Wagoner's 2014 Season Prediction: Rams 8-8

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
NFL Nation: How will your team finish?
April, 23, 2014
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com

*To read about the rest of the NFL teams' records click the link in the title.'

NFC West

Arizona: 12-4 - Arizona won 10 games last season despite being lost offensively the first half of the season. This year, the front end of the Cardinals' schedule can produce at least six wins. If Arizona finishes the second half of the season just as strong as last season, despite playing five NFC West games, 12 wins is attainable. -- Josh Weinfuss

San Francisco: 12-4 - This offseason may have been bumpy, but the 49ers still have one of the NFL's best rosters. All Jim Harbaugh has done in the NFL is win. I don't expect that to change this season with Harbaugh and quarterback Colin Kaepernick out to prove they are worth big dollars. -- Bill Williamson

Seattle: 12-4 - Still the best in the rugged NFC West with a legitimate shot at returning to the Super Bowl and becoming the ninth team to win it back-to-back. But this is a killer schedule, including half the games against 2013 playoff teams, and two others against 10-6 Arizona. -- Terry Blount

St. Louis: 8-8 - Without seeing the results of the draft, it's hard to see how the Rams have done enough in the offseason to overcome the difficult NFC West. To avoid a third consecutive seven-win season and reach at least .500, the Rams will need to start and finish strong while holding steady after the bye week during a brutal eight-game stretch against teams with winning records in 2013. -- Nick Wagoner

Congratulations, your team is going to the Super Bowl
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 24, 2014

unknown-21.jpeg

OK, so you’ve had a night to sleep on your favorite team’s NFL schedule.

And no matter how you feel about it, you probably don’t feel as good as the fine folks who cover your team for ESPN.

The worldwide leader asked its fleet of beat writers to count up wins and losses for each team after last night’s schedule release.

And they came up with a record of 290-222. Which is neat, except mathematically impossible by 34 games, unless they’ve figured out how to let both teams win on Monday Night Football.

No division was more optimistic than the NFC West, which will apparently feature three 12-4 teams (the Seahawks, 49ers and Cardinals).

Granted, the writers operated independently of one another, and it’s an assignment which was given to them by someone else.

But it just goes to show how pointless it is to try to predict wins and losses in April, before the NFL Draft, before injuries hit, before rosters are picked.

Besides, when I picked them, the league went 222-290.

Yeah I think if the season started today we'd go 8-8.

Anything going on between today and the start of the season?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After a quick glance and trying to be honest with myself I'm looking at 9-7 or 10-6 but who knows, that's why they play the games.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately, after seeing our brutal schedule, I think 8-8 is a very real possibility. That 8 game stretch from weeks 5-12 is killer, even if we are playing well its gonna be tough to come out of that stretch above 500

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Did anyone here think we'd beat Houston, Indy and N.O last season cus I didn't and certainly not as convincingly as we did.

I think the Rams will finish with a winning record but that's all I'm willing to say at this stage

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Jeff Fisher past Titan teams were tough; they have never been so talented on offense. I think Fisher has more talent on this team than he has ever had.

He took much worse talented teams to 11-5,12-4, 13-3. On defense,
He had some better corners and safeties than we have; On offense, they were never good, don't forget they went to the playoffs with Eddie George at 3.4 & 3.3 yards per carry in 2002 and 2003. McNair had a good 2002, but for his whole Titan career he wasn't much of a 'passer'....though still a good overall QB.

Rams don't have a Julio Jones or Larry Fitz, but they have: Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, Brian Quick and Chris Givens who can be "part time" heroes. If Stedman Baily can have a "Darren Bennett" year, then their offense will be much better than any Titant offense. Fisher had 5 years at 11-5+ with very mediocre offenses that scrapped out drives with McNair's legs and 'throw up' balls that were lucky. I have seen these games, and it is almost ridiculous that he tried to 'compete' with the crap he had. McNair was not very accurate and did not throw timing patterns very often. Bradford is exactly what Fisher wants.

Don't forget Tom Brady sucked in 2001. Watch the Superbowl, he had 90 yards passing before the final 2 minute drive...watch his other games...ya, he is HOF now. Brady did not have the instincts and all that stuff going until 2005-2007 period. Bradford will have a great year with a solid running game.

wrstdude

Rookie
I think 8-8 is reasonable for this team, considering the division. Like mentioned before, they will win games they're not "supposed" & lose some heart breakers.

Keys to the season will be Williams' defense, progression of young players, draft & most importantly health. If all 4 pan out we're a 10 +/- win team IMO.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Some days I say 8-8 would eb a success, and some days i think - we played all of last season with the most passive defensive scheme ever imagined. With Williams at the helm I have to think we'll at least pressure qbs into more mistakes with all of the press and blitz package adjustments.
I think we have a chance to be REALLY good on D and a hell of a lot better on O. No reason we can't be one of those 12-4 squads just as easily as we could be an 8-8 one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Ninets will take a step back this year. With a little improvement the Rams can outplay Arizona. More experience for young players, more stability on the line, a healthy Bradford a and Greg Williams and the Rams will win 10 games.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Personally, I prefer not to "opine" outcomes based upon a schedule, especially at this juncture. To be honest, I chose 4-8 wins in the poll just to participate (based upon 8 wins). As is well known, past performance is not an assurance of future outcomes, LOL. That said, IMO, it will all depend upon injuries and future unanticipated events (draft), player development and game player match-up's.

At this point, ANYTHING can happen, just remember the expectations for the Rams in 73, 79, 99 or NE in 2001.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think Fisher has more talent on this team than he has ever had.

And to expand off that I don't think Greg Williams has had a defense with as much talent as we have... definitely never had a d-line like we have. He's always had to create crazy blitz packages with his LBers and DBs to compensate no great pass rushers across the whole d-line where as the Rams can put 4 on the field at once on the d-line in pass rush packages. We'll add some talent in the draft for the back 4 to help but I think this defense is going to be something special this year.

But on offense we certainly have players to make a case for Fisher's most talented team if they step up plus whatever we get in the draft. But it's hard to compliment this offense over past Fisher teams that have seen the likes of Steve McNair, Eddie George, Derrick Mason, Frank Wychek, Bruce Mathews, etc. We've got potential but until the players step it up a notch we're not close to beating out past Fisher teams in offense.

Edit: As for the article, I like Waggoner. He's not a homer for the team he covers like most writers are. The only team that has the right to be over confident is the Seahawks which is what usually kills Super Bowl winners the year after. Certainly the Whiners and Cards should feel good about their season but 12 wins.... getting cocky with the schedules the NFC West have this year. The NFC West is the best division in football.... but it's going to be a dog fight and the top three teams not even acknowledging that is laughable.