49ers at Rams Vent Thread.... Have at it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Yes, this.

If you're a fan of his (not of Goff the Rams player, but of Goff himself), it's going to be too hard to be objective.

We won because of Goff

We lost because of Goff

How many games? Being objective for the first part is hard - but I think we'd be 7-4 with any average NFL QB - question becomes, why are we paying this money? Seems a better strategy would have been keeping Saffold and drafting/acquiring a QB last year to take over for Goff
If you're upset about goff pay check take that up with mcvay. That's 100% on him. That's why I dont get the ppl who always bring it up. Is goff suppose to say no to that contract if he as horrible as some of you say he is?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I get what you're saying, but the defense allowed 16 points, forced three turnovers and scored 7 themselves.

In the NFL, that's incredibly impressive for a defense. We beat our season averages in both points allowed and turnovers.

There are QBs worse than Goff. Doesn't mean he's good enough.

Probably don't want to get into that type of comparison because after today I think Goff, statistically, is probably now in the 20th best QB range. He's also probably close to leading the league in turnovers

Im not at all afraid of getting into it.
I've watched. Both our QB and many others. I also know which QBs have won the most games in recent years, which QBs have been playing with legit #1 WRs or dominant run games or dangerous deep threats and I also know that teams very rarely win games on a short week vs a bye week. I also see that McVays offense has more than a QB problem.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In a nut shell here is what I see.
Goff is hot and cold, but his cold is REALLY cold and always ends up in a loss for us.
He is not the worst QB we could have. He's middle of the road usually, but again, sadly sometimes very very very bad.

Because of the the ridiculous contract the Rams gave him (way earlier than we even had to) the fact now is that he is our QB for the next 3 years, like it or not. We have to do the best we can do with him. I think we've almost seen his ceiling already. The sad thing is he isn't consistently playing to his ceiling.

And this next sentence is no joke. Do you think having millions and a hot girlfriend is part of the problem with his game performance? No, not all of the problem. But maybe some of it?

At the time based on how he was playing, the contract seemed like a smart deal for both. Had Goff continued at that pace, he'd need a contract like Mahomes.

I'm just hoping that Goff took a shower tonight and washed the shit from tonight's game off and lights it up the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

I'd love for this entire convo to disappear in the distance because Goff really turns it on.

I dunno how or even if it happens, but that's what I'd prefer...for sure.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's both. It's not 1 or the other.
But again how do you assess that. Just because the play didn't work ? If Mcvay calls the perfect play but the line gets blown up and Goff gets strip sacked, was it the wrong play? I don't think any of us has an actual answer for how good or bad his play calling is. Sure, we know when he's made a bad play call. But I don't think any of us has the football knowledge to know when he's calling bad plays.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when Reynolds goes deep he can't locate the ball, jump or fight for position.

he looked like he was jogging down the road listening to some music. you're in a football game man, expect to get the ball no matter what the call is.

MachS

Hall of Fame
so you were happy they let the backup qb lead the whiners down the field twice to win the game after the rams had taken the lead?

they did an amazing job keeping the rams in the game but when it came time to close the deal they were like swiss cheese.

that's not disrespecting the defense, that's what happened.

You mean after our offense had a shot to drive down and win the game with 2:30 left and we failed? When Goff missed a wide open Woods on 2nd and 5 and then airmails Kupp on 3rd down?

Yes obviously I would have liked the defense to get a stop there. But why did we turn the ball over 4 times and give them 3 extra possessions and a pick-6? We gifted them all their points. How much less fatigue does the defense have if we dont give them those 4 turnovers? And on top of all that our D provided 3 takeaways for own offense and we didn't take advantage.

Its so lazy to look at the last drive of the game and blame the defense. Especially when seconds before our offense had the game in their hands to win it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, this.

If you're a fan of his (not of Goff the Rams player, but of Goff himself), it's going to be too hard to be objective.

We won because of Goff

We lost because of Goff

How many games? Being objective for the first part is hard - but I think we'd be 7-4 with any average NFL QB - question becomes, why are we paying this money? Seems a better strategy would have been keeping Saffold and drafting/acquiring a QB last year to take over for Goff

team sport.

would have been nice if goff didn't make 3 bonehead turnovers.

would have been nice if the defense could stop the back up qb at the end of the game to close the deal.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
But again how do you assess that. Just because the play didn't work ? If Mcvay calls the perfect play but the line gets blown up and Goff gets strip sacked, was it the wrong play? I don't think any of us has an actual answer for how good or bad his play calling is. Sure, we know when he's made a bad play call. But I don't think any of us has the football knowledge to know when he's calling bad plays.
You're right we dont. The only ones who know the answer are in the rams building. I do know mcvay play calling is not the same as it was in 17-18. I wanna say it because the oline but idk. He never calls the double slant in the redzone anymore that always worked or any swing passes to the running backs. I do know its not just goff. The people who put everything on him haven't liked him from the start and are waiting for him to fuck up which he's making it easy for them as of late.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So has anyone got a solution we can all agree on as Rams fans?. What will win us games, what will it take? If McSnead are legit I sure hope they got the solution.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
no it means if goff wasn't horrible today the rams should win by 20+ points.

but when you're facing the backup qb you expect the d to shut them down when you have the lead and the pressure is on them to score.

Defense can't win you every game make every stop score your points. Short week, tired, when does Goff and the offense bail the defense out and how many times have they failed to do so? This season is what it is because of the defense so please spare me. The defense should have made two more stops???...forgetting Goff was shit the whole game at least make the 2nd and 5 throw to woods and extend that drive get the defense rest. That is also part of the offense's job to give the defense a breather. If you suck on offense at least do something to help out the defense this game and maybe they wouldn't have to be counted on to make every single stop to continuously bail out the offense. Should the defense have scored another touchdown to secure the win cause the offense played worse than middle a school offense???

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because of the the ridiculous contract the Rams gave him

and this is the crux of all the goff hate.

it's not your money man, relax.

the rams aren't in position to draft a good qb and will have to pay the same amount for a good vet qb. that's the going rate. get used to it.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
You mean after our offense had a shot to drive down and win the game with 2:30 left and we failed? When Goff missed a wide open Woods on 2nd and 5 and then airmails Kupp on 3rd down?

Yes obviously I would have liked the defense to get a stop there. But why did we turn the ball over 4 times and give them 3 extra possessions and a pick-6? We gifted them all their points. How much less fatigue does the defense have if we dont give them those 4 turnovers? And on top of all that our D provided 3 takeaways for own offense and we didn't take advantage.

Its so lazy to look at the last drive of the game and blame the defense. Especially when seconds before our offense had the game in their hands to win it.
What's lazy is to blame the quarterback only, which is exactly what you do after every rams loss.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right we dont. The only ones who know the answer are in the rams building. I do know mcvay play calling is not the same as it was in 17-18. I wanna say it because the oline but idk. He never calls the double slant in the redzone anymore that always worked or any swing passes to the running backs. I do know its not just goff. The people who put everything on him haven't liked him from the start and are waiting for him to fuck up which he's making it easy for them as of late.
Yeah I think Mcvay is still showing some struggles. I just can't tell how much is him and how much is the personnel.
As for Goff, I once foolishly argued that he would be better than Mahomes. I was a fan of they guy. But he's a net negative as of late. I don't think he is capable of doing much unless the environment is perfect. And I think the proof is in our record. I think we're capable of beating 70 percent of the league just based on coaching. And the other 30 is where Goff fails consistently to pick up any slack.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you were talking about disrespecting the defense. go ask the d players if they were happy with their performance in the last two drives.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
team sport.

would have been nice if goff didn't make 3 bonehead turnovers.

would have been nice if the defense could stop the back up qb at the end of the game to close the deal.

Team sport, for the other team as well though. We tend to forget that the other guys are pros too. The defense held on for as long as possible. It was a fools errand to try and stop shanny from getting onto field goal range after you've smothered his offense all game long.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
you were talking about disrespecting the defense. go ask the d players if they were happy with their performance in the last two drives.

Go ask Goff if he loved his own 3 rookie-like turnovers and many terrible passes.

He'd probably say, "I need to play better, bla bla bla... but I'm filthy rich you know."

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I don't think he is capable of doing much unless the environment is perfect. And I think the proof is in our record. I think we're capable of beating 70 percent of the league just based on coaching. And the other 30 is where Goff fails consistently to pick up any slack.
Good Qb's should be able to make their own environment and adapt and overcome. Without fans heckling should it not be easier? I don't understand its like a dude riding a Suzuki Hayabusa on training wheels. Like how much of a crutch do we have to be?

MachS

Hall of Fame

I'm saying its disrespectful to the defense to blame this loss on them, yes. Regardless of the last two drives. We gave them 4 extra possessions how could they not be tired?

Defense played well enough to win. They've played great the last 4 games and we've gone 2-2. Because Goff has 10 turnovers in those 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.