What Did You Do Before the Internet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a throwaway question by Gutfeld as he went to commercial break that I thought was interesting. What did I used to do before I bought my first computer in 1997?
1. I read a lot of books (mostly Louis LaMour). I "found" Charles Dickens in an earnest attempt to understand every word that I skipped over in High School. I sat with the book and an almost unabridged dictionary, understanding the meaning of every sentence of "A Tale of Two Cities" more completely. Mr. Dickens was one of the funniest authors I have ever read and the shame is that most High Schoolers who are forced to read his books never understand that due to a barrier of antiquated language.
2. I used to watch a lot of network television and the History Channel back when the subject matter was actually History.
3. I worked mostly on an extra board (Union Job) for Greyhound where I had to be ready for an an 8 hour turn...I really had very little extra time for any normal things like drinking a beer, unless it was right after work. So I'd drive all night from Redding, CA or Boise, Idaho and get to Portland, OR to crack open a Berry Hefweisen beer at 7am. I'd drink 3-5 of them before hitting the sac. I'd also watch Headline News or CNBC to see how my stocks/mutual fund were doing simultaneously...
4. Watched the Rams when they played the Seahawks when not working.
5. Read the Newspaper very contentedly.

So what did you do before the Internet Age?

Psycho_X

Legend
Lol, our internet was down the other day and I was literally sitting in my house trying to remember those days. Wondering how I could be so bored with no internet but rarely was in my younger years without it or a phone/tablet/whatever. Did play a lot of console video games... nintendo, sega, N64, etc. Hung out with a group of friends in my post teen years and drank/played cards/or killed each other in Goldeneye a lot. Worked on family farm, worked on my cars, kept my cars spotless and shiny. Read when I had nothing else to do. Drive aimlessly through the countryside with friends listening to music.

Anyway, as I was sitting around mad that I had no internet I started to create a list of things I could be doing. I've made it a goal to try and expand on that list and actually DO those things even when internet is up. I really want to detach myself from internet dependency as my main source of things to do. Some of it will involve more home projects, cleaning, etc. But also want to just get out of the damn house more lol.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Um, I was a literal child at the time. Can't answer that question, haha.

:p

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read newspapers and magazines. My coworkers and I took turns bringing 2 daily papers everyday. Miss the old funny pages. Strips during the week and a whole section on Sunday.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I bet @Loyal experimented with triangles before settling on the wheel. Squares were also considered.

I on the other hand ate froot loops and watched Saturday morning cartoons in my underwear like a sane person.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Talked to the wife
hangingarchie.gif

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Psycho_X Goldeneye was a blast. That game and Madden changed the way I looked at video games.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Often bought the USA Today newspaper-- and eventually subscribed-- in large part because the Sports Section provided my daily fix of Rams news. Usually just a sentence or two, but better than nothing!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wondering how much money i'd have if i had $1.00 for everytime i read "Late games Not Included" in the sports page. (70's era).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Enjoyed life and people! Read newspapers are watched a bit more TV. Likely sat on the couch more than at the computer desk.