the fact that they played poorly on these plays, it was the fact that there were so many early in the season and how they poorly they played on so many of them. Good defenses don't give up a lot of 10+ yard plays, especially on the ground.

I'm not saying Ogletree will be an awful LB--you're taking what I said out of context. I said he played awful in those first 15 minutes of the tape based on his poor tackling, terrible use of hands, lack of containment, misreading the ballcarrier and other major mistakes--again, based on the tape and the number of times in the earlier games there were 10+ yard plays. I personally think Ogletree will be a good, maybe great linebacker. I'm saying he was a major factor in the earlier games for the Rams defense playing poorly. So was Witherspoon. So was Lauranaitis. Ogletree progressed well in the latter part of the season and this tape bears that out by the reduction of 10+ yard plays where he showed poor tackling, terrible use of hands, lack of containment, misreading the ballcarrier and other major mistakes.

There you go! This was a much better post (y)...I do understand where youre coming from I just think if youre going to make bold statements like ogletree is an "absolutely awful LB" you better come with an explanation and clarification. they certainly had their flaws, especially early on but I think its unfair to only look at bad plays and come to any conclusion.

BeerOClock

Rookie
I never said Armstrong wasn't in any of those plays, I said I didn't think he was, you'll have to point out which plays you mean. In any case, 21 snaps is 21 snaps, 17 of which came in the first game against SF. Armstrong barely played last year, there's not much there to evaluate and he didn't have much of any impact on the defense's fortunes one way or another. To claim that he will never be able to be a starter in the NFL based off of two plays on a tape of the worst plays of the season is beyond faulty logic. And if my responses seem unintelligent, it could be because the source material was so ridiculous in the first place.

Fair enough. I should have been more clear and stated "in the near future" or "this year." and I would be on firm ground. I didn't, so it's my fault.

You're right--21 snaps is only 21 snaps. Which is why I ask when people pencil Armstrong in as Dunbar's replacement in the near future: "based on what?".

I did retract the "intelligent" comment before you posted, but you were already writing your response with the non-edited quote. I'll go though the tape again when I have the time and mark the plays where he was on them. You won't be very impressed, though.

BeerOClock

Rookie
...you'll have to point out which plays you mean

7:31 49ers have a 3rd and 12 on their own 14. They play it safe, running a run play right up the middle. Before the snap, Laurinaitis retreats to a Cover Zone leaving Armstrong the responsibility for the middle. Though the blocking is clearly run from the get go, Armstrong retreats slightly to his zone (so does Lauranaitis), then stuttersteps. By this time, the blockers are at the second level and the damage is done. Armstrong plays the runner well but because Iutapi has superior positioning, the runner cuts to his left untouched until the third level for a first down.
7:57 Armstrong takes a bad pursuit angle. A blocker barely gets a piece of his pad on him, Armstrong takes his eyes off the ball-carrier and completely overruns the him. Had Armstrong even made contact with the ball-carrier (he should have made the tackle), it would have prevented a 29-yard touchdown. He didn't and the 49ers score a TD.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
OK, you guys do realize this is a plethora of many bad plays, right? It's just as easy to make a video of all good ones. Come on..

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
One thing that is clear is some of these big plays will reduce simply by not having Finnegan defending them. Sad how bad he got last year.
And Jenkins as talented as he may be get caught way too many times watching the QB and losing sight of where his man is. I suspect GW will improve that this year.
More than anything as Fisher said during the course of the year, we missed a lot of assignments.

I will say I love watching tape from this kind of perspective. Sure seems like Dallas holds a lot (and gets away with it).
And as much as I hate to say it, San Fran just runs a good scheme and blocks well from what I can tell.

Obviously a lot to clean up but if you go by the second half of the year should give us nothing but optimism when you add our draft and Greg Williams to the mix.

Great stuff R&G. Thanks for posting.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
OK, you guys do realize this is a plethora of many bad plays, right? It's just as easy to make a video of all good ones. Come on..

If you don't see the value of seeing why these big plays happened, then perhaps the video isn't for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So when I first posted this Ogletree came in for a bit of criticism and I've been meaning to do a "Ogletree good play video" since but unfortunately life (and crappy internet connection) got in the way, I've finally got round to doing it, below is every play which went for 0 or less yards where Ogletree is credited with the tackle or a share of the tackle or where Ogletree forced a turnover: