After 2nd operation, Saffold hopes shoulder woes are behind him/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
After second operation, Saffold hopes shoulder woes are behind him
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0b2190f4-8115-52cc-8508-086033bbc3da.html

The needling rarely stops in the Rams’ locker room, so when Rodger Saffold had surgery last offseason to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, he got no shortage of advice from several amateur doctors at Rams Park.

“Some of the wise guys around the locker room, they told me that once one shoulder goes, the other is bound to go,” Saffold said. “I guess I’ll just have to live with that.”

The mere sight of his right arm in a sling earlier this week, following surgery to repair a torn labrum in that shoulder, showed the medical advice he received from his teammates was, uh, sound.

“I’m actually doing pretty good right now,” Saffold said, little more than a week removed from the latest operation. “Right now, it’s kind of like the easiest step, just icing (the shoulder) — those types of things.”

Saffold’s sixth NFL season ended abruptly during the first quarter of the Rams’ game Oct. 11 at Green Bay. He was trying to prevent Packers defensive end Datone Jones from splitting the gap between him at right guard and Rob Havenstein at right tackle. The injury occurred upon contact with Jones.

“My arm got twisted up in a weird position, and then it just went,” Saffold said, in his first interview following surgery. “It was probably the worst one that I had throughout my career. I knew it was something bad, especially the next day. It just hurt all the way around, where usually I feel pain in just a part of the shoulder.”

Saffold played through the discomfort of a similar injury in 2014, wearing a brace throughout the year and dealing with the pain that came with having the left shoulder pop out three or four times over the course of the season.

He seriously thought about trying to keep playing with a brace this year after the right shoulder injury. But Rams medical officials as well as Saffold’s personal doctor told him that wasn’t a good idea because this was a more significant tear to the labrum.

“They told me that it wouldn’t be stable, and if I can’t play the entire game there’s no point in me risking the comeback,” Saffold said. “Because then you’ve got whoever I’m playing next to (at tackle) switching the guards constantly — over and over again.

“As soon as I would dislocate it, I would be out for the game. Who knows when it could happen? So losing a half, a game, and all that — it’s just not worth it.”

Dr. Frank Cordasco of the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York performed the operation. He also performed the surgery on Saffold’s left shoulder 10 months ago (last Jan. 7).

“He’s done a lot of shoulders in the NFL, and they’ve been perfect,” Saffold said. “He hasn’t had any other episodes, so I hope to do the same.”

Even though the tear was more significant in the right shoulder, Saffold said Cordasco was still able to perform the surgery arthoscopically, which should aid the five-month recovery and rehabilitation process.

The left shoulder, by the way, held up very well this season.

“I didn’t have any problems,” Saffold said. “I wore no brace. No wraps or anything. It went well throughout the season.”

At least the five games-plus that made up his season. And as those amateur doctors in the locker room might point out, he should at least be finished with shoulder operations at this point. He’s got none left to fix.

“Exactly,” Saffold said, managing a smile. “I plan on being done with this.”

This injury is a little tougher to swallow because the team genuinely appears on the verge of turning the corner after 11 consecutive non-winning seasons. The Rams (3-3) can get above .500 in November for the first time since 2006 with a victory over San Francisco in Sunday’s noon kickoff at the Edward Jones Dome.

“Absolutely,” Saffold said. “That’s what made it the toughest. I understand the talent on this team and what they can accomplish. I want to help them to get there as best I can; the only thing is now it’s gonna be from the sidelines.”

Under Jeff Fisher, Rams coaches encourage injured players who are out for the season or for extended periods — especially the veterans — to help “coach” the team. Even though he’s just back from the surgery in New York, Saffold already is doing what he can on that front.

“You never want to see anybody go down,” left tackle Greg Robinson said. “But Rodger, he’s still in there trying to cheer us on, just pumping us up at practice.”

He can help with more nuts-and-bolts stuff as well, such as technique or maybe things he’s noticed on tape.

“Of course,” Robinson said. “He’s been doing that a lot on the sideline at practice. ... He’s encouraging guys, like, ‘use your feet a little more.’ He’s basically just like a third set of eyes besides Coach Boo and Andy.”

Paul Boudreau and Andy Dickerson are the Rams’ offensive line coaches.

“I feel like (Saffold’s) gonna be a big help,” Robinson said. “A lot of us are still young, and there’s a lot of things we haven’t seen that he has probably seen.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Saffold might be injury prone, particularly as we've seen with those shoulders, but I'll never question his toughness.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Can we talk to the Raiders doctor for now on? He made them look like a genius.

Hats off to Snead for picking up Reynolds, our full time starter now. He might be playing better. That may not be surprising considering we know he was healthy. Actually it is surprising. He's not Davin Joseph 2.0 for what I've seen. So I'm glad we got that right.

For the first time since in I don't even know how long, OL doesn't look to be a high round need. We may not pick an OL within the first four rounds (fifth is Battle). That's pretty darn amazing. Havenstein looks good, I have full confidence in Brown, Barnes looks like a keeper, Reynolds should be resigned, Saffold will come back strong, and Robinson is still a stud in the run game and getting better in pass protection. We still have Donal and Wichman, too. We're good! Wow!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sad state of a fares for our most experienced OL in 2015 season. This team needed him healthy this season more than ever do to the insertions of a half dozen rookies. As usual Fail enters in with RS. Now we have a brand new Ram taking up the toll rope & taking up Saffold's end of the deal. This team Achilles heel was & is the offensive line.

Saffold's performance in TC, pre season & the four regular season games he finished was not any better than the other four IMO. One thing that has changed is the type of OL this team went after this yrs draft....very durable tough & rugged types! Bout time!

Rams presently are still on the hook to pay RS $$ 28 million for his services. If RS survives the cap relief maneuvers before free agency in early March then I would suggest that Paul Boudreau 2016 OL plans that RS will be our emergency game day back up for four OL posts. Meaning we plan RS as our #6 Non starter OL'er. This way our OL does not suffer what it has in the 2011, 2012, 2013 & this yr 2015 ....after his injury the OL underwent changes to two starting posts. NOT GOOD!

RS damaged surgically repaired body should be able to stand up to the riggers of being the top reserve without causing too much issues to our starting five OL when he gets injured again....yes that will occur :palm:.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Hats off to Snead for picking up Reynolds, our full time starter now. He might be playing better. That may not be surprising considering we know he was healthy. Actually it is surprising. He's not Davin Joseph 2.0 for what I've seen. So I'm glad we got that right.

For the first time since in I don't even know how long, OL doesn't look to be a high round need. We may not pick an OL within the first four rounds (fifth is Battle). That's pretty darn amazing. Havenstein looks good, I have full confidence in Brown, Barnes looks like a keeper, Reynolds should be resigned, Saffold will come back strong, and Robinson is still a stud in the run game and getting better in pass protection. We still have Donal and Wichman, too. We're good! Wow!
For me the votes are still being counted, on what we have. I like what we have so far, but I want to see how the look around week #12-13!
Hopefully something like this ....

Slater5.jpg

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The Rams had no issues walking away from Bruce and Holt when they started to slip and they are HOF caliber. Saffold a JAG, move on and allocate his money to players where it is better utilized IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really feel for Roger. Dude is a warrior, tough as nails, but just doesn't have the build to survive without injuries. Some guys have knees that are at greater risk of injury, some guys it's other stuff. For Roger it's obviously his shoulders. Rams will never be able to take risks on their OL depth chart with him penciled in as a starter.

The good thing here is they adjusted to that with a big draft class for OL to ensure depth was good. This means a lot of guys on cost controlled contracts to compensate for Roger's salary, and at some point if he cannot stay healthy the Rams will need to cut him. I presume he's safe for next season provided he makes it through camp and preseason but the Rams clearly are prepared for him dropping out at any time now.

Rams might still take another OL if the value is there when they select. But they have a couple years I think where they can refill other FA holes that will be opening up and keep this thing rolling.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
If they cut Saffold in the offseason, who'd be left from the Spags/Devaney era? Laurinaitis, Quinn, Simms, and Kendricks... anyone else? Long was drafted under Linehan, so there would only be 5 players remaining on the roster from before Fisher took over.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

And Darrell Williams turned out to be a find as well. Not to mention Rhaney.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
And Darrell Williams turned out to be a find as well. Not to mention Rhaney.

We really did have to have Saffold at the time, not so much now. I'm glad we resigned him, but the injuries are frustrating when he checked out with our doctors.

Apparently this is his other shoulder so he'll have super robot arms for the for the rest of his tenure in STL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The ongoing Saga of Rodger Saffold's injuries

2015- limited to practice all of OTA's & early TC due to being unhealthy. Injured shoulder in 1st pre season first series out for remaining pre season. Finished 4 games as starter. injured shoulder had surgery to repair a torn Right labrum & placed on Injured Reserve .

2014- Raiders sign RS to $42.5 million ($15.75 million guaranteed) contract then VOID due to damaged shoulder. Signs with damaged body to Rams contract for $31.7 million deal that includes $19.5 million guaranteed. Over 10 mil less due to health concerns. First Pre season game injured shoulder "stinger." missed the rest of the games & 2 other pre season games. Last pre season game injured right ankle forced from game. Regular season left Sunday's Week 1 opener against the Vikings with a neck injury did not return. Exited Week 8 against the Chiefs with a shoulder injury, shoulder injury is to the same shoulder that caused his failed physical with the Raiders. Saffold had left-shoulder surgery to repair a torn left labrum @ conclusion of 2014 season.

2013- Saffold dislocated his left shoulder in 2013 preseason opener, he will go on to miss the entire 2013 preseason games.Saffold was carted off the field in the second quarter of Sunday's Week 2 Sept 15th game against the Falcons with a knee injury. Saffold knee remained unhealthy & was unable to start again until the first of November missing 7 starts.

2012- Spent all of the the first 7 months of 2012 on physically unable & could not be cleared to resume football activities. This was due to 2012 torn pectoral surgery. First regular season game Saffold was carted off the field in Sunday's game with a neck injury.Spent the night in the hospital. Exited Sunday's Week 2 contest with a first-quarter ACL knee injury. It was wk 11 before Saffold finished his first game as a starter. He missed 6 games & missed most of three others. His last injury in 2012 was on Dec 10th 2012 Saffold injured his back & was unable to finish the game.

2011- On Oct 16, 2011, Saffold was forced from game against the Packers with an ankle left fibula injury. On Nov 13, 2011, Saffold was was forced from game against the Browns with a head injury (concussion), & did not return. On Nov 18, 2011, Saffold suffered a "significant" pectoral tear injury & placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral, ending his season. Saffold was only able to finish 6 games as a starter in 2011.

Summary
In his last five seasons he has suffered 15 injuries. He has only been able to finish 42 games as a starter out of 80 games. Had 3 major surgeries...( both shoulders & pectoral tear). He has been on he IR twice. After all the above & now the accumulative back to back torn & surgically repaired labrums on both shoulders within 10 months all in one year (2015) ...Would you plan to have the above OL'er as your starter in 2016? What can you expect from a OG who has been hurt & damaged like this?

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
BYE Roger. Nothin personal . Help coach our guys this year as we have your spot covered next year going forward so much cheaper and can use your salary to pay for one of our Needed FA DB's next offseason. We will remember you fondly.:love:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm done with scaffold I was really hoping the raiders would take him off us

Don't question the guys ability and toughness but if you can't stay on the field you're no good to anyone

I destroyed my shoulders playing rugby ... I played at county level .. And with good doctors (obviously nowhere near the level of the nfl docs ) but one said I was done .. I could have surgery but is never play at county level again ... And to this day some 15 odd years later they still give me grief

Ram65

Legend
It will be interesting to see what happens to Roger's Rams and NFL future. I always hesitate to use the "injury prone" label but, Rodger is "injury prone". He could come back and play healthy for years and the rest of his Rams contract or not. I think the Rams keep him. His big cap hit came is this year 11 Million. Next year 6 Million Cap Hit with 3 Million dead money. Roger is versatile and the leader on the offensive line.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/rodger-saffold/

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It will be interesting to see what happens to Roger's Rams and NFL future. I always hesitate to use the "injury prone" label but, Rodger is "injury prone". He could come back and play healthy for years and the rest of his Rams contract or not. I think the Rams keep him. His big cap hit came is this year 11 Million. Next year 6 Million Cap Hit with 3 Million dead money. Roger is versatile and the leader on the offensive line.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/rodger-saffold/
at the very least, he will provide great competition for starter on the line. if he gets beat out then that player must be a good lineman because rodger already is.