Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here is how this went down last year (and usually goes): "We are happy to continue negotiating an extension. In the meantime, Aaron will report to camp tomorrow if you agree to waive all fines for missing camp."

How would you answer that if you were the Rams?

I would tell his representation that if he doesn't show for camp on time and if he doesn't sign a contract by the time he does show up, that he'll be paying his fines.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would tell his representation that if he doesn't show for camp on time and if he doesn't sign a contract by the time he does show up, that he'll be paying his fines.

I don't know the answer to this - I wonder if anyone has ever paid the fines for holding out. I don't believe I've ever heard of it every happening. I certainly don't want the Rams to test pilot it with the best player in football. I can tell you this, it would certainly sour the negotiations and possibly sour him on the organization as a whole.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know the answer to this - I wonder if anyone has ever paid the fines for holding out. I don't believe I've ever heard of it every happening. I certainly don't want the Rams to test pilot it with the best player in football. I can tell you this, it would certainly sour the negotiations and possibly sour him on the organization as a whole.

I have no idea to what extent fines are leveed against players that hold out. But I suspect it happens, and the reason why is because those fines were collectively bargained for and are there to deter players holding out and missing camp. And I would think that deterrence does affect player behavior and motivation to sign.

Would he decide he doesn't want to be a Ram because of that? Don't know that either. But I'd give his representation fair warning that we made a good offer and he would be paying fines if he doesn't sign. And I don't expect most here to agree with me on that, either, and that's ok.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So now that we have actually witnessed the Rams locking up high end players like Cooks and Gurley, it changes the equation a bit in terms of how I view AD's situation. While we obviously don't know for sure who is offering/asking for what... At this point I am much more liable to believe that AD's representation might be asking for too much.

Totally agree. IMHO, the Gurley signing will change public opinion from “nobody knows what’s going on with AD” to “sounds like AD’s agent is the problem.”

I think AD will start getting more pressure from friends and family (and the public) to sign.

Feels like Pace and Poston all over again... great player, unreasonable agent.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I like the rams aproach. It isn't personal. Let it take its course. No need to ryle anybody up. If he misses his deadline to report , he will pay a strap enough fine by losing a year towards FA. If he chooses to not take the deal he plays for 8mil and if he doesn't sign next year he is franchised. He will sign, it doesn't make sense not to. Again, no reason for the rams to get pissy. He will sign

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
But the Rams are fining players who are at camp that show up late to practice and meetings. And if I remember the article from last year correctly, they're fining them the maximum amount possible. To not fine Donald when he isn't even showing up is dishonest and disrespectful to the people who show up.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So now that we have actually witnessed the Rams locking up high end players like Cooks and Gurley, it changes the equation a bit in terms of how I view AD's situation. While we obviously don't know for sure who is offering/asking for what... At this point I am much more liable to believe that AD's representation might be asking for too much. That the reports of the Rams making legit offers are probably accurate.

In other words I feel a lot better about the Rams' front office. And as I mentioned before, this might be the holdout period where the team holds Aaron's feet to the fire and makes him pay the fines for not showing up. I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this, but I think it's important they do that if he doesn't show on time.
I completely agree with all of this.
Last year they waived the fines in an act of good faith. This year they need to be enforced. They should have been enforced last year. Rules are worthless without teeth.
I want to see AD in horns just as much as the next fan, but i do believe there is a line regarding salary and holdouts.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nope. You want this to end with handshakes and big smiles. Sticking to those fines is no way to accomplish that.
Last years holdout didn't accomplish anything either. He needs to get his ass into camp and let his agents do their job. If they can't get a deal done, than he may need new representation.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Last years holdout didn't accomplish anything either. He needs to get his ass into camp and let his agents do their job. If they can't get a deal done, than he may need new representation.

We don’t know what it accomplished - it may have moved the needle quite a bit. We don’t have that info. ADs agents are smart - they know holding out serves a purpose. As fans, it’s frustrating - but from a negotiation standpoint, it’s certainly understandable.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We don’t know what it accomplished - it may have moved the needle quite a bit. We don’t have that info. ADs agents are smart - they know holding out serves a purpose. As fans, it’s frustrating - but from a negotiation standpoint, it’s certainly understandable.
What we know is that it has been a year since his last holdout and he still doesn't have a new contract. That speaks volumes to me 12. I will be ecstatic though once this finally gets done.
If a deal doesn't get done, i will be crushed, but at least i will know the organization tried.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

dang

Legend
Good guy until 8/8 - then if he still not signed its bad for him and the Rams. At some point terms of the offer will get out and someone will be the bad guy! Annoying that it took so long but all is good if settled before then.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I actually think they're probably not far apart on this. Prior to training camp last year the word was that not only did Donald want QB money, but he also wanted the flexibility of being able to opt out early. Can't have that both ways. I think the early opt out was due to the lack of certainty as to where the team was going. Last season surely quelled those concerns. So then you're down to it just being about money...which is a good thing really because that's something that can be worked out.... We have cap space coming and we're a good team... This can be worked out.

I would say though that AD's defensive player of the year award after sitting out a training camp and a game at least gives him some leverage to extend this into training camp....

but at this point if AD wants to be a part of what we have going...if he wants to be here...which I believe he does....there's not much more we can offer him moving than what's on the table now, so I have a feeling this will be resolved relatively soon

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone wants AD to be the villain. I can't think of anybody that doesn't want him signed.
I was just answering the question. He didn't show up in time to play, but he did show up in time to collect a paycheck for doing nothing. That's disappointing.

I don't want him to be the villain. Actions have consequences though.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I really want AD in horns for another 4-5 years but I read an article that suggested his agent might be wanting elite QB money as a landmark deal. In other words, that AD might be seeking close to 30 million per season. I hope that's not true.

If the Rams are in a close game and you have to choose between a DT or a QB as the game changer, it's going to be the QB. I believe Goff will become elite under McVay's guidance.

If it's true that AD is turning down money that would make him the highest paid defensive player in the league, I don't fault the Rams FO from balking. It looks like the Rams are willing to pay with the deals that Cooks and Gurley received.

I hope we don't have to tag him and underpay him. I also don't want to trade him to Cleveland or the Jets for 2 first round picks. But what can the Rams FO do if he won't budge from wanting elite QB money?

Status
Not open for further replies.