Trade options for OL (POLL)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If you're Snead which way would you go?

• Stand your ground, this OL has enough pieces

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Move AD in a blockbuster deal for a legit starter and picks

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Move Trumaine for a serviceable starter

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Move Tavon for a serviceable starter

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Deal futures picks for the best answer you can find in trade

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Sign a recently retired type or UDFA

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Wait for cut down day and try to find a gem

Votes: 48 51.1%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wanted to throw a poll up on what our trade options are to boost our OL group. This type of stuff is painful for some, I realize, however to get something you gotta give something up and there is simply nothing more important right now to this team's outlook than being able to protect the "point guard" of what will be a very pass-centric offense.

Curious what the board overall thinks is on the horizon here.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd see what guys like wichman and Donal have at RG over the next couple of weeks .... then I'd go the cuts route

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Wichmann played well last night as did Eldrenkamp. They need to split some reps with the first unit since JB is struggling.

I'd also suggest our TEs and RBs learn to pass protect.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I would give Wichmann the nudge over Brown this week in practice and see what happens. My vote is to wait for the cuts and see if there is a player or two we can grab. I don't think we could get anyone good enough through a trade of either Tru or Austin because it might appear we are desperate to dump them and lose any leverage we'd have. I want AD as a Ram for the rest of his career. Due to the recent trade for Watkins, I don't think we should entertain future picks due to the loss of so many with the Goff draft and now the Watkins trade.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Blythe did well as a run blocker at C, can he play RG? I dont know about his pass blocking, but play action will help there once the run is established.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'd be exploring trade options for Tru and/or Austin.

We won four games last year with these two overpaid "stars".

No way AD goes anywhere.

You do not part with elite QB's, top echelon LT's, or disruptive DL men that can get after the QB.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I have a crazy trade proposal.

Steelers receive Trumaine Johnson and Aaron Donald

Rams receive David Decastro, 1st and 2nd 2018 pick. 1st 2019 pick.

Boom.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Boom.
That's a very bold strategy Cotton.

Intriguing idea. I want AD to be a Ram forever, but if we continue to struggle offensively it doesn't matter much if AD is a Ram or not.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have been without its best #6th ( Andrew Donnal) OL since TC began. AD is a 3rd season player. Then over a week ago swing OT Pace Murphy a 2nd season OL'er suffered a should/elbow injury that he has been dealing with. That's 2 OL'ers affected here. McVay has said neither injury would be long term issues. Both of these OL'ers once fully healthy can help out with any weak link (Jamon Brown) in this starting OL. Both of the above mentioned players have played OG in their past.

I did not see Rob Havenstein having as many issues @ Jamon Brown did in the first quarter. So I see no problem here with Havenstein. When Cody Wichman (who had replaced Brown the last 2 seasons) was inserted into the lineup he did very well IMO. Looks to me that between Donnal/Wichmann & Murphy we should be able to resolve this one post issue.

One last thing thing here if McVay is counting on Tyler Higbee to back up the right side blocking like we saw early when Brown/Havenstein had their issues then you may want to look @ his mass failures in pass blocking behind them. Tyler Higbee is in total Fail Mode most of the time in pass blocking.

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Boom.

I would wait til the O proves it can score regularly before trading Tru and no way in hell would I trade AD. If AD doesnt want to return to the field he can holdout til hes 40 yrs old!

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams seem to have 4 starters, RG seems to be up in the air. Rams have 3 candidates in Brown, Wichmann and Donnal. One of the 3 will be starting for game one. Rams will look for upgrades on the waiver wire, looking for better backups both for Tackle and Guard.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Rams have been without its best #6th ( Andrew Donnal) OL since TC began. AD is a 3rd season player. Then over a week ago swing OT Pace Murphy a 2nd season OL'er suffered a should/elbow injury that he has been dealing with. That's 2 OL'ers affected here. McVay has said neither injury would be long term issues. Both of these OL'ers once fully healthy can help out with any weak link (Jamon Brown) in this starting OL. Both of the above mentioned players have played OG in their past.

I did not see Rob Havenstein having as many issues @ Jamon Brown did in the first quarter. So I see no problem here with Havenstein. When Cody Wichman (who had replaced Brown the last 2 seasons) was inserted into the lineup he did very well IMO. Looks to me that between Donnal/Wichmann & Murphy we should be able to resolve this one post issue.

One last thing thing here if McVay is counting on Tyler Higbee to back up the right side blocking like we saw early when Brown/Havenstein had their issues then you may want to look @ his mass failures in pass blocking behind them. Tyler Higbee is in total Fail Mode most of the time in pass blocking.

First I've heard of any Pace Murphy injury, Bonifay.

Hell, I even googled it and came up with nothing.

Can you give us any specifics? Might help to alleviate the stench of that performance vs Cowboys.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Any interest in Jeremy Zuttah who the whiners released a few days ago? I know he played C but he also played some OG earlier in his career too. Wonder if hes done at 31 or not.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Boom.
This would be hard to resist. Essentially getting a 2'nd for TruJo and three #1's for Donald. Instant CAP relief also. I'd still be looking elsewhere for a decent CB for depth following Tru's loss. As we know, no guarantee any of those new 1'sts translate into pro-bowlers, but all those picks do give us increased flexibility going forward. If McPhillips signs off on Smart, Trinca-Pasat & Westbrooks being the real deal, this could be quite an opportunity, although I still wait at least until after the Chargers pre-season game to make a final decision on whether we are certain we don't have the necessary current depth at RG. I'd rather not lose Donald, but this is a fair deal in compensation, so i'd probably vote yes as it makes our offense & Goff better right away. Wade may not be too happy about it though. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This would be hard to resist. Essentially getting a 2'nd for TruJo and three #1's for Donald.

I would not move both. Just AD alone would be very difficult for me to swallow. Worst case I'd prefer they play hardball with him for two years then tag him.

Trying to look at it objectively, both DL and WR depth are probably the best depth positions for trade. CB depth might be, even though it would concern me. It's a tough deal, but we might be at the point where they need to bring in some help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First I've heard of any Pace Murphy injury, Bonifay.

Hell, I even googled it and came up with nothing.

Can you give us any specifics? Might help to alleviate the stench of that performance vs Cowboys.

No specifics were mentioned with Pace Murphy other than both he & Donnal were not practicing last week. The knee issue on Donnal has been printed & spoken about by McVay since TC. The first indication of what specific problem was going on with Pace Murphy was when replaced Whitworth @ LT & Pace had that heavy metal & soft cast brace on his left elbow & shoulder.

I have yet to see any details in print on that Murphy issue but it was evident by observing the play of Pace that he was hindered on that upper left side. I will try to get you more info when I run across it my friend in my internet Ram travels:). I'll PM it to you but your past history of responding to my few PM's has been inconsistent..;)

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Worst case I'd prefer they play hardball with him for two years then tag him.

I'm kind of looking at this as a 'best case'. I don't really want to see the Rams on the hook for a $100.+mil dollar long-term contract for Donald when we can pay him closer to $28.mil for 3 years based on his current contract and one year as a franchise tagged player, then after that 3 year time period we might trade him for two first round picks as an 'exclusive' tag if we choose to go in another direction ... or re-sign him at that time, or tag him a second time, ... our option. Either way, the Rams are likely to save millions if they are willing to play the same kind of hardball that Donald's agent seems to prefer. jmo.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I think it's too early to make a trade for a serviceable ol as we may have someone in-house who can play at that level. Just learning that PMurphy was playing hurt last night so that may account for his performance; ADonnal returns this week from what I've read, and before making a trade let's assess Blythe/Eldrenkamp/Williams. Now that RHav has some G experience, we can either keep him at RT or RG and fill the position he doesn't play. After game 3 of the ps if we haven't found an answer then I'd very much consider a trade. No way do I trade AD though unless we get back a HOF player in his prime!!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Wichmann played well last night as did Eldrenkamp. They need to split some reps with the first unit since JB is struggling.
At one point or another Jamon Brown has proved he can make every block.
Just not consistently.

Notice though;
Throughout Jamon Browns entire career though he has never been allowed to settle into one spot.

Some of that is because he has struggled.
Other times he looks like he could settle in possibly and then an injury pops up.

Thank goodness Havenstein didn't forget how to be a right tackle though.

I would say the starting o-line looks a little rough in spots but nothing to panic over yet.

Remember again this is a new offense for Jamon Brown too.
He could easily catch up and get the snap count down excetera in the next few games.

No worries here yet.