Was Brown as terrible as he looked at RG?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It was definitely his worst game, but I think it had something to do with switching positions. 6 games into his career and he's already had to switch positions twice. All preseason he played RG and then he played LG in his first 5 games and now back to RG.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I wish they'd leave the OL set alone for a while. the switching just adds to the rookies confusion. JMHO

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It was definitely his worst game, but I think it had something to do with switching positions. 6 games into his career and he's already had to switch positions twice. All preseason he played RG and then he played LG in his first 5 games and now back to RG.

Same thing they did with GRob. That didn't aid his development either. You'd think they'd learn.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Same thing they did with GRob. That didn't aid his development either. You'd think they'd learn.
Unfortunately both moves were not planned, they were forced by injuries. Also they had GRob learn both LG and LT, he's raw to begin with why would you overload him?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Unfortunately both moves were not planned, they were forced by injuries. Also they had GRob learn both LG and LT, he's raw to begin with why would you overload him?

Your right & Correct the injuries caused the OL changes. The GRob change was only a few feet & were on the same side. Jamon Brown (rookie) has had to move more than a few feet & he was flipped to the opposite side of the OL. Brown did have more than expected issues yesterday but he is what he is a rookie. Brown will either get better or he will see the bench & rookie Cody Wichmann will get his chance.

Bottom line here Paul Boudreau wanted Garrett Reynolds in the starting OLG position for the rest of the season & the bye was the best time to make the change. PB must feel that the OLG post is the best place for the veteran Garrett Reynold to be successful in his OL in providing the leadership to this very young OL.

Starting Center Tim Barnes was on fire yesterday making major key blocks! Kudos to him & his very good game.

This change occurred with only one injury thus far.........a bit unusual for us we normally have more by this time.:notsure:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Your right & Correct the injuries caused the OL changes. The GRob change was only a few feet & were on the same side. Jamon Brown (rookie) has had to move more than a few feet & he was flipped to the opposite side of the OL. Brown did have more than expected issues yesterday but he is what he is a rookie. Brown will either get better or he will see the bench & rookie Cody Wichmann will get his chance.

Bottom line here Paul Boudreau wanted Garrett Reynolds in the starting OLG position for the rest of the season & the bye was the best time to make the change. PB must feel that the OLG post is the best place for the veteran Garrett Reynold to be successful in his OL in providing the leadership to this very young OL.

Starting Center Tim Barnes was on fire yesterday making major key blocks! Kudos to him & his very good game.

This change occurred with only one injury thus far.........a bit unusual for us we normally have more by this time.:notsure:
Brown will get better, every rookie has ups and downs. Most rookies don't change positions twice within the first 8 games of thier career. I'm betting he goes back to being himself next week. He has looked like our best lineman and has been rated as the best rookie gaurd.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brown will get better, every rookie has ups and downs. Most rookies don't change positions twice within the first 8 games of thier career. I'm betting he goes back to being himself next week. He has looked like our best lineman and has been rated as the best rookie gaurd.

Yeah I'm not worried about Brown either. He's got good strength, mobility, toughness, and he works to improve. Just has to keep working the technique it will come for him. To date he's been up and down but that is to be expected with rooks as you pointed out.

The key for this OL in my estimation is that Brown was moved to the left side to allow for the vet presence (Saffold at that time) to settle down HStein. Who, incidentally, has played above average for a rook with solid play game to game. GRob, meanwhile, was the one who struggled. Now that they have flipped things with the current vet presence (Reynolds) to the left side, I do expect the two rookies to have their ups and downs. Which means the key to this line is the LT position. Will GRob settle down with Reynolds next to him?

Matchup-wise the 9ers are nothing special up front, so I would hope the OL has a good day this next Sunday as a tune-up to that game in Minnesota. That is where they're gonna have their work cut out for them, where an aggressive and well coached front will test their ability to play together along with a hostile environment.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Who in the NFL has a good offensive line this year?

Anyone?
Well, the Pats and the Panthers, at least, seem to have good line play. I do think we tend to overstate the sorry state of OL play in the NFL because most of what we see on a weekly basis is the Rams line and lines that have to go against our D.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He was getting beat a LOT yesterday...sure it was a result of moving him back and forth...he seemed a step late on some plays....Worst game as a pro....easily.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't worry about it too much, guys. I had a great view from the nose bleeds (where your best views come from if you really wanna see what's going on.)

Fellas, they jammed that box all day with minimal safety help until the second half. They were winning the trenches by formations alone, and their D had all eyes on Gurley. If Foles motioned towards Gurley as a potential hand off, they were coming forward. You can say what you want, but we didn't even try to stretch them out. And there were a few times I thought Foles didn't go through his reads. Foles WAS NOT seeing the field well in the first half. The play designs were ultra conservative in form of power running. But you see how the D softened up in the second half so it did work well to some degree. I just hope Foles went to sleep thinking of those deep shots to Britt and a couple nice passes to Tavon and Bailey. That's the answer.

rams2050

Starter
Well, the Pats and the Panthers, at least, seem to have good line play. I do think we tend to overstate the sorry state of OL play in the NFL because most of what we see on a weekly basis is the Rams line and lines that have to go against our D.

Well, the Cheatriots are good because Tom Not-so-Terrific knows what defensive look is coming his way and he can point it out -- like the savant he is NOT -- to his O-line. That helps immensely, I would think.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This oline frustrates me because I really like the pieces. With its experience level perhaps I shouldn't be frustrated after all.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brown got completely blown off of the line a couple of times in one on one blocking and that worries me. i hope that he can improve on his pass blocking ASAP.!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Starks got the best of Brown a couple of times. It was great hand movement and moves that beat Brown. Interesting enough rewatching the game he was beating Brown with moves to the side of his body he wouldn't expect when at OLG.

I'm not too worried. I think he'll learn from this game and just continue to improve.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, the Cheatriots are good because Tom Not-so-Terrific knows what defensive look is coming his way and he can point it out -- like the savant he is NOT -- to his O-line. That helps immensely, I would think.

Let's not forget, Brady makes the line calls in that offense, not the center. It would not shock me if they're cheating but also, it takes emphasis off the offensive lineman allowing them to just play, especially the center.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And also remember that as long as Billicheat and Ball Sucker Brady are illegally taping the other team's practices they will know what to call every time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And also remember that as long as Billicheat and Ball Sucker Brady are illegally taping the other team's practices they will know what to call every time.

Well, quite frankly if they win another Super Bowl I sure wish the Rams would start doing this!

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Well, quite frankly if they win another Super Bowl I sure wish the Rams would start doing this!
They'd throw us out of the league for doing it even once!

jap

Legend
Opposing D's are throwing everything at our young OL guys in an effort to confuse them. These young kids should settle down and be fine eventually . . . like (hopefully) a few games down the road. They are strong, tough, and smart, but they are facing veteran savvy DL personnel and DC's every weekend now. They either grow from this or they get benched. I'm betting on their growth. Besides, they can always take out their pass blocking frustrations by going all out blasting holes for TGII. GRob got so excited after the Gurley Express!'s second TD he forgot how huge he is and leaped in the air to chest bump Todd, knocking him to the turf. We can't have the nascent Gregzilla beating up our superman, can we? :boxing::LOL: