Warner on Bradford: Time to take the next step/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Warner on Bradford: Time to take the next step
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a510f114-3601-527c-8c36-903503db92a8.html

As an unheralded, undrafted player fresh out of the Arena Football League in 1998, Kurt Warner faced a different kind of pressure than current Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

"I knew I got one shot and that was it," Warner said during his visit to Rams camp over the weekend. "So there was pressure with that.

"But I think being the No. 1 overall pick, when a team invests that much in you, and says you're that guy, it's hard not to feel that pressure to live up to that billing."

Part of that pressure, and the next step for Bradford, is the ability to carry the Rams' team, according to Warner.

"I'm the first one to tell you that I understand playing that position has so much to do with the people around you," said Warner, who in the past has criticized Bradford for not taking enough chances down field. "But there's also part of that position where you have to step up and separate yourself and be able to carry a team.

"Those are the expectations that are on Sam right now. They haven't always had the pieces around him to allow him to maybe play to his potential. But being where he's at now, they've got some young talent here.

"It becomes that next step for him. To take that next leadership role. To take more upon himself. It's not easy. It's not easy coming back from an injury, having only played half the season last year. But those are the expectations that come with that position being a franchise quarterback."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with Kurt. It's time for Sam to take control and accept nothing less than perfection from everyone else around him. I've been his biggest defender throughout his whole career, but there's nothing standing in his way now. He has the talent. He has talent around him. And he has a beast defense.

Now ..... GO!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It is time for Sam to shine. We finally have him in a very good situation for the first time in his career. Just stay healthy, that's it. He's got everything else.

It's not just Bradford, though. It's time for THE RAMS to step up. We're contenders as it is, now we gotta bring it home.

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think alot of Sam not taking many chances was because of his lack of trust in the receivers. Also, he's been coached by two defensive head coaches that didn't want him to turn the ball over.
Sam isn't the guy that's been holding the offense back.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Can I ask, what specifically do you take umbrage with?
1. he is a cardinal now
2. he had unbelievtable talent around him both time he suceeded
3 he also experienced incredible failure when in a bad situation or suffering from injury
4. he's a media shill now looking to drum-up controversy to increase veiwership.

i guess i no longer buy into the act.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Ive got a lot of respect for Kurt, but Bradford's problem was never himself. The offense problems were not him. The conservative mentality was not him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
3 he also experienced incredible failure when in a bad situation or suffering from injury

This is what disappoints me.

moklerman

Warner-phile
1. he is a cardinal now
4. he's a media shill now looking to drum-up controversy to increase veiwership.

Not that I agree with any of that, but you really think those are controversial statements by Warner? Do you think anyone that isn't a Rams fan even cares about Warner or Bradford?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
give me a break, kurt
1. he is a cardinal now

You may be swimming in deep waters on this one.:oops:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. he is a cardinal now

What have the rams or cards done without him the last two decades?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What have the rams or cards done without him the last two decades?

Look, I just don't like people dis'ing Sam. I especially don't like former Ram players doing it.

This is the 1st year Sam will have a supporting cast. But wait, now he's supposed to instantly "perform" or else?

Hey, and it's not like Kurt didn't have down years. He understands better than anyone how hard it is to succeed when you're injured or don't have all the pieces in place. But it's now it's okay for Kurt to cast stones at Sam? What's the bible say again, Kurt?

I would have stood-up for Kurt if a former Rams had dis'd him, just like I'm standing up for Sam now.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Now that Bradford has the pieces to work with, it's time for him to take the next step in becoming a franchise QB.

Does anyone disagree with that?

Alan

Legend
moklerman late to the realization:
Now that Bradford has the pieces to work with, it's time for him to take the next step in becoming a franchise QB.

Does anyone disagree with that?
I'd say he already made that step last year.

A 90.9 QB rating with virtually no weapons in his arsenal? He only needs to stay healthy like all the other franchise QBs.

I'd like to see him get into the top 10 this year though. He had the 11th best QB rating last year so that's only one small step for Sam and a giant leap for Ramkind if he can stay healthy.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
He was playing well last year, but it's even more important for him this year to stay healthy. Just like Saffold.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would like to see higher completion % and YPA from Sam this year. If the offense can get us 24PPG, we win 10+ games IMO.