A couple thoughts about the AD contract negotiations...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
AD will play for the Rams at least through the '20 season if they choose to tag him twice.

That's the WORST case scenario.

Hopefully, he can be a Ram for his entire career. He will be if cooler heads prevail on both sides.

But he's not a "must have", fellas. Even though he's putting up HOF type numbers in his first 3 years.

Here's my non emotional, strictly business take.

In today's NFL, only quality starting QB's are truly the must haves in the purest sense. Emphasis on quality. You can't win without one. Shouldn't the definition of a must have be that he's absolutely necessary if one hopes to win football games?

There are All Pro players sprinkled throughout the league on teams that don't post winning seasons, much less winning playoff games or the SB. Heck, the Rams are one of those teams!

Sooooo...

I hope that AD and the Rams can work out a contract that makes all parties happy. I really do. But if not, the Rams can enjoy the services of AD for 4 more seasons and then move on just fine, if necessary. They can win football games either with him or without him, IOW.

Goff's success and his contract extension, if he is successful, is of paramount importance, otoh. Goff would then indeed fall into that must have category. But we're nowhere near knowing what Goff's Ram future is, yet.

I'm comforted by believing that the Ram FO seems to have grown ups that think long term nowadays. This will work out. No worries.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
This is a very sane and rational take. On the field, our defense would take a hit, and we'd have to focus more substantial future resources on improving the D-Line. That isn't the end of the Rams as we know them, it's just one more hurdle.

Where I see such a scenario hurting us is in the perceptions/morale of the public and the players themselves. The Rams already have begun to look like a team that doesn't reward its stars, doesn't keep good or grrrreat players in the organization (See Janoris Jenkins, and even Tru if he ends up gone). This could be disastrous in terms of attracting fans and it could be a sticky subject when attempting to attract free agents, when asking future rookies to play on low figures, etc. The players won't put a lot of faith in the prospect that they'll get rewarded down the road, and they'll have eyes for now or elsewhere.

All this aside, I'm pretty confident a deal will get done. I also think if we start giving a defense led by Aaron Donald a few leads to work with, we'll see his value much more clearly.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a very sane and rational take. On the field, our defense would take a hit, and we'd have to focus more substantial future resources on improving the D-Line. That isn't the end of the Rams as we know them, it's just one more hurdle.

Where I see such a scenario hurting us is in the perceptions/morale of the public and the players themselves. The Rams already have begun to look like a team that doesn't reward its stars, doesn't keep good or grrrreat players in the organization (See Janoris Jenkins, and even Tru if he ends up gone). This could be disastrous in terms of attracting fans and it could be a sticky subject when attempting to attract free agents, when asking future rookies to play on low figures, etc. The players won't put a lot of faith in the prospect that they'll get rewarded down the road, and they'll have eyes for now or elsewhere.

All this aside, I'm pretty confident a deal will get done. I also think if we start giving a defense led by Aaron Donald a few leads to work with, we'll see his value much more clearly.

I take your point about the perception of the Rams being willing to let quality starters walk via FA, Austin.

But, otoh, I think one has to admire the Ram FO for drawing a line on salary limits for their players at contract time. This era of the cap requires a team to exercise responsibility or else a team quickly can handcuff itself while facing other personnel decisions.

As to losing Jenkins and McLeod? Well, it's not as if the Rams hadn't already demonstrated the ability to find and develop secondary players.

And as to limiting the ability to attract and sign outside FA? They just signed Whit, Sully, Woods, Dunbar, Webster, Coleman, and Barwin. A pretty damned good looking haul and one that puts the Rams right up to near the very top of the cap. So, to me, that doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Quite the contrary. I think that McVay makes the Rams an attractive landing spot for outside FA's.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You hope that AD realizes the realities of a salary cap and that there are limits as to what the Rams can do and still be competitive.

You also hope the Rams realize that AD should become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

If both sides have that mindset / then a deal is likely.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmm....I get what you're saying 43....but it's a terrible routine we're getting into...lowballing the good players (JJ, Sam, now AD) and overpaying for Tru, Tavon, and a couple of linemen, some that are no longer with us, that were average or on their last legs....We can't draft generational talent, then let them walk...at least trade these guys...IMO.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I am not a fan of playing games with AD, he's shown nothing but loyalty up until now, and he's a once-in-a-decade type talent that should be a Ram for life. I think with the salary cap rising by $10mil every year, it is more than feasible to give AD a mammoth deal now that might end up looking like a bargain 5 years from now. I think @12intheBox put it pretty perfectly, give him the highest contract for a defensive player and structure it wisely.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams43....I completely understand that rational statement....But really friend, FUKK THAT! I have written this elsewhere that the only part that truly connects me with this team is the history of those who have worn the horns. Except for a 4-5 year period, we have been one of the worst team since 1989. It's the memories of players and the performances of Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, Hacksaw Reynolds, Vince Ferragamo, Eric Dickerson, Flipper Anderson, and then the whole GSOT crew (and more)..MEMORIES of them are what has sustained me all of the years of being a fan. Clinically cutting loose of a HOFer like Aaron Donald just because of money, is cheating young fans (and old ones) that will look back on Aaron Donald as a shining star in Ram's history. The last couple of years, often the only bearable thing I could watch was Aaron Donald excellence, while the rest of the team stank to high heaven.

If they let this guy go, I will for one never forgive Demoff or Kronke the rest of my life.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The new CBA handled that. He may miss practice, but he won't miss games - unless he willing to go without pay entirely
Correct, a hold out means no pay.
If he doesn't want to play for his current contract, there's no way he gets to franchise tag time.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to clarify for the benefit of those replying to my above post.

I just LOVE having AD as a Ram and hope he remains one throughout his career.

Hindsight tells me that we blew it on the Jenkins decision. I would love a do over there, but... Jenkins' ask at the time seemed too high, plus I thought we had a sure thing in extending TruJo. Wrong and wronger. Lol.

McLeod was a business decision, especially when the Rams could seemingly find and develop secondary players at will. Remember, McLeod was himself originally a UDFA.

McVay has made it apparently easy to sign outside FA's, so no problem there, imho.

Falling in love with players such as Deacon, Merlin, and Youngblood is understandable. HOFers all. But they all played pre FA. If they had had today's freedom of movement under a cap system, we would have been unable to keep them all, trust me. It's an apples and oranges comparison situation.

But the elephant in the room is this AD extension. I stand by my posted position. Love to keep him but not at ANY damned price. He's a DT, not a quality starting QB. We can win games either with him or without him. I favor saving cap dollars beyond a certain (very high) point for must haves. Maybe around $20 million per? AD is not a must have.

IMO, there is a middle ground where the Rams and AD can meet on a new contract and I feel certain that they will find it. Unlike Jenkins, I sense that AD wants to remain a Ram.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
meh one player doesn't make a team. doesn't matter how good he is. Suh hasn't made his team any better with his 24 mil. Houston actually played better as a team without Watt last season. QB is the only elite player that can carry a team imo the rest are expendable and can be replaced. Patriots do it every year

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
AD will play for the Rams at least through the '20 season....

But he's not a "must have", fellas.

In today's NFL, only quality starting QB's are truly the must haves in the purest sense.
A player that can neutralize the opposing quarterback IS a "must-have".

The people that are voting Donald the best player in the NFL are doing so because he is a game-changer as in a quarterback neutralizer.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just think that Donald needs to be in camp so he is up-to speed with the New "D" and practice against our New "O" for their good and His!(y);):D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
meh one player doesn't make a team. doesn't matter how good he is. Suh hasn't made his team any better with his 24 mil. Houston actually played better as a team without Watt last season. QB is the only elite player that can carry a team imo the rest are expendable and can be replaced. Patriots do it every year
Yeah, but Suh is no Aaron Donald..not even CLOSE. I point to Reggie White leaving the Iggles for Green Bay, and yes, he was a big part of that championship team with Favre. Eagles fan's to this day, regret that White left. White is more closely identified with the Packers than the Eagles now...His legacy with the Eagles is all but lost...

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Yeah, but Suh is no Aaron Donald..not even CLOSE. I point to Reggie White leaving the Iggles for Green Bay, and yes, he was a big part of that championship team with Favre. Eagles fan's to this day, regret that White left. White is more closely identified with the Packers than the Eagles now...His legacy with the Eagles is all but lost...

without Favre they win nothing. defense was ranked 24th in 97 when the won the superbowl

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
without Favre they win nothing. defense was ranked 24th in 97 when the won the superbowl
Since there are many moving parts in a game, there is no way you can know that. Remove one factor, and it may change outcomes. That is why "what if" certainties, are such BS.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Since there are many moving parts in a game, there is no way you can know that. Remove one factor, and it may change outcomes. That is why "what if" certainties, are such BS.

I agree with that and that is why we have no idea what would happen if Donald was removed from our team. Im sure Houston fans gave up when Watt went out and yes he is as good as Donald but Houston played better without him

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with that and that is why we have no idea what would happen if Donald was removed from our team. Im sure Houston fans gave up when Watt went out and yes he is as good as Donald but Houston played better without him
Getting back to Reggie White in that Super Bowl, he had 3 sacks in that game, cementing his HOF credentials. I cannot say (for the same reason) that without him the Packers would have lost....But three sacks in a game at the highest level is fukking incredible! I see Aaron Donald as that kind of impact player.