OFFICIAL 2022 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL executives ‘monitoring’ Lamar Jackson contract situation, eyeing potential trade​

At a time when salaries for the highest paid NFL players are skyrocketing, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is taking a unique approach to contract negotiations. Despite the organization’s interest in signing Jackson to a long-term contract, the NFL star doesn’t want an extension right now.

It goes against the norm for many of his peers. Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson, signed long-term deals as quickly as possible. In a game where one injury could derail a career, many young quarterbacks want the security of a lucrative, multi-year contract.
  • Lamar Jackson rushing stats (career): 3,673 rushing yards, 21 rushing touchdowns, 224 first downs
Jackson is taking a different approach. After backing off negotiations last year, the 2019 NFL MVP winner is again uninterested in signing a contract right now. The 25-year-old wants to play out his rookie contract, much to the dismay of the Ravens’ organization.

According to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, multiple NFL executives are keeping an eye on Jackson’s situation in Baltimore. While both sides remain interested in a long-term deal in the future, rival clubs are waiting to see if things change because of Jackson’s unique approach to negotiations.

Baltimore has leverage right now. Jack will play out the final year of his rookie contract, making $23 million guaranteed in 2022, before he becomes eligible for free agency. In 2023, the Ravens will promptly apply the exclusive franchise tag to him and he’ll play on that fully guaranteed salary.
  • Lamar Jackson career stats (passing): 64.1% completion rate, 84-31 TD-INT, 98.1 QB rating
NFL teams are hoping that Baltimore gets tired of waiting. If Jackson keeps drawing things out, refusing to negotiate an extension, the implication would be he is determined to become a free agent in 2025. If the Ravens believe that’s the only realistic outcome, their rivals think the organization might decide to trade Jackson at some point.

It seems extremely unlikely, but the 2022 NFL offseason proved crazy things happen. If Jackson ever becomes available, it will be one of the biggest trades in NFL history.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I know there aren’t many Tom Brady fans here, but this is insane, especially last bolded part.

This is just a snip of a larger piece, here;

Brady will be the first to 100,000 total passing yards.

This is an incredibly big number by NFL historical standards — consider that when Brady entered the league, Dan Marino had the most career passing yards (including playoffs) at 65,871.

Brady is the league’s regular-season passing leader at 84,520 and easily the playoff leader with another 13,049 yards, so that puts him at 97,569 entering the 2022 season. That means he needs only 2,431 to reach 100,000 for his career. If you use his 2021 stats as a reference point (313 yards per game), he would pass 100,000 in Week 8. The Bucs are home in Week 8 (Ravens) and Week 9 (Rams), so there’s a good chance he’ll get to pass the milestone in his home stadium.

He’d have to average at least 347 yards per game to do it before those two games, and fewer than 270 per game to not hit the mark before Week 10, when the Bucs head to Germany to face the Seahawks in Munich.

If it isn’t clear how enormous 100,000 career passing yards is, here’s more context: If Brady’s 2022 is close to his 2021 season, he’ll finish the year with more career passing yards than John Elway and Joe Montana (six Super Bowl wins between them) had combined (102,762).

Tano

Legend
I know there aren’t many Tom Brady fans here, but this is insane, especially last bolded part.

This is an incredibly big number by NFL historical standards — consider that when Brady entered the league, Dan Marino had the most career passing yards (including playoffs) at 65,871.

Brady is the league’s regular-season passing leader at 84,520 and easily the playoff leader with another 13,049 yards, so that puts him at 97,569 entering the 2022 season. That means he needs only 2,431 to reach 100,000 for his career. If you use his 2021 stats as a reference point (313 yards per game), he would pass 100,000 in Week 8. The Bucs are home in Week 8 (Ravens) and Week 9 (Rams), so there’s a good chance he’ll get to pass the milestone in his home stadium.

He’d have to average at least 347 yards per game to do it before those two games, and fewer than 270 per game to not hit the mark before Week 10, when the Bucs head to Germany to face the Seahawks in Munich.

If it isn’t clear how enormous 100,000 career passing yards is, here’s more context: If Brady’s 2022 is close to his 2021 season, he’ll finish the year with more career passing yards than John Elway and Joe Montana (six Super Bowl wins between them) had combined (102,762).
I Dont Season 8 GIF by Friends

in the good old summertime i dont care GIF

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What I worry about is WTF is the NFL going to do to prevent a total collapse once he retires for good? Who will sportscasters talk about? What will sportswriters write about? Can the NFL survive an existence without Tom Brady? That's my worry. Hopefully we find out soon

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

NFL executives ‘monitoring’ Lamar Jackson contract situation, eyeing potential trade​

At a time when salaries for the highest paid NFL players are skyrocketing, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is taking a unique approach to contract negotiations. Despite the organization’s interest in signing Jackson to a long-term contract, the NFL star doesn’t want an extension right now.

It goes against the norm for many of his peers. Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson, signed long-term deals as quickly as possible. In a game where one injury could derail a career, many young quarterbacks want the security of a lucrative, multi-year contract.
  • Lamar Jackson rushing stats (career): 3,673 rushing yards, 21 rushing touchdowns, 224 first downs
Jackson is taking a different approach. After backing off negotiations last year, the 2019 NFL MVP winner is again uninterested in signing a contract right now. The 25-year-old wants to play out his rookie contract, much to the dismay of the Ravens’ organization.

According to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, multiple NFL executives are keeping an eye on Jackson’s situation in Baltimore. While both sides remain interested in a long-term deal in the future, rival clubs are waiting to see if things change because of Jackson’s unique approach to negotiations.

Baltimore has leverage right now. Jack will play out the final year of his rookie contract, making $23 million guaranteed in 2022, before he becomes eligible for free agency. In 2023, the Ravens will promptly apply the exclusive franchise tag to him and he’ll play on that fully guaranteed salary.
  • Lamar Jackson career stats (passing): 64.1% completion rate, 84-31 TD-INT, 98.1 QB rating
NFL teams are hoping that Baltimore gets tired of waiting. If Jackson keeps drawing things out, refusing to negotiate an extension, the implication would be he is determined to become a free agent in 2025. If the Ravens believe that’s the only realistic outcome, their rivals think the organization might decide to trade Jackson at some point.

It seems extremely unlikely, but the 2022 NFL offseason proved crazy things happen. If Jackson ever becomes available, it will be one of the biggest trades in NFL history.
For starters, ‘One of the biggest trades in NFL history’ is a bit overblown. The author apparently loves him some Lamar.

Realistically, is Jackson really that good of a QB? He’s just a glorified runningback. Trying to become a free agent in 2025 is very risky. Between now and then he could get an injury or just start to show signs of decline, lowering his value as a running QB.

Personally I think they could do better in the long run by developing Huntley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For starters, ‘One of the biggest trades in NFL history’ is a bit overblown. The author apparently loves him some Lamar.

Realistically, is Jackson really that good of a QB? He’s just a glorified runningback. Trying to become a free agent in 2025 is very risky. Between now and then he could get an injury or just start to show signs of decline, lowering his value as a running QB.

Personally I think they could do better in the long run by developing Huntley.
Agreed. In fact I hope the Ravens pay him. It will be funny to see them replace him with a better version the next year then have to pay his ass a huge chunk of their salary cap for the next five years.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

"I know there aren't many Tom Brady fans here, but..." is like going to a bar mitzvah and saying "I know there aren't many Hitler fans here, but..."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd think a guy who had such a groundswell of media interest could get a little more eh? :laugh4:
He got about what people thought and what the Giants were going to pay him, they just put it in accounting tricks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great place for him to put his feet up and collect that check. :laugh2:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The Rams lack of aggressiveness to replace Von has been frustrating. But waiting on von took some players off the board for us. Hopefully a trade is made.

oldnotdead

Legend
Lamar is one of those better 2nd tier QBs I've been talking about. Not elite but good enough to win with, given a good team around him. He's definitely better than Murray and Mayfield. He's been improving as a pocket passer and can actually get through a quick progression, i.e. 3 reads then dump off or run. He's not a smurf and game analytics puts his speed in the 4.45 range. He's got good arm strength though he can be inconsistent when his mechanics break down. He came in raw and has shown improvement in key areas, i.e. Jackson is a work in progress.

QB needy teams will be tempted to overpay for him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The Rams lack of aggressiveness to replace Von has been frustrating. But waiting on von took some players off the board for us. Hopefully a trade is made.
I like their patience. Could be, they know more than we do. I don't see the urgency of paying big bucks for another Edge rusher. I don't see the urgency for that position on a defense that's built around Aaron Donald. AD and Leonard Floyd have had 46 of our 103 sacks the last 2 years. Somebody else got the other 57 and Von only had 5 of them.

oldnotdead

Legend

They don't have the cap right now. They will have to make roster moves because of AD and Kupp to clear cap. Then they need to sign their draft picks and OBJ. Then and only then can they even consider making a move like that. As I've speculated they are waiting until June to make these moves. That will allow them or a trading partner to spread the cap hit.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Is it possible fans are 'misreading' the situation. Sure they wanted to resign Von Miller but they didn't. That doesn't mean they believe they need help at Edge. It just means that they liked Von Miller. Much like fans misread our OL situation in 2020 and 2021. The GM and coaching staff said, "we have our center on the roster" and they did. In other words, did they go out seeking Edge rush last year? Or did they see an opportunity to get Von Miller and made the trade? Is there another Von Miller out there?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They will have to make roster moves because of AD and Kupp to clear cap.
Disagree.

The Donald and Kupp extensions WILL create cap space for 2022.

They will be huge contracts but the way such deals are structured, the initial cap hits are relatively small. Look at the Stafford extension, and the contracts signed by Robinson and Noteboom as examples.

Donald and Kupp currently count for more than $45M against the Rams 2022 salary cap. That number will almost certainly be lower after the extensions are done.

Anyway, that’s my opinion. Guess we will see.