When Do You Hit Up Direct TV ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
I stream the games on my "Smartstream" box.:p It's legal and only pay for the internet once you pay for the box. The money that we bought the box for paid off itself on the savings of not paying for cable TV. We haven't had cable for about 2 years, and I still watch all the shows that I love to watch. That's including ALL NFL games.

I take it this device connects to your computer system? Does it support high definition and high streaming bit rates?

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I take it this device connects to your computer system? Does it support high definition and high streaming bit rates?
It hooks up to my TV itself and has HDMI output. Look up "Streamsmart TV"

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It hooks up to my TV itself and has HDMI output. Look up "Streamsmart TV"
Looks like an expensive Kodi device. I run Kodi on my Amazon Firestick ($40) but have only had it (and hacked it) for a month or so. I would assume I can stream whatever that device will since it is connecting to the same network. I will test it with an out of market baseball game later tonight. Just an FYI that there are cheaper options out there. Raspberry Pi is a great Kodi player and pretty stout mini CPU that can be had for less than 100 with add ons.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They're probably going to start adding Sunday Ticket to my bill in August. Usually around 40 bucks a month. I'll wait till my one year deal is up in October, call them and sign another one year deal. They'll probably credit me for the previous two payments and my next bill will be almost zero. At least thats the way I did it last year.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Streamsmart is a small form factor computer optimized for KODI iirc. If you want to do the same thing for cheaper but without the computing power use a $40 firestick w Kodi and the simply J build or another build of choice.
There is a bit of knowledge needed to do this unless you find a youtube video that you can follow easily

http://myfreecable.tv/streamsmart-vs-firestick-vs-roku/

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lots of good info....I always go year to year...on renewal, they usually offer free Sunday tickey....
I don't need it now....(y) but I'll get it anyway....should be coming up in a couple weeks...

Psycho_X

Legend
I really think the NFL would make more money if they dumped the archaic route of satellite. They could make their own app and control it and sell individual games at $10 a pop or a total package for every game for $300 and I bet they'd make more money. Would probably reduce piracy a bit also. I'd pay $10 for every Rams game if it meant I could get rid of the shit service that requires a cord.

As for the Kodi stuff I've heard it's hard to get quality streams of NFL games that are worth a crap and that it can be unreliable at times. But I have no real experience with it. Not to mention the third party aspect of it scares the hell out of me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have tried these things every year. I read these suggestions and give it a go and never once has anyone offered me the NFL Sunday ticket for free or even half off. Getting past the rep rarely ever happens. They don't want to send you to retention. Then if you do reach retention if they give you something off they want something in return. In 2011 when I had major neck surgery, I called and told them that I was recovering from surgery and the new Governor cut my job out all in the span of two months. I was not in good enough shape to look for a job and we could not afford to pay for Direct TV. They said that they are sorry to hear about my troubles and hopefully I will return to directtv once we are back on our feet. WTF? A friend of mine who used to install said that if they see you have had NFL Sunday Ticket for several years they figure that you wont go without it.

Anytime you enter a negotiation you MUST be prepared to walk away from it. Bite the bullet one year, or maybe even part of a year, and it'll pay off.

Good luck!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I really think the NFL would make more money if they dumped the archaic route of satellite. They could make their own app and control it and sell individual games at $10 a pop or a total package for every game for $300 and I bet they'd make more money. Would probably reduce piracy a bit also. I'd pay $10 for every Rams game if it meant I could get rid of the crap service that requires a cord.

As for the Kodi stuff I've heard it's hard to get quality streams of NFL games that are worth a crap and that it can be unreliable at times. But I have no real experience with it. Not to mention the third party aspect of it scares the hell out of me.

You can bet the NFL is working on doing something like this and has been for awhile.

I've been saying "pay per view" is coming to the NFL eventually......and will to most sports.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You can bet the NFL is working on doing something like this and has been for awhile.

I've been saying "pay per view" is coming to the NFL eventually......and will to most sports.

Right now Rams games cost me just over 16 dollars a game........if you count all 16 weeks. If there are a few prime time games or nationally broadcast games it is up to about 22 dollars per game. That sucks. I hope the NFL has a pay per view and it is something like 10 per game.

If it is more than what I currently pay and Sunday Ticket continues to rise they may just lose a fan permanently. I get YES network and all of the Pittsburgh Penguin games with my 'Choice' Direct TV package. The NFL may force me to say fuck the NFL. I refuse to go back to the day when I only saw the Rams play once or twice a year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I really think the NFL would make more money if they dumped the archaic route of satellite. They could make their own app and control it and sell individual games at $10 a pop or a total package for every game for $300 and I bet they'd make more money. Would probably reduce piracy a bit also. I'd pay $10 for every Rams game if it meant I could get rid of the crap service that requires a cord.

Don't hold your breath. DirecTV inked a $1.5B 8 year deal in 2014. So, not until 2022 or later.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
At $10 a game, I'm coming up with 73,000 pay-per-view viewers per regular season game to break even with DirecTV's deal. I don't know if that's possible when you consider nationally televised games and mostly just away games. Then again, private sales would be on top of commercial like bars and restaurants, so it could work.

HinkoDMayo

UDFA
Name
Hinks
I got the renewal email yesterday and called them today, GabesHorn.

Got it free again. Easy peasey.

First, get to the retention dept. Dealing with the customer service rep is a waste of their time and yours.

Just tell them in retention that you're thinking of changing providers and ask what they can do for you?

After every inducement they offer, just ask, "is that the best you can do"?. Then shut up and wait for their next offer. This "shut up" part is the powerful key.

Keep going until you get what you think is their best offer.

If you get the "wrong" rep, just close your conversation with a friendly comment that you need to think about whether or not to cancel and that you'll call back later.

Always be pleasant, no need to bluster or threaten the poor rep. The rep wants to make you happy and is taught to offer whatever it takes (up to a point, of course).

I haven't paid for my Ticket in years and years. Some years I have had to call back to speak to a more "generous" rep, but I've always been ultimately accommodated.

Good luck, Horn, not that you'll need it, man.
Thanks for the tidbit

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Is there gonna be a dedicated channel for SoCal residents like they have with Lakers and Dodgers games? Hassled with DirecTV last season and got a discount on several packages. Cut my total bill by about 45 bucks. But it was a pain in the ass.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Over the years I've read these posts and laughed because I'm a pretty good negotiator and was never able to get it for free. Last year however, I really did intend on cancelling my service and they gave me a great deal and free ticket.
I may try to get free again for this season, but to be honest, even at $270 its a total bargain.
I get the max package and get Rams in HD wherever I go.
I usually go to a couple NY Giants games and with the cost of food etc it costs me way more than that.
So I'll gladly trade seeing Eli Manning play live for Jared Goff in my living room in HD.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just curious how the NFL game pass works if anyone had it last year. I know you can't watch games live but when do they become available to watch? Do they become watchable the instant the game ends or is it a next day sort of thing? Does Monday, Thursday, and Sunday night games work the same way? And are preseason games live or later? Just trying to decide which route I'm going to go this season.

I think I'm going to dump Directv finally because they've just pissed me off too much lately and there really isn't anything I get through them I can't get else where and for much, much cheaper. Except for NFL games of course. If the game are watchable as soon as they are over on game pass I'm fine with that. I just don't want to wait a day before I can watch them because I hate finding out the outcome before I watch them and that wouldn't be tough if I can watch it the instant it's over. And I don't really feel like the whole searching for illegal streams route.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Just curious how the NFL game pass works if anyone had it last year. I know you can't watch games live but when do they become available to watch? Do they become watchable the instant the game ends or is it a next day sort of thing? Does Monday, Thursday, and Sunday night games work the same way? And are preseason games live or later? Just trying to decide which route I'm going to go this season.

I think I'm going to dump Directv finally because they've just pissed me off too much lately and there really isn't anything I get through them I can't get else where and for much, much cheaper. Except for NFL games of course. If the game are watchable as soon as they are over on game pass I'm fine with that. I just don't want to wait a day before I can watch them because I hate finding out the outcome before I watch them and that wouldn't be tough if I can watch it the instant it's over. And I don't really feel like the whole searching for illegal streams route.

Sunday morning and afternoon games (9:30am ET, 1pm ET & 4pm ET) are available at the conclusion of all Sunday 4pm ET games, and Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday and Saturday NFL games are available following the conclusion of the applicable game telecast.

You can stream them to anything and they offer live radio.