Why Chop Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well ... not sure he'd be credible. Like asking one of us.
Jake does a tad more research then most of us because that's his day job, but fair enough. I trust Snead here and his scouts, however, we have one more week to pontificate before we find out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jake does a tad more research then most of us because that's his day job, but fair enough. I trust Snead here and his scouts, however, we have one more week to pontificate before we find out.
Research without a good eye or instincts doesn't amount to much.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Okay… this is the dumbest joke, but I have to…

If we got him, we’d have to sign Eli Apple…

fe73f694-aa66-4a78-a5e4-f95db0dbb73a_text.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get that they rotated players and he had less snaps; however, you have to wonder why he would leave the field consistently if he was a true difference maker.
They rotated everybody on Defense. They have a better pass rusher in Dani Dennis-Sutton and he was rotated. It was Manny Diaz NASCAR package. Everyone stays fresh so everyone plays fast. He did it as DB also. He didn’t do it as much at MLB but the PSU depth there was not great.
Snap counts:
Chop - 303
Isaac - 400

Have to remember, Isaac played 3 more games then Chop, who was injured and missed game 6, 9, 10 and the bowl game. I'm sure that makes up the snap count discrepancy.
That’s part of it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I appreciate Jake's enthusiasm as a Rams fan. Thing is, I think he's a bit maxed out. Not much room for growth. Would have liked to have seen more from him this year with the COVID year under his belt. There's still a chance he could become a bit more of a technician and offer legit benefit at times but I just don't see a day in and day out dominator here. That said, if you could get him with the right organization, he might shine.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They are going to test his acumen IMHO, remember, how they felt about Kupp, who was able to diagram plays for them, IMO, they understand the athletic ability for Robinson is huge, but they have been fooled before by another with the same surname.
Yeah, that makes sense. I felt like he met their character/intelligence criteria. I was surprised to see them make a trip to Happy Valley. They don’t often draft PSU players. Nick Scott was the first one in years. He was another underdeveloped physical freak type.
Yes, but how much he is not on the field is a concern. His 3 year career stats don’t compare to Von Millers final collegiate year stat line. If that’s not a concern for people than they are certainly braver souls than I am.

I don’t think you draft a rotational player in round 1. Rams are not that stacked.
They rotate everybody, even at RB they split reps evenly with the top two. It’s part of the sales pitch. The NFL likes players with more tread left on the tires, especially at RB. They’ve also got a pretty young and inexperienced DLine coach.
Penn State Homer.
Haha. I am an alum. But I don’t often plug PSU players because there usually aren’t many that would be top NfL talent. They have more underdeveloped players with potential.

Nate Tice said that PSU players usually play better in the NFL because they don’t get developed by PSU coaches. I tend to agree. Deion Barnes is the Dline coach. He’s not very experienced. Franklin seems to hire recruiting ability over coaching ability, with some position coaches, like at RB, DL, TE. He’s got a good OL and DBs coach. Not so coincidentally, that’s what PSU has been bringing to the NFL lately.

This guy has Latu first with a grade over 8, then the next three are Verse, Chop, and Turner all closely rated.

It’s likely Latu goes early then if all three reach 19, it’s pick your poison.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I appreciate Jake's enthusiasm as a Rams fan. Thing is, I think he's a bit maxed out. Not much room for growth. Would have liked to have seen more from him this year with the COVID year under his belt. There's still a chance he could become a bit more of a technician and offer legit benefit at times but I just don't see a day in and day out dominator here. That said, if you could get him with the right organization, he might shine.
I think Chop is the opposite of maxed out. He’s got a lot to learn and can still develop. I hear maxed out about Latu. His frame doesn’t look like it can get bigger and he already seems to have learned all that he needs to. So he may have reached his ceiling.

muggmeister

Rookie
Von Miller
View attachment 65244
Chop Robinson
View attachment 65245

You can compare the t-shirt Olympics, but on field production matters.

I actually like the potential of Chop, but I wouldn’t take him in the first. Maybe a trade up in the second. There’s much safer impact players that the rams can get in round 1
I agree, at least not at 19. Hell Von Miller's junior season outperformed Chops 3 years at Penn State. No comparison to me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This guy has Latu first with a grade over 8, then the next three are Verse, Chop, and Turner all closely rated.

It’s likely Latu goes early then if all three reach 19, it’s pick your poison.

Some of that is dated.

Per today's interview he has Latu first followed by Chop Robinson and Jared Verse closely behind him.

Not high on Turner.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mq1QVVUnzE

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Shawn McVay has always been about what a player has shown on game day, and unfortunately Chop has shown much.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I agree, at least not at 19. Hell Von Miller's junior season outperformed Chops 3 years at Penn State. No comparison to me.
Can't always go by production...I mean, I would lean that way, but some guys develop a bit later, or the scheme can hold them back, etc.... Look at Kevin Greene, a 5th rd pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Shawn McVay has always been about what a player has shown on game day, and unfortunately Chop has shown much.
You are ignoring everything I’ve said in this thread about his production.

But if you are correct then why did McVay just waste his time flying across the country to talk to Chop?

The guy on the video that @Memphis posted seems to think he’s got a lot of potential. Go to around 34 minutes and listen. He had Chop second on his list just ahead of Verse. Latu is first. Latu is likely gone before the Rams can pick.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Chop is the opposite of maxed out. He’s got a lot to learn and can still develop. I hear maxed out about Latu. His frame doesn’t look like it can get bigger and he already seems to have learned all that he needs to. So he may have reached his ceiling.
Umm...

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Its tough to find full game replays, but, I just watched Penn St/Iowa and Chop definitely popped in that game. Probably was his best game of the year. I am still baffled why he had such little production, moreso after seeing him manhandle Iowa. He even lined up inside on a pass rush and got right in the QB's face.

Last edited:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are ignoring everything I’ve said in this thread about his production.

But if you are correct then why did McVay just waste his time flying across the country to talk to Chop?

The guy on the video that @Memphis posted seems to think he’s got a lot of potential. Go to around 34 minutes and listen. He had Chop second on his list just ahead of Verse. Latu is first. Latu is likely gone before the Rams can pick.
These are the days of smoke screens. How many NFL teams fly and travel to talk to players and never draft them? Probably a lot. Traveling to talk to Chop doesn't make it a sure pick. I could be wrong, but all of us could be.