Will the Rams ignore conventional wisdom and make offense the priority?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Conventional wisdom says that the Rams should, and likely will, use its top choice, and likely (at least) three of its four Top 100 choices, to bolster its young defense.

Of course, it doesn't matter what conventional wisdom says... it only matters what Sean and Les say. And maybe what they'll say with their choices is that the primary goal is to make offense an "unstoppable force."

It’s already looking pretty darn good. Last year, the Rams' offense was in the top 11 in yards/game (7th), passing yards/game (10th), rushing yards/game (11th) and points/game (8th). Add to that an OL that will likely be improved with Steve Avila taking over at center and Jonah Jackson sliding in at LG, rising players Puka Nacua and Kyren Williams (and, perhaps, Davis Allen) benefiting from experience, a new weapon in Colby Parkinson, and (hopefully) a fully healthy Matthew Stafford and Cooper Kupp. The offense is already pretty loaded.

So... what if the Rams load it more? What if they see an opportunity (even if a trade-up is needed) to upgrade at LT, or add a WR3 who would dominate opposing DBs? What if Brock Bowers drops and the Rams add his skill set to an already formidable receiving corps? What if the Rams don't rest on their laurels at RB and look to add a top guy on Day 2 to create an all-star tandem?

"They're neglecting the defense!" some will exclaim... but maybe there's a twist on the age-old maxim...

Maybe an unstoppable offensive force can cover for a somewhat movable defensive object?

Conventional wisdom, of course, says... NO! Defense wins Championships!

But what do Les and Sean say?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Well, its a copy cat league, question is, were the Chiefs or the Whiners more offensive or defensive centric? This season more then any other for KC was about their defense being very strong. Whiners also likely got there on the basis of their D. Both had more then functional offenses too however.

One thing they were not, 80% on one side of the ball. I'd say we are currently in that range on offense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, its a copy cat league, question is, were the Chiefs or the Whiners more offensive or defensive centric? This season more then any other for KC was about their defense being very strong. Whiners also likely got there on the basis of their D. Both had more then functional offenses too however.

One thing they were not, 80% on one side of the ball. I'd say we are currently in that range on offense.
In $$, for sure.. it's not that bad in draft capital. (the 80% number)

Darious Williams, Curl and White should help elevate the secondary to "solid," imo... Ernest Jones is a very solid ILB.. they'll be playing two ILBs as little as possible, imo.. and getting Lake on the field as much as possible.. he may even start opposite Curl.
Front 7 is where they need help.. they need one starter at edge and one at DL, imo. Brown can start and play 1st & 2nd along with Turner and a draft pick.. but they need to bring in a total of two DL and two Edges, imo.

Can they do that without drafting a defensive player in the first round? I do believe they can.

So, I wouldn't be shocked at all, at this point, if they drafted offense first.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Oh I too wouldn't be shocked, disappointed is the word I'd use.

And sure, they can bring in 2 DL and 2 Edges, but, not picking the top end prospects will make a big difference. Sure, they could hit on another couple 3rd rounders, but, I'd rather lessen the chances of that.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Conventional wisdom says that the Rams should, and likely will, use its top choice, and likely (at least) three of its four Top 100 choices, to bolster its young defense.

Of course, it doesn't matter what conventional wisdom says... it only matters what Sean and Les say. And maybe what they'll say with their choices is that the primary goal is to make offense an "unstoppable force."

It’s already looking pretty darn good. Last year, the Rams' offense was in the top 11 in yards/game (7th), passing yards/game (10th), rushing yards/game (11th) and points/game (8th). Add to that an OL that will likely be improved with Steve Avila taking over at center and Jonah Jackson sliding in at LG, rising players Puka Nacua and Kyren Williams (and, perhaps, Davis Allen) benefiting from experience, a new weapon in Colby Parkinson, and (hopefully) a fully healthy Matthew Stafford and Cooper Kupp. The offense is already pretty loaded.

So... what if the Rams load it more? What if they see an opportunity (even if a trade-up is needed) to upgrade at LT, or add a WR3 who would dominate opposing DBs? What if Brock Bowers drops and the Rams add his skill set to an already formidable receiving corps? What if the Rams don't rest on their laurels at RB and look to add a top guy on Day 2 to create an all-star tandem?

"They're neglecting the defense!" some will exclaim... but maybe there's a twist on the age-old maxim...

Maybe an unstoppable offensive force can cover for a somewhat movable defensive object?

Conventional wisdom, of course, says... NO! Defense wins Championships!

But what do Les and Sean say?
I think Sean is trying to find that magic that he had in the Red Zone with OBJ and Stafford...they made it look easy. Some of the fade's that Matt threw to Kupp in the Detroit playoff game looked awful...so I am expecting Sean and Les to grab a player for red zone magic if he is there when they are picking...heck, they may even move up to grab one if they have their sights set on someone. jmho

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Oh I too wouldn't be shocked, disappointed is the word I'd use.

And sure, they can bring in 2 DL and 2 Edges, but, not picking the top end prospects will make a big difference. Sure, they could hit on another couple 3rd rounders, but, I'd rather lessen the chances of that.
I get where you’re coming from.. but I just don’t want them forcing a pick.
Maybe Latu or Verse will be worth it.
If they ended up with Adissa Isaac & Maason Smith instead of one of those two.. I would be happy.
I’d probably drafting less “projectable” guys, though.. if I’m honest.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Feels to me like they should at the least come out of the first three rounds with a DL and Edge.

Of those two positions DL is easier to fill after round three for run stuffers and rotational types. But I think ideally they get a legit starter then a rotational type later.

Edge may not fall to us. It has to be there. But ideally they will position if necessary to fill it. Also if they get a real stud rusher at the top then DL being more of a heavy rotation is easier to pull off.

So my assumption is that the plan is edge at 19. If they are gone then look at LT if one is on the board. Then wideout and corner. I.e. are there impact types at those spots. If not try to trade down.

Best case scenario in the top four picks would be an Edge, LT, WR, and DL.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The only thing we know is we don't know. They need more help on defense than offense. But its the offense that will determine the success. It seems to me so far this offseason, they focused on keeping Stafford upright on offense and picking up experienced vets for the back end on defense. So its not like they're ignoring the defense. So what will they do on draft day. An edge guy or one of the top two DT's makes sense. But making sure the offense is operating at optimal performance is key to winning during the regular season. Question is, what side of the ball has a higher priority. What they're thinking and what we're thinking may be totally different. Or the same. With a GM like Snead you can't rule anything out.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Tough decision bc of McVays penchant for Offense.

Me we need an OLB upgrade, rd 2 I would love an ILB to go with Jones to help w TEs and over the middle short to intermediate throws a 3 down ILB, a RB in the 3rd and DT or CB or FS, in the 3rd. Then depth after that at including a punt returner and the best kicker in the draft.

We come out with that our defense will be better and our backs room will be stronger.

For me I would make a play for Justin Simmons and not worry at all about our Safeties he is a great FS.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our offense was good last year, but it could be better. We were 8th in Points Per Game.

If the offense is going to be our defining strength, we NEED more investment there. 8th ain’t good enough. We need to be top 5. Therefore… I hope we go offense early.

I’d kiss the ground if we landed Bowers and/or another starting caliber WR. Takes this offense from good to scary!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You know what? Just draft as well as you did last year.. as long as you end up with another edge & DT as good as Young and Turner, it’ll be fine. Lol

Who knows?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
THIS DRAFT, the Rams could go O,O,D,D,D,O,D......... and be just fine if the cards fall right or they could do the opposite. I love it.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
This smells like smoke. Along with the "Rams sniffing around QBs" stuff. The Rams need impact playerS (plural) on defense. There are a few projected to be taken in the 1st round, mostly before we pick. Every QB LT, and WR taken before 19 increases the odds of landing one. MAYBE you can even induce a rival to expend capital to move ahead of you, and take a guy you weren't ever gonna draft.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Just take the best player available, every pick.
And let the chips fall where they may.