6ft High and Rising? A Tale of Two QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
*Disclaimer the following will make most of you roll your eyes... and the rest won't read it all. That's ok.
I am writing this in the hope that someone out there finds something interesting in the mixed-up mess of words, numbers and thoughts I will try to present.

There are many similarities between the two Quarterbacks I'm comparing here. When looking at their pre-draft rookie scouting reports, many of the descriptions used to describe their "Pros" and "Cons" in college and potential are completely interchangeable to a surprising extent.
The similarities between them run deep and wide, too.
Both played at small college programs in a spread offense where they put up enormous record setting numbers. Both considered very intelligent and heralded for their natural leadership skills. Both were called "tough" and were known for being "gamers". Both had question marks about their arm talent and being able to throw intermediate and deep passes with enough zip, touch and accuracy to win in the NFL.
There are some differences of course.
QB#1 was drafted 10 years earlier than QB#2, who wasn't drafted at all. QB#1s draft class lacked any real prototypical QBs and was weak at that position from top to bottom with only one first round QB being selected.
The rookie Quarterback class that QB#2 found himself in was considerably different in both depth and prestige and was without question one of the most highly regarded and hyped QB classes since 1983.

FIRST 20 NFL STARTS
QB#1 ____________________ QB#2
QBR - 69.8 _______________ QBR - 79.3
YDS - 4,159 ______________ YDS - 3,848
TD - 21 __________________ TD - 19
INT - 22 _________________ INT - 12
Cmp - 391 _______________ Cmp - 325
Att - 692 _________________ Att - 576
CP% - 60.8 _______________ CP% - 56.4
YPA - 6.01 _______________ YPA - 6.6
YPC - 10.6 _______________ YPC - 11.8

So these two guys who shared so many common traits before starting their first 20 NFL games continued that trend by putting up very comparable numbers. In almost every category QB#2 has the edge, though it's close.
When we account for the fact that QB#1 averaged almost 20% more passes per game, it becomes clear that his only legitimately superior stat is his completion percentage. Both post subpar numbers in that category but QB#2 is clearly losing in that department.
Both of these guys started on bad teams. Neither played in more than one game as a rookie.
...Oh, and neither of them is over 6'1".
(As I'm sure most of you have already guessed)
QB#1 - Drew Brees
QB#2 - Case Keenum

Like so many great QBs, Brees needed time. He didn't enter the league as the badass HOF lock we know now.
He had to learn to play in a pro style offense and he had to continue to learn how to not let his height hold him back from being successful at the next level.
There is no question that Brees has always had a superior arm.
(seemingly more so after the surgery to repair his injured shoulder before being traded to the Saints)

I am 99.999% sure that Keenum will never really come close to being the same caliber of passer that Brees has become..... but it is entirely possible, I'd say probable, that Keenum will continue to improve with time. He will have his ups and downs but if he manages to stick around long enough as a starter, I think he will continue to get better and do what he has always done - find ways to WIN.

Since it's going to be assumed that my post has an ulterior motive regarding Jared Goff, I guess I should be clear on where I stand. I can't wait to see him play and I think he is an awesome prospect and I am still thrilled that we traded up to get him. However, I am also prepared to accept that like Bradford, Brees or any other QB coming out of a spread offense, his adjustment to the NFL might take a little while longer than the average impatient fan wants to believe.
Until he is ready to take over, I'll just relax and enjoy watching Keenum give everything he's got.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Welp. Let's do it like this then.

Keenum has 20 games played, with 19 starts in his career so far.
In those 20 games with 19 starts, he has:
3848 yards, 19 TDs, 12 ints, 56.4 comp%, and a 79.3 rating.

Brees' first 20 games played, with 19 starts, looked like this:
4159 yards, 21TDs, 22 Ints, 59.6 comp%, and a 74.3 rating.

Clearly San Diego was right to get rid of him. Good call. Good job.
We should do the same right now. Before it gets any worse.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Part of me wishes that we just rolled with Keenum this year and not drafted Goff. But I'll stick with the program. I think he biggest difference with Brees and Keenum is arm strength. Case just doesn't have that cannon that's required to be a great QB. I understand Manning didn't have it by the end of his career but you see what happened to him when he lost it. So unless Keenum gets stronger I don't think he will come anywhere close to Brees.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
that's why I never use stats to tell the story. stats are good for FF that's about it

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Part of me wishes that we just rolled with Keenum this year and not drafted Goff. But I'll stick with the program. I think he biggest difference with Brees and Keenum is arm strength. Case just doesn't have that cannon that's required to be a great QB. I understand Manning didn't have it by the end of his career but you see what happened to him when he lost it. So unless Keenum gets stronger I don't think he will come anywhere close to Brees.

I disagree about needing a cannon, and so do most people in the world of scouting and drafting.

You have to be able to make the throws but you don't have to be able to toss it 65 yards, or like a laser 30 yards downfield.

I'd say there are a few things I would value more than a cannon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I disagree about needing a cannon, and so do most people in the world of scouting and drafting.

You have to be able to make the throws but you don't have to be able to toss it 65 yards, or like a laser 30 yards downfield.

I'd say there are a few things I would value more than a cannon.
Bradford had a cannon. He once split Amendola's glove in practice and cut his hand open.
Peyton Manning threw floaters everywhere. They just happened to be perfectly timed passes though.

Brett Favruh - Cannon
Joe Montana - Not a cannon.
Jeff George - Cannon.
Kurt Warner - Not a cannon.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any patterns emerging either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the positive outlook, however I must point out that Brees played 17 games thru 2 seasons where Keenum was in his 5th season before he hit game 17.
By Brees 5th season he was already the all world QB we know today

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Brett Favruh - Cannon
Jeff George - Cannon.

Favruh=accurate
Montana=accurate
George = PSHHHH sucked
Warner=accurate
these 3 guys could win games by themselves without run support. Keenum will have to come out throwing one game and put fear in a defense because of him, then things will change. Keenum is playing well but I just don't see teams fearing him yet.

fearsomefour

Legend

Living in San Diego at the time the general consensus of the fan base was Brees was too small and weak armed to excel. When he injured his shoulder that sealed his fate.
Hard to look at the macro picture with a micro sampling.
It worked out well for both sides in that case b

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
that's why I never use stats to tell the story. stats are good for FF that's about it

Right, and that's why I'm not really a stat guy either.
I included those numbers because they help tell a small part of the story: The similarities between a future HOFer and our highly criticized starting QB.

Maybe Keenum should go see Dr. Andrew's and get some dead guys ligaments and some industrial strength bungee cords installed in his throwing shoulder... or whatever it is they do...

fearsomefour

Legend
Right, and that's why I'm not really a stat guy either.
I included those numbers because they help tell a small part of the story: The similarities between a future HOFer and our highly criticized starting QB.

Maybe Keenum should go see Dr. Andrew's and get some dead guys ligaments and some industrial strength bungee cords installed in his throwing shoulder... or whatever it is they do...
Haha.
The failure rate (pitchers not being able to return their presurgery level of play) is about 20%. That rarely gets press.
That is for elbow surgery. QBs rarely have throwing related injuries.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Favruh=accurate
Montana=accurate
George = PSHHHH sucked
Warner=accurate
these 3 guys could win games by themselves without run support. Keenum will have to come out throwing one game and put fear in a defense because of him, then things will change. Keenum is playing well but I just don't see teams fearing him yet.

The knock on Jeff George was always (and deservedly so) that from the right should to the right fingertips, he was as talented as any QB ever...From the right shoulder to the head he was a total lost cause... I get that...Keenum would still need to be able to generate a little more velocity to ever escape the "game manager" stigma..

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Love the positive outlook, however I must point out that Brees played 17 games thru 2 seasons where Keenum was in his 5th season before he hit game 17.
By Brees 5th season he was already the all world QB we know today

True- but Brees was drafted at the top of the 2nd round.
Keenum was an UDFA.
That's going to make a difference in reps, opportunities and how much time and effort mgmt/coaches will give to make it work.

Had Brees came out in a very strong QB rookie class, maybe he falls to the 3rd round? The reverse is true for Keenum. Based on his NFL career thus far, he probably should have been a mid round pick. 2 NFL teams have started him and a 3rd team was interested enough for the Rams to place a 1st round tender on him. And that 3rd team doesnt likely show interest in a QB that John freaking Elway doesn't approve of.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Your post there was pretty funny, but in fairness to Brees the two don't have many similarities outside of physical stature.

I'm enjoying this run Case is giving us. But he lacks the accuracy and anticipation to compare to Drew, and those two things incidentally are also what mark the greatest QBs. They have to anticipate and they need to be accurate. After that it's whatever, with some guys having strong arms (Marino for example) and others having barely NFL caliber arms (Montana probably had the weakest tbh).

Goff does throw with anticipation, you see it routinely on film where the ball is in the air before his receiver breaks. He's gonna have to work the kinks out on the leadership side I think, I mean he's a really young guy who's got a goofy personality, but hopefully by now the team realizes he's a competitor. His time is coming soon I think.

And if not, well, that means Case is killin it. Which is good for the team and thus all I really care about. Give me a lot more wins and I might even buy a damn Keenum jersey to go with my throwback Goff.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yards and TDs don't always tell a Qbs story as it makes a huge difference in who he is throwing to. If Keenum was throwing to Bruce and Holt his yards and TDs would skyrocket. And don't even get me started on if he had Faulk!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I have to agree with Legatron here. With the way Keenum is playing I would rather we stuck with Keenum and kept the picks. If we were going to let our QB sit for a year we could have taken Lynch (or used the tradw up next year after our roster is set) and spent the other picks beefing up the line (again) or drafting pass catchers that could actually push Quick off the roster. Our OLINE still needs upgrading, which is concerning. Gurley should be at the top of the league, but we can't seem to get any push.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Bradford had a cannon. He once split Amendola's glove in practice and cut his hand open.
Peyton Manning threw floaters everywhere. They just happened to be perfectly timed passes though.

Brett Favruh - Cannon
Jeff George - Cannon.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any patterns emerging either.
Warner definitely had arm strength and could throw strikes when needed. The pass to Quick on 4th down was a perfect example. Yes, he laid it in there accurately but a little juice would have been the difference between a complete pass and what it was.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Your post there was pretty funny, but in fairness to Brees the two don't have many similarities outside of physical stature.

Now, perhaps.

As draft prospects and into the first stages of their NFL careers, they shared many similarities.
Intangibles, small programs, ridiculous college production, start to their NFL careers etc.

And their size shouldn't be dismissed as simply a similarity.
6'1" QBs very rarely start NFL games unless they are a legitimate run threat too.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Warner definitely had arm strength and could throw strikes when needed. The pass to Quick on 4th down was a perfect example. Yes, he laid it in there accurately but a little juice would have been the difference between a complete pass and what it was.
I think that you might be giving Quick too much credit, as we have all seen him drop many perfect passes and not even turn around to catch passes that have hit him in the back! LOL
There is no way to know that he would have caught that pass no matter how it was thrown.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Drew, when throws his hardest, loses no accuracy.
THe stat comparison is compelling. So far, Case is not much of a problem. O line is.