Adam Gase thoughts on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Playing better than Case? look at this way. you just saw his floor. Plus, you were delusional if you thought Case was getting you to the playoffs
So the season was a total waste of time? the Rams never had a shot in your mind of making the playoffs? I'm not defending Case and his ability but we are talking about the last game. A game that the Rams needed to win in order to have a shot at the wild card. That is gone now, out the window. I would have played Case if I knew Goff was that far from being ready. I thought Goff had been working with the 1's since the bye week...you could have fooled me.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
So the season was a total waste of time? the Rams never had a shot in your mind of making the playoffs? I'm not defending Case and his ability but we are talking about the last game. A game that the Rams needed to win in order to have a shot at the wild card. That is gone now, out the window. I would have played Case if I knew Goff was that far from being ready. I thought Goff had been working with the 1's since the bye week...you could have fooled me.
That's right. With Case we had no shot at the playoffs. Goff was fine this game. If he got a few chances to open it up we might see a difference between the 2 QBs.
As far as being ready, the fact is Goff wasn't ready because they didn't get him ready. I think everyone agrees that the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball sucks. You put Wentz or Dak on this team and they wouldn't have started and they wouldn't have been ready.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
That's right. With Case we had no shot at the playoffs. Goff was fine this game. If he got a few chances to open it up we might see a difference between the 2 QBs.
As far as being ready, the fact is Goff wasn't ready because they didn't get him ready. I think everyone agrees that the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball sucks. You put Wentz or Dak on this team and they wouldn't have started and they wouldn't have been ready.

Wrong!!!! With Fisher we have/had no shot at the playoffs.

Really Goff was fine in this game? His longest pass thru the air was 7 yards...7 YARDS!!!!! That's Fisher ball at it's finest right there.
Remember when Fisher stated he's going to really open up the playbook for Goff and do more intermediate and down-the-field passing? Yeah how did that look last game? It looked like they called the same 7 plays over and over.

After watching 8 different QB's play under fisher in the last 5 years it's apparent why we have never reached the playoffs. Fisher is common denominator.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Wrong!!!! With Fisher we have/had no shot at the playoffs.

Really Goff was fine in this game? His longest pass thru the air was 7 yards...7 YARDS!!!!! That's Fisher ball at it's finest right there.
Remember when Fisher stated he's going to really open up the playbook for Goff and do more intermediate and down-the-field passing? Yeah how did that look last game? It looked like they called the same 7 plays over and over.

After watching 8 different QB's play under fisher in the last 5 years it's apparent why we have never reached the playoffs. Fisher is common denominator.
Yes he was fine. A pretty ambiguous definition. He played with one hand tied behind his back. But I agree with the rest of the post.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Before the game I had hopes that Goff would play well and we would be able to beat Miami. After the first half those hopes were pretty much gone. You can blame Fisher....I blame Fisher too but Goff did not play well at all. Not like the 1st overall pick is expected to play.
Hopefully he can improve by next week and prove me wrong but improving behind this line and under Fisher is not going to be easy.
I really believe Case would have won last week and that is all I was saying. That game to me, was too important to put a struggling rookie in the game. Keep the guy that has been connecting with Britt and Quick and Kendricks, all season, at least for the first half. It was like Fisher said screw it the season is over lets see if Goff will play better in a game than he's been showing us in practice.
That sucks! because I still had hopes for the Rams, the Cardinals lost again, so did the 49ers. The Rams could have been sitting all alone in 2nd place in the NFC west, don't you think that could have been inspiring for this fledgling football team?
It was stupid to play Goff unless he had been kicking butt in practice....I don't think he has it yet and Fisher should have known it and resisted putting him in.
What happens next week at the half if the Rams are scoreless? Take him out? for who? Case or Mannion? Another Fisher blunder....in the making. Keep Goff as far away from the field and Fisher as he can get or watch his career get Bradfordized.

PainTrain

UDFA
Name
Raffi
Took Peyton until his 6th game top Goff's QB rating, Brady has 13/23 for 168 yards in his first game.

Problem is a mediocre OL and a poor WR corps and a bad OC

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Before the game I had hopes that Goff would play well and we would be able to beat Miami. After the first half those hopes were pretty much gone. You can blame Fisher....I blame Fisher too but Goff did not play well at all. Not like the 1st overall pick is expected to play.
Hopefully he can improve by next week and prove me wrong but improving behind this line and under Fisher is not going to be easy.
I really believe Case would have won last week and that is all I was saying. That game to me, was too important to put a struggling rookie in the game. Keep the guy that has been connecting with Britt and Quick and Kendricks, all season, at least for the first half. It was like Fisher said screw it the season is over lets see if Goff will play better in a game than he's been showing us in practice.
That sucks! because I still had hopes for the Rams, the Cardinals lost again, so did the 49ers. The Rams could have been sitting all alone in 2nd place in the NFC west, don't you think that could have been inspiring for this fledgling football team?
It was stupid to play Goff unless he had been kicking butt in practice....I don't think he has it yet and Fisher should have known it and resisted putting him in.
What happens next week at the half if the Rams are scoreless? Take him out? for who? Case or Mannion? Another Fisher blunder....in the making. Keep Goff as far away from the field and Fisher as he can get or watch his career get Bradfordized.
I think you might change you mind once Goff has to try to keep up with the Saints. They really have no choice but to open it up at some point in the next 2 games. When they do, you will see the difference between Keenum and Goff. Of course that assumes they don't wait till 3rd and long to throw it all the time.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a stat that shows how much time it takes for qbs to get rid of the ball? How much time did the oline give him? Run blocking was better tho i gotta say. But I dont think Goff was given a lot of time to throw.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I think you might change you mind once Goff has to try to keep up with the Saints. They really have no choice but to open it up at some point in the next 2 games. When they do, you will see the difference between Keenum and Goff. Of course that assumes they don't wait till 3rd and long to throw it all the time.
Well I'm on your side; I hope you are right but I've never heard of the phrase "open it up" when it comes to the NFL. Like you can turn it on and off. If the Rams have an "open gear" this would be a good time to use it. Nah things do not work that way. Last week we saw the best Goff can do playing for the Rams in the rain vs the Dolphins at home at this time in his career. If the Rams could "open it up" they would have.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Just like being in 1st place was so inspiring earlier this year? Goff didn't play great, but don't pretend like Keenum is some kind of QB savior that was going to keep us in the playoff hunt. We wouldn't be one loss away from being out of the playoffs if it weren't for Keenum. There are a lot of other factors too, sure. But there were other factors this game too. Keenum was never taking us to the playoffs. I'm sorry your hope was crushed, but it wasn't ever plausible.

Bruce2980

Starter
Well I'm on your side; I hope you are right but I've never heard of the phrase "open it up" when it comes to the NFL. Like you can turn it on and off. If the Rams have an "open gear" this would be a good time to use it. Nah things do not work that way. Last week we saw the best Goff can do playing for the Rams in the rain vs the Dolphins at home at this time in his career. If the Rams could "open it up" they would have.
You should go back through the game film from this year and count how many pass plays (especially on 2nd down) the Rams had, where NONE of the WRs went past five or seven yards. Opening "it up" means running a receiver beyond five or seven yards. Most teams in the NFL do that, and they do that regularly. The GSOT did that.
This is a problem created by Fisher and all of his OCs. Go back and look at the stats of all of his QBs even the ones from Tennessee and Houston and you will see very similar numbers posted by every single QB that has ever played for Fisher. So by saying that "if the Rams could open it up they would have" really starts to beg the question.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's exactly what you can do. The Rams could have easily "opened it up," and it would have led to different results. The Rams didn't because they felt the results wouldn't have been better. Whether they would have is debatable. But the Rams employing a conservative gameplan isn't really debatable when you watch the film.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff looked far more comfortable and decisive on Sunday, but compared to his preseason work, they obviously put the clamps on him vs the Dolphins. It looks to me like he simply followed the gameplan which probably went something like this....
images (1).jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm gonna rewatch the first 55 minutes of the game tonight.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Took Peyton until his 6th game top Goff's QB rating, Brady has 13/23 for 168 yards in his first game.

Problem is a mediocre OL and a poor WR corps and a bad OC
People forget Peyton threw 28 ints his rookie year only had a 56% completion and 6.5 ypa. Yes he had 24 TD also but his rookie year was far from stellar. In fact his 3rd or 4th year he relapsed for a bad year again. It's easy to complain about Goff's one game and not starting when they don't remember those QB's that have gone before.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You should have had hopes that Fisher had announced goff was the starter when goff had his first press conference after the draft. Then we wouldn't have been in week 11 and Fisher having goff throw 5 yard passes.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
People forget Peyton threw 28 ints his rookie year only had a 56% completion and 6.5 ypa. Yes he had 24 TD also but his rookie year was far from stellar. In fact his 3rd or 4th year he relapsed for a bad year again. It's easy to complain about Goff's one game and not starting when they don't remember those QB's that have gone before.
Derek Carr lost his 1st 10 games I believe. it takes time for most QB's.
Goff winning out and lighting up the league is doubtful. We should all except it.