top sparq olinemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thehammer

Rookie
the rankings per Zach Whitman
1.Scherff
3.Marpet
5.Fisher
11.Donovan Smith
18. Erving
21 Brown Louisville
39 Peat
56.DJ Humphries gained 20lb for the combine
59 Thomlinson
77 Lael Collins lost 15 lbs for the combine..now back to his usual 320

Whitman still hasn't posted Flowers, Garcia or Cann's numbers

been posting for awhile after Scherff a major drop off in talent..any yes I would trade up 2/3 spots to get Scherff..the drop off is that big

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting. Does Humphries have trouble keeping weight on? And does Collins have trouble keeping weight off?

I really wish that the Donovan Smith that has shown up this offseason was the same guy that played at PSU all of those years.

thehammer

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. Does Humphries have trouble keeping weight on? And does Collins have trouble keeping weight off?

I really wish that the Donovan Smith that has shown up this offseason was the same guy that played at PSU all of those years.

neither Humphries played around 280-285 and needed to gain weight for the combine and Collins lost weight to test well

I love Smith as a prospect but would think Boudreau would hate him...old school my way or the highway type of coach but he should be brought in for a visit

V3

Hall of Fame
Don't want the Rams trading up for any O-linemen. Not even sure I'd take one at 10; still debating. Unless someone special drops(Cooper!), I'm hoping for a trade down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And does Collins have trouble keeping weight off?
La'el Collins has been playing above 320 pounds for a long time now @ LSU ...sure has not hurt him when he is on the field at game time. I fully understand the desire to take the pounds off when your running around in just your underwear for a few days:LOL:.

My take on Collins is that he wanted to give his best attempt to convince the NFL teams that he could be considered a good prospect as a starter @ OLT. As we all know this is the OL post that usually demands much bigger contracts & goes higher in the draft. I do not think the "pound loss issue" figures much to the Rams team considerations in this draft.Snead is not looking for a starting OLT maybe a back up when Robinson is injured but the Rams have our starting OLT.

From all that I seen of Collins @ LSU games down here, his combine & all the documented material on him ......Collins has the ability & talent to play all four OL posts in the NFL. Of those four posts, ORT/ OLG/ ORG appear to be great posts to look strongly at him starting early at. In the Rams case, Collins versatility alone will get the attention of Paul Boudreau. The fact that a 320 plus pound Collins should work well in our OL @ OLG or ORT posts!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
ol_sparq_aboveaverage.png

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
1.Scherff
3.Marpet
5.Fisher
11.Donovan Smith
18. Erving
21 Brown Louisville
39 Peat
59 Thomlinson

been posting for awhile after Scherff a major drop off in talent..any yes I would trade up 2/3 spots to get Scherff..the drop off is that big
Thanks for this post!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.....Does Humphries have trouble keeping weight on?
Yes he has but that should be an easy fix in the pro level. The below past posted post fits real good on this above question.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/do-rams-consider-dgb-in-2nd-round.36194/

DJ, the pure OLT prospect just does not fit real well for our team IMO. However if for some reason that he was there @ #41 in the second round DJ would offer up real good value or the BPA would come fire in here. Fisher's roster is still absent any legit reserve OLT behind Robinson.:notsure: But since Fisher is also absent any real starting OG & ORT..... so the absent reserve OLT is far down the line for most.

DJ could use a full year of living in the Rams weight room & the classroom with Boudreau on fine tuning his skills in pass protection. Never know DJ & Greg could be a perfect left side duo for a few yrs, with DJ pass protection skills & Greg's killer run blocking....maybe it could work. Is DJ a serious prototype starting OLT on a zone blocking NFL team:bueller:?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
hmm. I recall a past Ram Olinemen not being able to keep his weight up....Jacob Bell. That didn't turn out so well. And Fisher was the Tennessee coach back then and didn't fight to resign him.

I see he was listed at 284 lbs. That was very light for an NFL OT.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Don't want the Rams trading up for any O-linemen. Not even sure I'd take one at 10; still debating. Unless someone special drops(Cooper!), I'm hoping for a trade down.

I keep thinking if they can trade back a bit and get an extra third or second they really should. They could still get a good Olinemen later in round 1 and at least 2 in rounds 2-4. Unless of course a top guy falls to ten, but that is seeming less and less likely these days.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
While there is a place for all kinds of metrics, a high SPARQ does not always translate to a great football player.

Tim Tebow, Jonathan Stewart and Reggie Bush have the highest SPARQs ever recorded.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
hmm. I recall a past Ram Olinemen not being able to keep his weight up....Jacob Bell. That didn't turn out so well. And Fisher was the Tennessee coach back then and didn't fight to resign him.

I see he was listed at 284 lbs. That was very light for an NFL OT.

Yes Jacob Bell was way too light to be an effective run blocker in the NFL even though he has success early in his career with Fisher. Your right Fisher wasted NO TIME dumping Bell as soon as he noticed he was on his 2012 roster. In fact the skinny Bell never played a down in the NFL after he was cut by Fisher.

A 280 plus pound NFL OLG will never be effective for any reason with Paul Boudreau. IMO a OLT that is light is not as much of an issue. RDE's usually are much smaller in size & pounds than a light 29o/300 pound DJ. Our own OLT who is 335 plus pounds has issues with those light right side pass rushers.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Yes Jacob Bell was way too light to be an effective run blocker in the NFL even though he has success early in his career with Fisher. Your right Fisher wasted NO TIME dumping Bell as soon as he noticed he was on his 2012 roster. In fact the skinny Bell never played a down in the NFL after he was cut by Fisher.

A 280 plus pound NFL OLG will never be effective for any reason with Paul Boudreau. IMO a OLT that is light is not as much of an issue. RDE's usually are much smaller in size & pounds than a light 29o/300 pound DJ. Our own OLT who is 335 plus pounds has issues with those light right side pass rushers.

Boudreau did go down to Flordia to give him a private workout. If we did trade down and draft Humphries I could see them moving Robinson to the right side. If Boudreau is ok with it I'm ok with it. I was thinkning the same thing about most LEs are gonna be between 260 and 280 and a lot of them are speed rushers. Humphries has the best feet in this draft and would be well equiped to handle these guys even hovering around 300lbs.

Stel

Starter
1.Scherff
3.Marpet
5.Fisher
11.Donovan Smith
18. Erving
21 Brown Louisville
39 Peat
59 Thomlinson

Didn't realize Scherff was that athletic. What about the center from Harvard. Any potential there? Has good size for a center and is crazy athletic. Have to confess I know nothing about him.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Didn't realize Scherff was that athletic. What about the center from Harvard. Any potential there? Has good size for a center and is crazy athletic. Have to confess I know nothing about him.

He is wicked smaht lol.