What's Going On With Britt? ... Possible answer..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/9/19/6538357/st-louis-rams-kenny-britt

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Kenny Britt was one of the bright spots of the off-season. He brought size, physicality, leadership and a downfield presence. Now, two games into the season the noise has been tempered. The question is why?

What has happened to the Rams low key, genius, off-season pickup Kenny Britt, who mostly every person was just starting to buy into as the preseason came to an end? He's been very quiet so far this season, but why?

So far this season Kenny Britt has been targeted a whopping 3 times.

Lucky for us, it is easy to dissect why the summer hype man has received such little love. Teams are stacking the box with a focus to shut down the run. This leaves more one-on-one coverage on the outside. In other words, receivers are more likely to get open. Brian Quick has had somewhat of an emergence. He has been the first read on the vast majority of passes. In fact, Quick leads the team with 18 targets through the first two weeks. In second, Jared Cook has 12 targets and in third, Lance Kendricks with seven.There doesn't seem to be any sign showing the team going in a different direction.

Due to the effort from teams to stop the run, as well as Quick's refined route running and understanding of the playbook, it has been relatively easy for Quick (aka the first read) to get open. As long as the first read is open and being productive (Quick has 14 receptions for 173 yards), there is no reason to go to option two or three.

The good news here is that Kenny Britt has not struggled to get open, nor has he been dealing with drops or injuries. He simply is not the focus of the gameplan. The bad news here is that Stedman Bailey is returning, which is not really bad news at all. It just makes it that much more difficult to get the ball.

As the season moves along, if Brian Quick continues to be productive - or quite possibly gets better - opponents will began to look to slow him down. In an effort to slow down Quick, two things are likely to happen:

- The running game will open up more, and...

- More passes will be available for Kenny Britt, as well as other receivers

As of right now, Kenny Britt is looking more like a mid- to late-season breakout candidate than a star from the beginning. Let's not beat him up to badly right now. Let's see how the season unfolds first.

Remember, we are only two games in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My answer: He is who he is. But I'm glad he's been a positive presence for our young WRs. However, I am not sold that he's anything more than a role player. Wouldn't be surprised if Stedman pushes him to the bench. Could be wrong, we'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's a healthy sign that he's an afterthought to this point. Quick stepping up finally is such a big deal for our offense, and the news will be even better if Stedman comes in and relegates him to even more obscurity.

Britt is a short term deal. I really hope the Rams aren't dumb enough to give him big money. The rest of these guys making sure Kenny's not a focal point of this offense by stepping up is awesome for the future.

Oh and btw re: SteddyB... I think his impact is going to be felt in this offense. The dude is legit in my book.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Got Sted and Quick on my fantasy, one of these two is gonna be a baller for us that's for sure. Hopefully both!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Britt has been fantastic, I know the numbers aren't there but he almost always have the high safety rolling over to his side. He has opened things up for Quick and Quick has taken advantage of the coverage. When teams start to keep both safeties back then we will see Britt come alive. One thing to remember is that Bradford isn't under center if he was we could be talking about Quick and Britt killing defenses

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want to see, Davis, or who ever is in their at QB this week, Hit 9 different Receivers, so the Cowgirl's don't know who to cover 1st!! that sounds like a good thing to me! And pound the rock of course.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the best part of all of this is that kenny britt isnt causing a scene about it. no whining, crying, etc. so far he's dealing with it rather well. team player attitude. may it continue throughout the season.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
My answer: He is who he is. But I'm glad he's been a positive presence for our young WRs
I agree, what he did for Quick was well worth whatever contract he was signed to. Now Quick is emerging, in no small part due to Britt educating him on route running, using his body, and helping him gain confidence. The fact that Quick might become a 1000 yard WR this year was more than worth it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I just watched the "All-22" video showing the Austin Pettis 3rd down catch. It appeared that Britt had beat his man on a "9" route with no over the top safety. His hands were up as to say "I'm open", it would have been an easy TD. It was a great play either way, but just an observation.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Kenny Britt was a successful addition, if for nothing else, than the effect he had on Brian Quick in training camp.

jap

Legend
We saw the same thing during the GSOT years, especially the first year (1999). When the DC's flooded the veteran Isaac Bruce with extra coverage, rookie Torry Holt emerged as a legitimate receiving threat, scoring TD's in Games One and Two against Baltimore and Arizona, respectively. It didn't help defenses to have the 1998 Rams' receptions leader, Ricky Proehl, around to cause trouble too. Isaac was 'contained' on Game One, 'limited' to only 92 yards on 8 receptions & 1 TD and 3 grabs for 68 yards and a TD in Game Two. :sneaky: Marshall was the known threat at RB, and DC's initially stuffed the box against him and dared the unknown Kurt Warner to beat them with his arm.

As DC's adjusted to Torry's emergence, Mad Mike unleashed the Wizard of Az into the downfield fray, and he exploded for 3 TD's on only 3 receptions for 78 yards in Game Three. With defenses rolling coverage to young Torry, Isaac also took off for 152 yards on only 6 receptions.

In Game Four (against the '9ers), the DC's clamped down on Az (2 grabs for 22 yards0 and Ricky (1 reception for 6 yards). Torry was somewhat limited to 3 grabs for 67 yards. Once more with coverage lightening up on him, the indomitable Isaac took off for 134 yards on 5 grabs and 4 TD's.

And so it will go with our 2014 Horns. When the DC's roll coverage to contain our rising man child, Brian Quick, Kenny & Pettis will start finding more balls headed their way. The returning Sted is sure to make a profound impact in Game Four if he fails to make an immediate sensation tomorrow.

It all comes down to DC's picking their poison on which receivers they choose to lighten up on and who they choose to clamp down on. Of course, all this would be so much more like the 1999 aerial circus if Sam the Ram was the ring leader. :ROFLMAO:

If the DC's drop more defenders back in coverage to attempt to blanket all the receivers (including the TE's), what do you think Zac the mini-Mac truck and Benny & his Jets are gonna do? The same thing that Marshall did in 1999 when the DC's attempted to stifle our aerial show---explode for big running games. It all comes down to how comfortable our 2-headed signal callers get with their opportunities to lead our young talented WR's, TE's, and RBs.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hope we sign him to a couple more years....Draft DGB....and let him school the wr's until they're all ready....I still think he'll grab 50-60 balls this year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As teams start focusing on Quick more, Britt will get the passes thrown his way. I think he will have some very good games for us this year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just watched the "All-22" video showing the Austin Pettis 3rd down catch. It appeared that Britt had beat his man on a "9" route with no over the top safety. His hands were up as to say "I'm open", it would have been an easy TD. It was a great play either way, but just an observation.

I saw that at the game too.....

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Yeah there's nothing wrong with Britt, the issue is there's not enough passes to go around given our scheme and QB situation

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Yeah, he did. Austin got hit right after the threw it though. Think the lane for Austin was just an easier (higher percentage) throw for him to make. Didn't think he was expecting to see a safety close on the ball that fast though lol. Pretty good throw, but it really was a great catch by AP.

More impressive though, is that we're not seeing Britt complaining that he isn't getting the ball. You could see him clapping his hands afterwords congratulating Pettis. This is a great locker room, and a great players coach. He's part of the brotherhood now. He'll have his day in the sun, he has plenty of talent it's eveident on tape. Love to see that as of right now it's all about the team though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hope we sign him to a couple more years....Draft DGB....and let him school the wr's until they're all ready....I still think he'll grab 50-60 balls this year.

Yup he will get his catches this year. Quick is going to draw some attention and that's fine there are other weapons.