Will McDaniels be back with Rams in 2012?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/round-two/will-mcdaniels-be-back-with-rams-in/article_f8fba558-37ca-11e1-b35d-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1icCVxcpv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1icCVxcpv</a>

QUESTION: After his success in New England as an offensive coordinator and then being relieved of his head coaching duties in Denver, folks were plenty excited when the Rams hired Josh McDaniels last year to run the Rams offense. Do you think given the Rams’ failures on offense this past season that a new head coach will really want to retain the services of McDaniels?

JIM THOMAS
I guess it depends on who the new coach is and if he likes McDaniels and the Patriots’ offensive scheme. But the Rams’ offensive flop this season couldn’t have helped McDaniels’ reputation around the league, and sources have told me that if Jeff Fisher is indeed hired by the Rams that he probably would not retain McDaniels to run the St. Louis offense.

BRYAN BURWELL
Despite a rocky last two seasons, McDaniels is still a valuable commodity. A well-placed league source says both the Patriots and Chiefs have reached out to the Rams to seek permission to talk to McDaniels, but no word on if the Rams gave it.

Depending on who ultimately becomes the head coach, McDaniels could be retained. Sam Bradford genuinely loves this offense. He has talked with several QBs and coaches who have run this offense and everyone tells him it takes two to three years to master it. Surprisingly, if given a choice between the west coast offense he learned as a rookie and the ‘Patriot’ offense he used this year, Bradford says he’d prefer McDaniels’ offense.

Just something to think about for the new coach.

KATHLEEN NELSON
More than likely, a new coach would want a guy that shares his offensive philosophy. If his and McDaniels’ ideas jibe on the best way to move the ball downfield, then maybe he sticks around. Probably, though, a new coach would have his own guy or guys in mind for the job. And, if it’s really time for a new direction at Rams Park, I think the coach and GM would want to get rid of unpleasant reminders of the recent past. McDaniels is one of the poster boys for the Rams’ failings this year.

JOE STRAUSS
Since JM is under contract for next season, it would appear retaining him is the path of least resistence. Amazing how STL once considered McDaniels the Spawn of Satan because of his ties to Belichick and TapeGate but he became a savior once named to Spags’ staff. If folks are willing to give Bradford a pass because of this year’s lousy surrounding cast – and they should – JM should receive similar consideration. This season seems to have done little to tarnish his cred among football people.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
It all depends on whether their philosophies match up. I seriously doubt that any head coach would judge McDaniels based on a bad first year as offensive coordinator, especially when he has had plenty of success in the past. Nobody rushed to judgment when Steve Spagnuolo went 1-15 his first year as head coach because the deck was stacked against him. I’m sure anyone who is established enough to be a head coach in the NFL will understand that and recognize that the 2011 Rams just weren’t good enough for the offense to function properly.

Take Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski for example. He was let go from two different offensive coordinator positions in the past – once at the University of Miami and once in Cleveland – and at the end of each tenure the offense was struggling. In each case the reason he was canned ultimately came down to the team having a lack of talented players. Now he’s in Carolina with some talent around and he’s now one of those up-and-coming guys on the verge of being a head coach.

There is no reason to question McDaniels as an offensive coordinator. At least not yet. One bad year on a team that we all know was incredibly flawed isn’t enough for anyone to toss the guy aside and any new head coach will understand that. That coach’s decision to keep McDaniels or let him him go will be based more on philosophy – or the desire to bring in a trusted assistant in his place – rather than on what the Rams did offensively in 2011.

steferfootball

Starter
For McDaniels system to really work, you have to have elite talent all the way around the board.

If you have bad talent all the way around, you get the '11 Rams.

If you have average talent all the way around, you get the 09-10 Broncos.

If you have elite talent, see the Patriots 18-1.

I'm ready to let him go. Too much like Martz imo. I saw the brilliance of his scheme early this year (albeit highly inconsistently), but I think he is too stubborn to have success without an elite team around him.

And I don't want Bradford to be sacked like this year again. It will hurt his growth more than a new system imo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
steferfootball said:
For McDaniels system to really work, you have to have elite talent all the way around the board.

If you have bad talent all the way around, you get the '11 Rams.

If you have average talent all the way around, you get the 09-10 Broncos.

If you have elite talent, see the Patriots 18-1.

I'm ready to let him go. Too much like Martz imo. I saw the brilliance of his scheme early this year (albeit highly inconsistently), but I think he is too stubborn to have success without an elite team around him.

And I don't want Bradford to be sacked like this year again. It will hurt his growth more than a new system imo.
The consensus in the STL media right now is that if Fisher gets hired as HC, then releasing McDaniels is a no-brainer. That's really not Fisher's style. He's not flashy. He's more like Spagnuolo in that he wants to beat you up by running the ball, have a game-manager QB, and play tough D. Which of those things is McDaniels?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think that type of offense is such a huge waste of Sam Bradford.

While we're at it, we should all pitch in and buy a Ferrari, and then never take it over 35.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
While we're at it, we should all pitch in and buy a Ferrari, and then never take it over 35.
You roll that bad boy up and down A1A (beach road) at 20MPH, and you'll get huge returns. Jessssss saying.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
McD has always reminded me of Daniel Tosh from Tosh.0 on the Comedy Channel. If not twins,,, definitely brothers...

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
You roll that bad boy up and down A1A (beach road) at 20MPH, and you'll get huge returns. Jessssss saying.

Going 20 might get them in the car, but if you want those pants to come down you're gonna need to get on the open road and let her feel the engine. :ww:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Only way I see him staying is with a first time coach and he has connections to him or is nudged that way.

McD is probably not going to be a OC anywhere next year since the KC talk dried up. Guess at that point he would end up back with the Pats in some capacity. 12ppg is kind of hard to fade on resume.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now that Bill O'Brien has left the Pats to go coach Penn State, and the Patriots seemingly having no successor, does that open another door for McDaniels? Still a lot of talk about him going to the Chiefs as well. That would be a good haul for the Pats too - McDaniels AND Lloyd.

I'm not entirely sold on Fisher, because his philosophy is pretty much the same as Spagnuolo's. I would have at least taken a look at Sean McVay, the TE coach at Washington. Yeah, he's only 25 (will be 26 this month), but Shanahan really likes him and so do the players. He's somewhat of an offensive savant. But oh well. I guess we can take another look in 2017 after Fisher gets fired in week 13 of 2016.

In L.A, no less.

Same year Donald Trump becomes POTUS.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Now that Bill O'Brien has left the Pats to go coach Penn State, and the Patriots seemingly having no successor, does that open another door for McDaniels? Still a lot of talk about him going to the Chiefs as well. That would be a good haul for the Pats too - McDaniels AND Lloyd.

I'm not entirely sold on Fisher, because his philosophy is pretty much the same as Spagnuolo's. I would have at least taken a look at Sean McVay, the TE coach at Washington. Yeah, he's only 25 (will be 26 this month), but Shanahan really likes him and so do the players. He's somewhat of an offensive savant. But oh well. I guess we can take another look in 2017 after Fisher gets fired in week 13 of 2016.

In L.A, no less.

Same year Donald Trump becomes POTUS.

I really don't want to see the Pats with McDaniels again, PLUS a #1WR.

Trump? Really? lol.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher needs to hire an OC that he trusts, assuming the he's takes the job...I am not impressed with McDaniels whatsoever, although I realize he might have been hamstrung by Spags.