WR camp battles/roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Obviously, preseason games matter for WR depth at the bottom of the roster.

Things I think I think though:

Reynolds quad injury "lingers" and he gets IR'd. Dude just has not done enough to warrant a spot on the 53 (and it sounds like he's just not ready at all to play in an NFL offense yet) but there are always obstacles to cutting a year-of pick and also a worry that he'll get nabbed before he makes the practice squad. If we don't see Reynolds at all during the preseason games, bank on this.

So, the roster will most likely look like this on opening day:
Austin
Woods
Kupp
Cooper
Spruce
McRoberts

Thomas will get activated week 4 and Spruce or McRoberts will get cut and an attempt to get them on the PS will happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Spruce is totally eligible, right?

Outside looking in: Shakeir Ryan. He would have to dazzle on ST/WR in preseason to steal a spot from Spruce or McRoberts right now. Not out of the realm of possibility but definitely just a 10% chance.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
R.E. the practic squad they made some changes recently to it. Teams now can have up to 4 players on it that have players on it that have two years of active service. The active service for this change was increased to active for 6 weeks, which is up from 3 weeks. A player though cant be on the practice squad for more than three years.

A55VA6

Legend
Barring any injuries, I see this. But preseason could change this quite a bit based on injures, special teams contributions, and performance.

Robert Woods
Tavon Austin
Cooper Kupp
Pharoh Cooper
Josh Reynolds
Nelson Spruce

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Seems like Mcroberts is climbing up the depth chart a bit.

I could also see the Reynolds injury 'lingering' such as what they did last year with Spruce.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
McBob had one good practice and he's climbing the charts? I don't know. I need to see more.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
McBob had one good practice and he's climbing the charts? I don't know. I need to see more.

Spruce has never played a real game, but yet still gets praise for being Spruce that rhymes with Bruce? Honestly I am going to need to see a lot more from Spruce.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Spruce has never played a real game, but yet still gets praise for being Spruce that rhymes with Bruce? Honestly I am going to need to see a lot more from Spruce.
I didn't mention Spruce.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I never said you in general. I mention Spruce because people think he should be higher up in the depth chart. I never said you talked about Spruce
I was just confused. I have no opinion of Spruce, and where he should be. I think it's too early. My entire point, is that this is the only practice I've read, or saw that McBob had a good one. I've read or saw all of them.

We need a fast guy to step up. That, I believe in.

Spruce is quite the hot button on this forum.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I was just confused. I have no opinion of Spruce, and where he should be. I think it's too early. My entire point, is that this is the only practice I've read, or saw that McBob had a good one. I've read or saw all of them.

We need a fast guy to step up. That, I believe in.

Spruce is quite the hot button on this forum.

I am pretty sure McRoberts has had plenty of good practices where he has shown growth in the WR position more than last season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am pretty sure McRoberts has had plenty of good practices where he has shown growth in the WR position more than last season.
I hope so. I haven't heard of any.

Other opinions, who have seen him? Tell us what you saw. I hope he's doing well.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could also see the Reynolds injury 'lingering' such as what they did last year with Spruce.

Reynolds being "injured" would definitely help the team's depth chart. He's not going to add too much his rookie season but if they cut him he could get scooped up by someone who liked him in the draft. So yeah I could see that.

McRoberts brings a solid overall game to the equation and some good size, but I still think even if Reynolds is on a prolonged injury list he's got a very tough time ahead of him to make this roster.

Preseason is going to decide all that, as it should.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I've read, KD Cannon getting lots of work with kick off returns and Shakier Ryan ran back a punt for a TD against San Diego in the scrimmage. I wouldnt sleep on Ryan, dude has speed

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[GALLERY=media, 234]RamsWR2017 by DR RAM posted Aug 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM[/GALLERY]

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Shakier Ryan running back kicks and making plays in practice.... if he keeps it up his return skills make him more valuable than McRoberts

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
With Austin and until today, Reynolds out, Thomas suspended, a lotta valuable time and reps are going to guys who were originally thought to have little or no chance of making the roster--guys like Ryan, McRoberts, "other" Thomas.
Guys like Spruce and Cooper are getting more quality reps than they would have had Austin, Reynolds, and Thomas been out there.

Marquez was a casualty as a result of how well everyone is playing. ST play is no longer enough.

With guys like Woods, Kupp, and Austin as no brainers, how many spots does that leave? Looks like Cooper is probably in, so that would be 4 WRs for sure. Factor in the log jam at TE as well, and I really can't see the Rams necessarily carrying 7, maybe just 6.

So how many, and who ya got? If it's just 6, I'm adding Spruce and Reynolds. A new regime can't cut a guy drafted in their first off season w/o seeing what he can do. Right now, he isn't playing and I suspect his quad will be nursed throughout camp.

If it's 7, who is that guy?

Curious what our camp followers who have eyewitness info think.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Woods
Kupp
Austin
Reynolds
Spruce
McRoberts

Thomas

Worst player come week 5, loses his spot to Thomas when he returns. McRoberts is my sleeper this year.

Higbee
Everett
Hemingway
Wilson

I really don't want Harley to leave, but the upside to Wilson is there. And with his size, they may be able to make a blocker out of him. I think having Rogers, makes it easier to say goodbye to Harkey.