6th Rounder Trevon Young is ‘Honored’ and ‘Blessed’ to Join the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
templouisville_young_trevon_3--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

With the close of the 2018 NFL Draft, 11 college prospects can now call themselves Los Angeles Rams.

After a draft haul that saw the franchise make moves to acquire 10 selections in Day 3 alone, the Rams were able to replenish depth at multiple positions — bringing in several new, dynamic playmakers.

And now that the big event has come and past, therams.com will be taking a look at each member of the club’s 2018 Draft Class.

Outside linebacker Trevon Young has experienced a crooked path to the league.

The sixth-round draft pick went from a promising talent in high school to Iowa Western Community College — taking a year to develop — before transferring to Louisville. From there Young fought through multiple injuries, suffering a fractured hip in the Cardinals’ 2015 bowl game that caused him to miss the entire 2016 season.

But these factors never stopped Young from working hard and pushing through adversity. He bounced back in 2017 to finish the year with 62 tackles, 4.5 sacks, and five pass breakups.

And as he gets set to join the Rams in 2018, the outside linebacker said that although “most people don’t know a lot about me and my road here,” coming to L.A is “more than I [could have] asked for.”

Here is Trevon Young in his own words:

On how it feels like to be drafted by the Rams:

“It’s such a big relief. I’m so honored and feel so blessed to be part of that organization. I know this organization has some big things ahead of them. To be honest, with my situation, I really didn’t know it was going to happen. I’ve honestly been sick all day just not knowing. But, to finally get that call, I can’t even explain the feeling. It’s so great.”

On how he thinks he’ll fit in defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ scheme:

“I feel like I’m going to be a pass rusher. What I bring to the team is putting pressure on the quarterback or whatever they ask me to do, I’m willing to do. So, I’m ready to go. I feel like I’m a versatile player [and] with practice, I’ll be able to do whatever they ask me to.”

On getting the call after going from high school, to community college, to Louisville:

“I know most people don’t know a lot about me and my road here and where I come from. I’ve been through so much to get to this point. To finally get this call and be a part of an organization like the Rams is more than a dream and more than what I [could have] asked for.”

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like this kid, he was a stud before the injury and it took time to rehab and towards the end of last year, Young was just getting back to his former self. Have a feeling as I posted before, this is a rising stock that the Rams bought low on.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I agree Den.
Due to nature of hip injuries and surgeries it can take at least a year or more to fully recover. The fact that T. Young's play was improving as the 2017 year rolled on is an excellent indicator that he is getting near a full recovery.
It is very possible this kid could be the sleeper pick of our draft and might make quite an impression once TC gets here.

Here's hoping that we got a major steal and he can regain all of his function and ability he had before the injury.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The amount of dedication and perseverance these young athletes have to get ready to play is amazing. You have to admire what these players go through.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam

Now...this guy is a OLB that can remove some doubts...about depth....bunch of Louisville fans...well this one cat....they really like him...think he's pretty young too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You have to admire what these players go through.
you'd be surprised to see what one would be willing to go through to change one's lot in life....

In monetary terms....this is the begging of building an estate....

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I like Okoronkwo as much as anybody, but I think Young will end up being the more productive player over time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...018-scouting-report-for-los-angeles-rams-pick

Trevon Young NFL Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Los Angeles Rams' Pick
Matt Miller
April 28, 2018

hi-res-bff8a1506f33623db2eccc7d4a13eb6c_crop_north.jpg

Timothy D. Easley/Associated Press
POSITIVES

—On the hoof, Young looks the part with a nice frame (6'4", 258 lbs) and length for a 3-4 outside linebacker.

—Agile with good body control and balance on the move.

—Dominated the bowl game with three tackles for loss and a sack against Mississippi State to close out his college career.

—Knows how to use his athleticism to set up blockers and counter with speed or agility.

—Uses his length (33 ¾" arms) well to create space.

NEGATIVES

—Banged up throughout his college career and never lived up to his athletic potential.

—Lacks play strength on the edge and can't handle blockers crossing his face.

—Scouts told us he's been red-flagged over 2015 hip injury; might be off boards.

—Doesn't have the power to be an asset in the run game; no bull rush.

—Finesse player who doesn't like attacking.

OVERALL

Trevon Young has the measurables and athleticism, but it won't matter if teams are concerned about his injury history; especially the hip injury from 2015. He ended his college career with strong performances but still looks like a developmental project for a 3-4 team.

GRADE: 5.50 (Round 7)

PRO PLAYER COMPARISON: Shilique Calhoun, Oakland Raiders

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Spending a 6th rounder on a high productivity guy with an injury history is a good risk.

Rotating him in and out when he's physically able and healthy could be a great move.

Possible cheap productivity when he's in for his snaps.

Last edited: