When Do You Hit Up Direct TV ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I was offered free NFL package last season. When is the best time to ask for the free NFL Ticket ? Is it just luck with what agent you get ? Does anyone have a proven way to get the best bonuses? What does the basic package actually cost , as I seem to get lucky each year?

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
I got it by threatening to cancel my subscription one year. Ended up canceling the next year anyway.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I only got it free the first year after that I waited as long as
I could stomach to get the lowest price.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I got the renewal email yesterday and called them today, GabesHorn.

Got it free again. Easy peasey.

First, get to the retention dept. Dealing with the customer service rep is a waste of their time and yours.

Just tell them in retention that you're thinking of changing providers and ask what they can do for you?

After every inducement they offer, just ask, "is that the best you can do"?. Then shut up and wait for their next offer. This "shut up" part is the powerful key.

Keep going until you get what you think is their best offer.

If you get the "wrong" rep, just close your conversation with a friendly comment that you need to think about whether or not to cancel and that you'll call back later.

Always be pleasant, no need to bluster or threaten the poor rep. The rep wants to make you happy and is taught to offer whatever it takes (up to a point, of course).

I haven't paid for my Ticket in years and years. Some years I have had to call back to speak to a more "generous" rep, but I've always been ultimately accommodated.

Good luck, Horn, not that you'll need it, man.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What if they already know you are seeking the ticket for free. They probably have it in their notes . What does it actually cost ?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What if they already know you are seeking the ticket for free. They probably have it in their notes . What does it actually cost ?

Approx $270.

But don't worry about their notes, Gabe.

It's a game they willingly play. Like a mating dance or courtship thing. Lol.

They want you, you want the Ticket. Each side plays a bit coy, but each side winds up happy after "the dance".

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cancelled Direct TV, partially due to this issue. I was a customer for like 11 years, and only got it free once. In the small town that I live in, the telephone company went fibre optic, so I quit Direct TV forever. I am tired of those bastids

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I got the renewal email yesterday and called them today, GabesHorn.

Got it free again. Easy peasey.

First, get to the retention dept. Dealing with the customer service rep is a waste of their time and yours.

Just tell them in retention that you're thinking of changing providers and ask what they can do for you?

After every inducement they offer, just ask, "is that the best you can do"?. Then shut up and wait for their next offer. This "shut up" part is the powerful key.

Keep going until you get what you think is their best offer.

If you get the "wrong" rep, just close your conversation with a friendly comment that you need to think about whether or not to cancel and that you'll call back later.

Always be pleasant, no need to bluster or threaten the poor rep. The rep wants to make you happy and is taught to offer whatever it takes (up to a point, of course).

I haven't paid for my Ticket in years and years. Some years I have had to call back to speak to a more "generous" rep, but I've always been ultimately accommodated.

Good luck, Horn, not that you'll need it, man.
This is the way to do it but don't stop there they will throw in discounts and you will pay less for the next 6 months! I haven't paid for the NFL package for the last 4 years.

Psycho_X

Legend
I go on one year contracts and always re-up the end of June. I just call and ask to cancel my sub and they usually just start naming packages to keep you subbed and one of them is always free nfl package and usually $10-$20 off your monthly sub.

But ever since at&t bought them their customer service has become increasingly frustrating to understand and vice versa. I think i might cut the cord finally this year.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I stream the games on my "Smartstream" box.:p It's legal and only pay for the internet once you pay for the box. The money that we bought the box for paid off itself on the savings of not paying for cable TV. We haven't had cable for about 2 years, and I still watch all the shows that I love to watch. That's including ALL NFL games.

markstewart67

Rookie
Got mine already! Listen to me peeps and listen to me carefully...Call Direct Tv and ask for the retention dept, when you get the retention dept be very nice and tell them you have no intention on canceling DirecTV, but you want to ask them for a favor, because they're the only people that can help (makes them feel special and they'll want to show you what they can do) When they ask you what you need the..... Tell them that you would like a little help with the NFL Ticket, because your financial situation isn't going as well as you'd like....say something like...Its hard payin all the bills these days (They'll want to help you more now because they can relate). It's all about staying positive and being polite. You gotta remember they mostly deal with angry people, so they love when they get that polite and kind customer. Killing with kindness works. I've had NFL ticket max for the last 3 years completely free....not a dime!! And to boot they even throw down extra shit for the hell of it!! I just called 3 dats ago and got my NFL Ticket Max, choice package, And with all the HD and reciever charges for 2 tv's and taxes they love throw in my total Monthly bill is only $77!! Killem with kindness....trust me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have tried these things every year. I read these suggestions and give it a go and never once has anyone offered me the NFL Sunday ticket for free or even half off. Getting past the rep rarely ever happens. They don't want to send you to retention. Then if you do reach retention if they give you something off they want something in return. In 2011 when I had major neck surgery, I called and told them that I was recovering from surgery and the new Governor cut my job out all in the span of two months. I was not in good enough shape to look for a job and we could not afford to pay for Direct TV. They said that they are sorry to hear about my troubles and hopefully I will return to directtv once we are back on our feet. WTF? A friend of mine who used to install said that if they see you have had NFL Sunday Ticket for several years they figure that you wont go without it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I have tried these things every year. I read these suggestions and give it a go and never once has anyone offered me the NFL Sunday ticket for free or even half off. Getting past the rep rarely ever happens. They don't want to send you to retention. Then if you do reach retention if they give you something off they want something in return. In 2011 when I had major neck surgery, I called and told them that I was recovering from surgery and the new Governor cut my job out all in the span of two months. I was not in good enough shape to look for a job and we could not afford to pay for Direct TV. They said that they are sorry to hear about my troubles and hopefully I will return to directtv once we are back on our feet. WTF? A friend of mine who used to install said that if they see you have had NFL Sunday Ticket for several years they figure that you wont go without it.
Sorry to hear that but I would like to clarify one point, they will not just give you the NFL ticket. You have to work for it. If the person your talking to sucks hang up and start over again. I will admit it's a pain in the ass but once u get it for free it's totally worth it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's not cheap.
The most important thing is to NOT agree to a 2 year contract.
Go year to year and you can get it every time you call to cancel.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I use a VPN to get whatever live game-streaming service the NFL offers overseas for $40 a month iirc. NFL Game Pass is it?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was offered free NFL package last season. When is the best time to ask for the free NFL Ticket ? Is it just luck with what agent you get ? Does anyone have a proven way to get the best bonuses? What does the basic package actually cost , as I seem to get lucky each year?

OK, here's what you do:

Call DirecTV. When the auto voice asks what you are calling about say: cancel service.

This is very important as it routes you past the customer service gatekeepers who will low ball you and straight to retention who has all of the authority.

Trying this with customer service first often leads to failure because you may never reach the rainmakers. When the CSR sends you to the golden gods of free Sunday Ticket it means they have failed at their jobs and they probably get dinged.

When retention answers, just repeat I want to cancel my service. They will ask why. Tell them something along the lines of you really like their service but you only ordered DirecTV for the Sunday ticket and you can't afford Sunday Ticket this season. Explain that the local cable station has a better price and you really only need local stations for what you watch other than your beloved NFL Rams. <---- That will even get you pity points!

As others have said, be nice, don't get frustrated or act mad, they will close their treasure chest if you give them a hard time.

So far, this has had zero failure for me. This will be my 4th year free. Last season they gave me all new equipment, some $110 box that lets me stream my recordings anywhere free, and MLB on top of Sunday Ticket. This bounty may have been because the hot sounding female retention rep was also a Rams fan and we talked football for at least 10 minutes during "waiting for the computer" delays. By the way, no one waits on a computer anymore, they are waiting on approval from the Godfather of free Sunday Ticket.

HOWEVER, I am a long term customer, we use pay-per-view, and pay for a bigger package. The credits they have to work with are based on your package and years as a customer. If they don't give it to you, just say never mind, I better talk to my wife first or something. By the 2017 season you should have the credits.

Source: I had business associations with DirecTV for 12 years and the reps I dealt with told me how to get extras.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Getting past the rep rarely ever happens. They don't want to send you to retention.

Read my post. Do NOT go to a rep first.

I surmise that even when you get to retention through a CSR, they know you're not serious because your purpose of the call was not to cancel, but to get a freebie. Go straight in, guns ablazing (nicely), and sell sell sell.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Let me be clear, do NOT call and ask a CSR for retention!

It's probably a red flag that you even know they exist. I'm not saying it won't work, but it's not necessary and the CSR may not even send you there after the 50 questions BS.

Take the direct route, call to cancel:

Hot sounding robot chick: What is the purpose of your call?

You: Cancel service.

Hot sounding robot chick: Are you moving?

You: No

Hot sounding robot chick: Thank you, I'm connecting you (to retention).

bloop bloop bleep bloop

Thanks Hot sounding robot chick!

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I got it by threatening to cancel my subscription one year. Ended up canceling the next year anyway.

I threatened to cancel my subscription and they told me to pound sand.
So I did. Then eventually signed back up and got it then.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have had it for Free for years! Once they give it to you for free it stays that way. they just automatically give it to you the next year. It won't change unless you request a change in your type of service.