49ers greatest defender on the field today... 3rd down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We cannot expect the playoffs going 1/12 on 3rd down. The one completion... Tavon's touchdown.

While I think the offense has many problems on third down (pass protection, Fole's accuracy and happy feet, WR's ability to catch and run good or right routes), I do think that there is some legitimate criticism of play-calling on third down. It was slightly better this game with some deep shots that at least made the defense respect the down the field throws but we need to open up the third down play-calling. I suspect that in dumbing down the offense we've hamstrung ourselves in what we can actually creatively run on 3rd down.

Of course, players gotta play but we need to open up the playbook here.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know about opening things up today. It appeared like the Rams weren't afraid of the Whiners offense. This created a conservative offense in general. The Rams offense was horrible except for the two big plays. A conservative Rams offense let the Whiners hang around and it could have cost them. The Rams game plan was to play very good defense, have no turnovers (a little luck) and a couple of big plays. It worked out today but I agree they can't be a real contender without opening things on offense.

jap

Legend
It will help to establish some consistent blocking along the OL. With a back like TGII, the 3rd down delay run is a very legitimate play. We got receivers with good hands, like Sted, who needs to develop better separation skills. Either that or Nick has to get better at throwing into tighter windows. Although I like Benny as a 3rd down option, I would much prefer to leave TGII in there since he has a much better handle, can block, and can take it to the house at anytime. If they key on Todd, we can go to Tavon or vice versa. Our big fly boys---Kenny, Quickie, and the TE's---have to get much better and catching & holding onto the rock in traffic . . . that's what big receivers are supposed to be able to do!