Adrian Peterson will plead no contest to misdemeanor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/peterson-will-plead-no-contest/

Peterson will plead no contest to misdemeanor
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2014

peterson3.jpg
Getty Images

With fewer than four weeks until the start of his trial on felony child-abuse charges, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will reach an agreement today to resolve the case.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Peterson will plead no contest to one count of misdemeanor reckless assault. The plea will not include reference to family violence or violence against a minor.

If the agreement is accepted by Judge Kelly Case, Peterson will pay a $2,000 fine, be placed on probation, and perform 80 hours of community service. Technically, the adjudication of the case will be deferred for two years.

The next question becomes whether the NFL will impose a suspension on Peterson above and beyond the eight games he already has missed with pay. Although Peterson agreed to the existing arrangement, the paid suspension helped the league and the team avoid a major P.R. mess. Unless he would be suspended more than eight games for the incident, he should be reinstated for Minnesota’s next game against the Bears.

Regardless of what the NFL does, the NFL needs to move quickly and decisively. Hopefully, the league has given careful thought and consideration to the situation. Even more hopefully, the ultimate decision won’t create the impression that the NFL is flying by the seat of its pants, making things up as it goes.

The NFL surely has been aware of the possibility that Peterson would strike a deal. The NFL needs to be ready to make a swift decision now that the case has been resolved. And that decision needs to reflect the first implementation of rules and standards that will apply to all players like Peterson — especially since his decision to avoid a trial helped the league avoid several news cycles of further embarrassment.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Paid suspension? Wow.

Well, community service isn't fun I hear but it's not like being whipped on your balls or anything.

iced

Dropped from a felony to misdemeanor wreckless assault?

Definitely screams lack of evidence, especially since it took multiple grand juries to get an indictment.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Dropped from a felony to misdemeanor wreckless assault?

Definitely screams lack of evidence, especially since it took multiple grand juries to get an indictment.

He admitted what he did and a doctor documented the wounds.

Screams NFL player privilege to me.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm so tired of these guys getting special treatment. What a piece of crap.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Isn't this thread in the wrong forum?????? It should be in the "who gives a fu.ck" section.:rolleyes:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Paid suspension? Wow.

Well, community service isn't fun I hear but it's not like being whipped on your balls or anything.
If I were King that would be his punishment and I'd make him play 4 games without a cup.

iced

He admitted what he did and a doctor documented the wounds.

Screams NFL player privilege to me.

How's that "NFL Privilege" Working out for Darren Sharper, Aaron hernandez, etc.?

Same thing can be said for McDonald of the Niners.

DA's don't reduce charges if they're confident in their cases - period. The fact that they're reducing it by that much tells you they're legitimately worried that a Jury won't convict him, beyond a reasonable doubt..lack of evidence or whatever problems they may have from a prosecution point of view.

Alan

Legend
iced jumping overboard without a life jacket:
DA's don't reduce charges if they're confident in their cases - period.
:LOL: Shouldn't that have been in blue?

Hope you're right about that iced because we could really use that "justice is blind" thing when the grand jury in Ferguson finally gives it's answer.

iced

:LOL: Shouldn't that have been in blue?

Hope you're right about that iced because we could really use that "justice is blind" thing when the grand jury in Ferguson finally gives it's answer.

Pretty sure Hernandez and Sharper are behind bars despite having tons of money...

People gotta remember - Criminal court is not civilian. Criminal you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Do you see deals being cut for either of those 2 players? Nope.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Pretty sure Hernandez and Sharper are behind bars despite having tons of money...

People gotta remember - Criminal court is not civilian. Criminal you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

what they did was commit a much more heinous crime though that's the difference you won't get plea deals very easily with multiple murders and rapes

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
My parents were old school. I specifically remember by brother getting a beating while parents were angry. The marks were bad. My parents felt bad. They never spanked any of us when angry ever again after that. They didn't need a court of law to help them realize the mistake. Young parents from our generation make mistakes. They should be allowed to learn from it. Just my $.02

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Although in this case you have to have even a bit more. This is a family issue as well. The courts often consider the true severity of the crime as well as the mother's pleas, etc. in determining the best way to handle a domestic situation. I know the pictures looked bad but some have said that the wounds to the head were not actually caused by Adrian. The bruises from the switch are bad enough. Unfortunately, this is not as unusual as we would all like to think.

And don't think I'm agreeing with them going light on Adrian. It's just what usually happens in these cases. If Adrian had done this to his wife, it could have gone even easier on him depending on what she were to tell prosecutors. So in this case I wouldn't necessarily say he is getting as much preferential treatment as we've seen with many atheletes.

iced

what they did was commit a much more heinous crime though that's the difference you won't get plea deals very easily with multiple murders and rapes

You also won't get plea deals if they have hard evidence against you - the bigger deal the less confident they are in their case.

How many players you see get a plea deal for DUI's when their BAC is .15 or higher?

iced

Although in this case you have to have even a bit more. This is a family issue as well. The courts often consider the true severity of the crime as well as the mother's pleas, etc. in determining the best way to handle a domestic situation. I know the pictures looked bad but some have said that the wounds to the head were not actually caused by Adrian. The bruises from the switch are bad enough. Unfortunately, this is not as unusual as we would all like to think.

And don't think I'm agreeing with them going light on Adrian. It's just what usually happens in these cases. If Adrian had done this to his wife, it could have gone even easier on him depending on what she were to tell prosecutors. So in this case I wouldn't necessarily say he is getting as much preferential treatment as we've seen with many atheletes.

I'm speaking purely from a legal view - not incorporating my feelings/judgement toward AP or what happened.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
^^^This

And I know Les isn't down playing what Peterson did but to compare what Hernandez and Sharper did is REALLY apples to oranges.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm speaking purely from a legal view - not incorporating my feelings/judgement toward AP or what happened.
No - I know. I'm just saying that in domestic cases - which this would no doubt fall under the guise of - there are a lot of family variables that can affect where the prosecutor goes with a case.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If I were King that would be his punishment and I'd make him play 4 games without a cup.

Um... try watching games in HD, Les. Almost everybody plays without a cup. Yet another reason to hate the 9ers is that their pants are...um...thinner than they used to be? So, watching Frank Gore run... well, I won't have to get in a shower with him to be "familiar" with him... let's just put it that way.

After making a joke about it to the family, my kids thought I was joking. Then they watched a little football. My eldest daughter, the one who came to the Tampa game who has no filter whatsoever, just blurted out, "ohmigod! DAD! There's penises everywhere! What the hell?"

I just shrugged... "Don't they wear those cups or anything? What if they get hit in the balls?"

I just shrugged...

Needless to say... now that the games are broadcast in HD... I'd prefer for guys to at least wear athletic supporters and not clearly be going commando under their pants... it's awkward to be watching with my daughters and to clearly be able to see that a guy's been circumcised. Even if they are right that cups slow them down or whatever... jock straps can't possibly do that... and I really don't need 55" of "deez nuts" in Broadcast HD brought to me by GE....

Gives new meaning to 1080P... :censored::eek::whistle:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Um... try watching games in HD, Les. Almost everybody plays without a cup. Yet another reason to hate the 9ers is that their pants are...um...thinner than they used to be? So, watching Frank Gore run... well, I won't have to get in a shower with him to be "familiar" with him... let's just put it that way.

After making a joke about it to the family, my kids thought I was joking. Then they watched a little football. My eldest daughter, the one who came to the Tampa game who has no filter whatsoever, just blurted out, "ohmigod! DAD! There's penises everywhere! What the hell?"

I just shrugged... "Don't they wear those cups or anything? What if they get hit in the balls?"

I just shrugged...

Needless to say... now that the games are broadcast in HD... I'd prefer for guys to at least wear athletic supporters and not clearly be going commando under their pants... it's awkward to be watching with my daughters and to clearly be able to see that a guy's been circumcised. Even if they are right that cups slow them down or whatever... jock straps can't possibly do that... and I really don't need 55" of "deez nuts" in Broadcast HD brought to me by GE....

Gives new meaning to 1080P... :censored::eek::whistle:
Was wonderin' why my wife showed a sudden interest in the NFL. o_O:D