A myth that you need a "big" wide receiver?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You don't need a guy that is 6'3" but if you have one that runs great routes has speed and fights for the ball he sure is a nice piece to have.

Quick has been a great piece early this year which one of the smaller guys is going to put up those numbers the rest of this year? If it isn't Bailey is it isn't happening.

If the NFL was Madden you're still not building a roster without one of those big guys on the list

reggae

@ reggae we get that you don't like TA but this isn't the place to say he "sux". Take that nonsense elsewherw.
What makes TA off limits? People criticize lots of players on this team. But TA is above reproach? Take that nonsense elsewhere.

Athos

Legend
Yes. It is a myth. What's hard to believe is that any Rams fan would buy that myth when the GSOT had 3 incredibly productive pass catchers at 6'0", 6'0", and 5'10".

I don't think it's a myth. Maybe an overused catch-phrase. Like a marketing ploy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the best of both words though. The little guys are great and all for chunk yardage, but they don't often score as much as the bigger guys.

There were 22 pass-catchers last year that scored 8 or more TDs. 5 of them were TEs. So that means we're dealing though 17 WRs, though Graham is a glorified TE that is really just a WR, as is Julius Thomas, so I'm including them as WRs. So, let's say 19.

Of those 19:

Allen
Cooper
Nelson
Jordan
Jones
Fitz
Green
Decker
Thomas
Megatron
Marshall
Bryant
Thomas
Graham

Those 14 are 6'2 or taller. Cotchery is in at 6'1.

Welker
D-Jax
Royal
Brown

Are the only ones under 6 flat with those many scores.

Brown, Cobb, Royal on pace to match that or already have.

In this NFL, I think you want the big bodied WR, especially with all the rules going against DBs, making big bodied WRs jobs even easier. If I want TDs, I want a big assed WR. If I want chunk yards and elusiveness, small WRs. You want both.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll take the 5th round Antonio Browns over the 1st round "big" guys every time and twice on Sunday, and save those picks for the franchise QB, LT, and pass rushers. The problem is the cost of the pick doesnt match the production when you compare the two. Especially when tight ends can be gotten in later rounds and can be the red zone guys.

Athos

Legend
Especially when tight ends can be gotten in later rounds and can be the red zone guys.

yea......No.

TEs TDs are much more fluid and up and down than your big WRs year in and year out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What makes TA off limits? People criticize lots of players on this team. But TA is above reproach? Take that nonsense elsewhere.
No one said he was off limits. It was the post with not more substantial information to back up an opinion. There are plenty of sites where that is an acceptable post. This is not one of them.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
No one is "above reproach" but here at ROD our players don't suck. Welcome to the board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's a myth. Maybe an overused catch-phrase. Like a marketing ploy.

The GSOT proves it's a myth. You don't NEED a big WR.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the best of both words though. The little guys are great and all for chunk yardage, but they don't often score as much as the bigger guys.

There were 22 pass-catchers last year that scored 8 or more TDs. 5 of them were TEs. So that means we're dealing though 17 WRs, though Graham is a glorified TE that is really just a WR, as is Julius Thomas, so I'm including them as WRs. So, let's say 19.

Come on now, you can't count Graham and Thomas as WRs. They're TEs. They don't see the same sort of match-ups that WRs do.

Of those 19:

Allen
Cooper
Nelson
Jordan
Jones
Fitz
Green
Decker
Thomas
Megatron
Marshall
Bryant
Thomas
Graham

Those 14 are 6'2 or taller. Cotchery is in at 6'1.

Welker
D-Jax
Royal
Brown

Are the only ones under 6 flat with those many scores.

Brown, Cobb, Royal on pace to match that or already have.

In this NFL, I think you want the big bodied WR, especially with all the rules going against DBs, making big bodied WRs jobs even easier. If I want TDs, I want a big assed WR. If I want chunk yards and elusiveness, small WRs. You want both.

Nobody is saying you don't want a big WR. Just that they aren't absolutely necessary and small WRs are undervalued.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
So you mean to tell us that it has nothing to do with Taint's ability and that if you made any WR the #1 in Detroit, they'd put up great numbers? If Brandon Gibson were the #1 right now, he'd be one of the NFL's leaders? No. I'd also like to point out that Golden Taint is SECOND in the NFL among WRs in yards after catch.

WRs currently playing? I'd take Antonio Brown over any of those WRs not named Calvin except AJ Green.

No.

I'm saying he's getting more targets than he would if a healthy Calvin Johnson was on the field. That's it.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
No.

I'm saying he's getting more targets than he would if a healthy Calvin Johnson was on the field. That's it.
The fact that Taint is succeeding based on those targets helps the argument that you don't need big receivers.

Jorgeh0605

Like I said in my first post, you don't NEED one, but the size advantage helps.
Oh I'm not arguing with you, I just thought that last post provided good evidence towards the point of the thread. In theory, two receivers with identical skill sets that only differ in height, the taller receiver definitely holds the advantage. A bigger receiver should also have an advantage run blocking.

Philly5

Rookie
Big WRs like Britt and Quick have given us our best starters in years. We can contend for balls in the air.

Athos

Legend
Nobody is saying you don't want a big WR. Just that they aren't absolutely necessary and small WRs are undervalued.

I disagree. If you want TDs, big WRs are absolutely necessary and the TD leaders year in and year out seem to prove that. I like big and athletic with hands. Not saying 6 foot and under guys can't be great, they are and can be used against bigger DBs who can't flip their hips as quickly or change direction as fast but... I like a WR that can go up and high point the ball. And I think it's harder finding those smaller WRs that can be really good, than bigger WRs.

Furthermore, those big-bodied WRs are more often going to be key cogs in power run schemes/plays. Blocking from a WR is an underrated skill.

Come on now, you can't count Graham and Thomas as WRs. They're TEs. They don't see the same sort of match-ups that WRs do.

When Graham lines up, what is it, like 75% of the time? as a WR? Yea, I consider him a WR. Being a huge force of nature doesn't mean much. I consider Cook a glorified TE who's really a WR as well, if only because his inability to block. Don't care where he lines up.

Jorgeh0605

Than you shouldn't count Wes Welker as he lines up in the slot as sees similar matchups as those TE's .

Memphis Ram

Legend
Found it interesting that the announcer on the broadcast pointed out how someone on the Rams stated that Davis had trouble locating Austin due to his size.

T.Y. Hilton - Andrew Luck 6'4"
Antonio Brown - Ben Roethlisberger 6'5"
Steve Smith - Joe Flacco 6'6", Cam Newton 6'5"
Emmanuel Sanders - Peyton Manning 6'5"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Found it interesting that the announcer on the broadcast pointed out how someone on the Rams stated that Davis had trouble locating Austin due to his size.

T.Y. Hilton - Andrew Luck 6'4"
Antonio Brown - Ben Roethlisberger 6'5"
Steve Smith - Joe Flacco 6'6", Cam Newton 6'5"
Emmanuel Sanders - Peyton Manning 6'5"

Yea, that made a lot of sense. It seems like we've gone away from a lot of crossing routes and Davis seems to miss them when we do run them. Which is a major issue because those are where Cook, Austin, and Givens are most dangerous.

No.

That's the point, though. It's not size. It's targets. Taint is still winning with ability. So it's not a lack of Calvin so much as it is the increase in targets that coincides with not having Calvin.

I disagree. If you want TDs, big WRs are absolutely necessary and the TD leaders year in and year out seem to prove that. I like big and athletic with hands. Not saying 6 foot and under guys can't be great, they are and can be used against bigger DBs who can't flip their hips as quickly or change direction as fast but... I like a WR that can go up and high point the ball. And I think it's harder finding those smaller WRs that can be really good, than bigger WRs.

Furthermore, those big-bodied WRs are more often going to be key cogs in power run schemes/plays. Blocking from a WR is an underrated skill.

When Graham lines up, what is it, like 75% of the time? as a WR? Yea, I consider him a WR. Being a huge force of nature doesn't mean much. I consider Cook a glorified TE who's really a WR as well, if only because his inability to block. Don't care where he lines up.

Cook has actually been blocked well. It doesn't matter where Graham or Cook line up. It matters what coverage they see.

Just like YAC, blocking ability is more about skill and attitude than size.

You can disagree all you want. You're still wrong. Go watch the GSOT. Normally, I wouldn't tell someone their opinion is wrong but in this case, it simply can't be defended. You don't NEED a big WR. We've seen plenty of offenses without big WRs thrive...and those offenses scored plenty of TDs...including our GSOT.

Than you shouldn't count Wes Welker as he lines up in the slot as sees similar matchups as those TE's .

Wes Welker still faces CBs. A number of the big WRs including Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, and Larry Fitzgerald line-up in the slot on a good sized percentage of plays.

TEs are not WRs. WRs are not TEs.

Jorgeh0605

Wes Welker still faces CBs. A number of the big WRs including Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, and Larry Fitzgerald line-up in the slot on a good sized percentage of plays.

TEs are not WRs. WRs are not TEs.

Since we seem to share the same opinion about this thread I'm going to save our minute disagreement regarding TE vs WR for another day on another thread. When that day comes, you be prepared for a battle of the minds my friend!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since we seem to share the same opinion about this thread I'm going to save our minute disagreement regarding TE vs WR for another day on another thread. When that day comes, you be prepared for a battle of the minds my friend!

Battle of the mimes? I'll be ready. I finally escaped from that damned invisible glass box.