1st Photos of Pluto!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" COOL!!"

2015-07-14T142310Z_1698474657_GF10000158950_RTRMADP_3_SPACE-PLUTO.jpg
2015-07-14T131608Z_880399231_GF10000158905_RTRMADP_3_SPACE-PLUTO.jpg
2015-07-14T133501Z_1042444148_GF10000158929_RTRMADP_3_SPACE-PLUTO.jpg
Pluto1.jpg

Great stuff!!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Updated family portrait. Our universe is simply amazing.
Screenshot_2015-07-14-12-39-03-1.png

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope we don't get these kinds of high resolution pictures of Uranus!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Updated family portrait. Our universe is simply amazing. View attachment 7981
Soon this picture will be used to show a very rare occurrence in the solar system where the planets align in a grid pattern that will make the earth tilt on its axis, melt all the ice caps, and make Panama the new North Pole.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wait until tomorrow, that's when we'll get the good stuff. It takes about 4 and a half hours to get information from New Horizons, so the initial flyby and shortly after has been all about making sure it's all okay. Tonight we should start getting the higher resolution pictures in, that's going to be really exciting. The photo's above were taken before the flyby, so it gets even better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's more round than I expected.

Since it was classified as a dwarf planet, I expected something that didn't look like... A planet!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can't wait to see the pics that come out next... they are going to be the best ones ever taken and show the most detail of all the pics this mission will ever take.

The heart shaped area makes me think that it is going to be given a "Lovely" name soon.

Very cool stuff. I've been looking at all of the pics of Pluto for the last month or more... they've gone from being what looked like a blur of light to this.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't wait to see the pics that come out next... they are going to be the best ones ever taken and show the most detail of all the pics this mission will ever take.

The heart shaped area makes me think that it is going to given a "Lovely" name soon.

Very cool stuff. I've been looking at all of the pics of Pluto for the last month or more... they've gone from being what looked like a blur of light to this.

Just read the next images arrive 9pm EST. I guess we'll see more tomorrow, for sure.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I bet NASA is going nuts right about now

Right about now some of the close up images should be making it back to NASA

Everyone always thought Pluto was just a grey ice planet , and to find out it's actually kinda sorta redish like Mars must be fascinating , looks like it's still covered in ice though , at least the top part

Looking forward to seeing the real close up photos , assuming the New Horizons spacecraft didn't crash and burn on it's way past

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just read the next images arrive 9pm EST. I guess we'll see more tomorrow, for sure.

We get word it survived at 9, which is the important part. It's maddening trying to program it, imagine trying to work your computer with a 9 hour delay. Painful! That's why they just wanted to let it do it's thing and check later on how it did.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We get word it survived at 9, which is the important part. It's maddening trying to program it, imagine trying to work your computer with a 9 hour delay. Painful! That's why they just wanted to let it do it's thing and check later on how it did.

This is such an amazing feat of engineering. It comes off looking simple, but the work that goes into these missions is incredible.

That washing machine size probe that landed on the comet recently. Just amazing. It wasn't perfect. It went to sleep. But restarted when the sun was back on the panels. Just amazing stuff.

Perhaps more amazing was the Apollo missions and what was accomplished back then with the technology available. True science at its best!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
California , early 70's

It's a great pic. Somewhere around here I have a pic of me and Capt. Hook way back in those days too. I was at Disney World though.

I've been to both,,, and both are awesome.