Watching the playoffs. Thinking about something.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Going into today, 6 out of 8 QBs in the playoffs were drafted in the first round. 3 were first overall picks. Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger. Maybe it's time to draft a guy in the 1st?

Side note. Watching Rodgers, man. I wish we had a guy even half as good as him. I don't know if that team wins a game without him at the helm. I want a QB. Please Jeff Fisher, you're our only hope.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Going into today, 6 out of 8 QBs in the playoffs were drafted in the first round. 3 were first overall picks. Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger. Maybe it's time to draft a guy in the 1st?

Side note. Watching Rodgers, man. I wish we had a guy even half as good as him. I don't know if that team wins a game without him at the helm. I want a QB. Please Jeff Fisher, you're our only hope.

There are a lot of QB busts in the first round, but it's clearly the spot most of the starting QB's are found.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Maybe the Rams could get Sam Bradford he was taken #1 overall orginally:whistle::whistle:

Q729

Legend
That's the luck of the Rams. The year we get the #1 pick there isn't jack squat to pick up, not to mention it's the last year of cap-destroying rookie contracts.

magros614

Son of a living legend.
Name
Rob Miller
can you say "Mannion"?

Yes please. Next season I hope to see him play quite a bit. He has the height and he had some good looks early on. If OSU had a better program with more talent, I have no doubt he would have been a much more prominent figure in the draft, and he still has the PAC 12 record for passing yards. He may be a future star for us.

I'm also not terribly excited about the QBs coming into this next draft. Not a good year for them, IMO. I think Keenum or Mannion could be a good bet, with a great WR and TE, and there are some greats coming up this time.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I notice
1. The length of time the QB's have to throw
2. The accuracy of their throws.
3. How wide open receivers get.
4. The imaginative play calling.
5. How many times the QBs hit the receivers in the slot for quick strikes.
These are all things the Rams don't do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I notice
1. The length of time the QB's have to throw
2. The accuracy of their throws.
3. How wide open receivers get.
4. The imaginative play calling.
5. How many times the QBs hit the receivers in the slot for quick strikes.
These are all things the Rams don't do.

Yea...somehow the protection and WRs improve when the QB under center isn't garbage. It's like magic.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yea...somehow the protection and WRs improve when the QB under center isn't garbage. It's like magic.

YsbKHg1.gif

tempests

Hall of Fame
And the Rams have only spent a first on a QB one time in the last 50 years. (Everett trade notwithstanding). Might explain the lack of championships.

Sure have drafted a lot of 1st round RBs though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the luck of the Rams. The year we get the #1 pick there isn't jack squat to pick up, not to mention it's the last year of cap-destroying rookie contracts.

I'm going to disagree with this. I think in another situation, it's likely that Bradford becomes a successful QB. Problem is that the 2009 Rams were one of the least talented teams I've ever seen. Bradford got drafted onto a flat-out bad team with a bad head coach. Keep in mind that the Steelers offered us Roethlisberger for Bradford. That's how highly they thought of him. The Redskins and Browns (Shanahan and Holmgren) both desperately wanted Bradford.

I think we ruined the guy. His lack of durability definitely didn't help but I think if we had swapped him for Roethlisberger, he'd have been a wild success in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Big Ben, that would have meant playing for our terrible team.

The sad truth is that the best thing the Rams could have done that year was trade down for a lot of picks and try to build a NFL roster before going after our QB. But that's pure hindsight. You just can't pass on a potential franchise QB when you need one. We just surrounded him with instability and a bad supporting cast.

I know some will disagree. Some will argue that he'd never have been successful. And they're certainly entitled to that opinion but I do think a QB can be ruined by the circumstances he walks into. IMO, Bradford and Tim Couch were.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And the Rams have only spent a first on a QB one time in the last 50 years. (Everett trade notwithstanding). Might explain the lack of championships.

Sure have drafted a lot of 1st round RBs though.

Funny isn't it? Look at our history of RBs, it's as good as it gets. QB? Not so much.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Let's also remember Tom Brady, probably the best QB in the bunch despite being a Patsy prick, was nowhere near a first round pickup. You can still find gems buried deep.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've long thought Tim Couch could have succeeded in a different environment.

Hell, he helped the Browns make the playoffs. Hard for a QB to succeed when he has the league's worst rushing attack each of his first three years, one of the worst OLs (if not the worst), and one of the worst WR/TE corps. Just crazy how bad of a hand he was dealt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's also remember Tom Brady, probably the best QB in the bunch despite being a Patsy prick, was nowhere near a first round pickup. You can still find gems buried deep.

We did. Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. The odds of us finding another so soon are near zero.

The Russell Wilsons, Tom Bradys, Tony Romos, etc. of the world are rare. Extremely rare. It's like basing your future plans around winning the lottery.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
We did. Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. The odds of us finding another so soon are near zero.

The Russell Wilsons, Tom Bradys, Tony Romos, etc. of the world are rare. Extremely rare. It's like basing your future plans around winning the lottery.

I would just like to think that you could spend your first rounder on an elite player like an Aaron Donald rather than take a chance on a Jamarcus Russell or a Matt Leinart. Will there really be a QB worth taking in the first round at our pick?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would just like to think that you could spend your first rounder on an elite player like an Aaron Donald rather than take a chance on a Jamarcus Russell or a Matt Leinart. Will there really be a QB worth taking in the first round at our pick?

There should be. If it looks like there won't be, trade up.

I love Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, and Robert Quinn...but we had all three of those guys on our team this year and we still ended up 7-9. We need a QB. It's time to take a chance. Yep, you could end up with Matt Leinart...but you could also end up with Aaron Rodgers.

If we want to win a Super Bowl, we need a legitimate QB.