2018 Rams Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
$29M minus @$7M be needed for draft picks and additional $12M heading towards Donald - leaves @$10M, I think Sullivan at @$4M, Dom Easley @$1.5M and Barwin @$1.5M are in play. Leaves about $3M for 1-3 depth players. There may be some creativity in Donalds' 2018 cap hit that would allow more - but that remains to be seen. $$$ flowing.

The $29 mil @OldSchool was talking about was after taking the draft pool money into consideration. So it’s $36.3M overall and $29M after taking $7M away for draft picks.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah bowman signing would be nice and not just for the team. A week ago around here it was all, I love you man. No, I love you. Lately its been, why in the freak would you use a Goddamn colon when its obvious it should be a freaking semi colon!? PULL YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS!

Maybe not that bad but it has been chippy.

BTW, not directed at you Prime. I appreciate your time in giving me posting pointers. And see, I'm using them.
To be fair, colons and semicolons have wildly different uses. I'd suggest staying way from semicolons altogether if you're not 100% sure how to use them.

Don't use your colon improperly, or it may not sit well with you.

(Yes, this whole post was just so I could make a colon joke)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Todd Davis back to Broncos. That is a guy I've been waiting to hear that we signed
Sucks and I'm surprised tbey didn't get that done. Productive solid LB who is 25 years old. A deal that maxes out at $15M over three years. Seems like a bargain to me.
I'm sure the Rams have a plan for the front seven, so far, it seems to be to roll the dice.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You're not going to be able to convince me that they wouldn't give up a 6th or two if they thought a player was worth trading up for. This isn't Fisher, as we have entered a Ram's future of rainbows, moonbeams, and a world filled with topless girls with perfect breast. Sorry, maybe a little over the top there.

That's the same response I would have gotten if I' mentioned trading for BOTH Peters and Talib.

And yet...

I think when all's said and done, we're gonna be THRILLED going into OTAs what our potential roster could look like.

And... we know there's gonna be at least one UDFA who grabs our attention, so...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
FB_IMG_1521341967398.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they up Donald to $20 cap hit this year it looks like they have about $10M cap left. My guess is they would rather pick up 4 decent players vs one more big $$ player with the remaining. So doing the math no one over $2.5M cap hit at this point. If Donald gets more then the $$ pool lowers accordingly.

I don't think Bowman will command all that much money. Most second round free agents don't. Snead said that he would like to shore the weak spots on the roster so they aren't pigeon holed into picking a certain position in the draft. So that means at the least one one OLB, and one nose tackle.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The $29 mil @OldSchool was talking about was after taking the draft pool money into consideration. So it’s $36.3M overall and $29M after taking $7M away for draft picks.

They don't need $7M for draft picks in terms of additional cap space. Remember these picks will replace existing players in the top 51.... in fact your 6th rounders may not even be in the top 51 paid right now.

Again, but let's say they have 9 picks and a rookie pool of $7M... and those 9 picks replace 9 players in the top 51. So if the avg cap number for the 9 players being replaced in the top 51 is $500K, then your needed cap space = $7M rookie pool minus the $4.5M of existing salaries being bumped out of the top 51. So in short the rookie pool does not equate to the cap space these players will reduce of off the current cap number.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Bowman will command all that much money. Most second round free agents don't. Snead said that he would like to shore the weak spots on the roster so they aren't pigeon holed into picking a certain position in the draft. So that means at the least one one OLB, and one nose tackle.

I'm thinking we might just stand pat at OLB with Barwin returning.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm thinking we might just stand pat at OLB with Barwin returning.

If Ebukam starts and they have their eye on someone like LVE, I can see them passing on someone like bowman. If they don't add a FA LB I think we're looking hard at one with the first pick, especially if they feel they can trade down and still get their guy.

By the time we're done adding players before the draft, I think it will become pretty obvious which direction the rams will go with their first pick

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen a lot of speculation about paying AD being extended for "x" number of dollars a year, resulting in a cap hit of "x". But we're already committed to paying him "y" number of dollars for this year. So shouldn't we be subtracting for this year "x-y" from our available dollars this year. (eg. 20-7 =13 million less available dollars this year).

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen a lot of speculation about paying AD being extended for "x" number of dollars a year, resulting in a cap hit of "x". But we're already committed to paying him "y" number of dollars for this year. So shouldn't we be subtracting for this year "x-y" from our available dollars this year. (eg. 20-7 =13 million less available dollars this year).

Yes, but there's also been speculation/rumors that the Rams will be frontloading his contract a bit - so that if it's $20 million per year average, the Rams will want to have the cap hit be more in 2018 since Gurley and Goff are coming due.

Incidentally, I think that if the contract for AD were going to only be $20 million per - it would have been done already. I suspect he wants considerably more, or the rumored opt out clause.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes.