Top 10 Receiving Corps of All Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just watched a show on NFLN "The Top 10 Receiving Corps of All Time" making a long story short.
* #2 - The Rams GSOT!:D
* #3 - The 1950's Rams!!:D:D
Good God the stats these two Teams put Up!! Did ypu know that in 1950 Crazy Legs Hirsch Caught 17 TD's in a 12 game season, and "Averaged over 48 yards per reception!

OH!
*#1 was the 1981 Chargers "Air Coryell" w/ Fauts!:)
Thoughts anyone!?!:D:D:D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just watched a show on NFLN "The Top 10 Receiving Corps of All Time" making a long story short.
* #2 - The Rams GSOT!:D
* #3 - The 1950's Rams!!:D:D
Good God the stats these two Teams put Up!! Did ypu know that in 1950 Crazy Legs Hirsch Caught 17 TD's in a 12 game season, and "Averaged over 48 yards per reception!

OH!
*#1 was the 1981 Chargers "Air Coryell" w/ Fauts!:)
Thoughts anyone!?!:D:D:D

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HirsEl00.htm

While it isn't 48 per catch he has some amazing numbers. in 51 he blew up as you can see.

His pace for 16 games would still be a record, even ahead of CJohnson's year a few years back.

Whoa!

Fouts/Coryell make the list, but The Show is #1 of forever and all time.

tempests

Hall of Fame
*#1 was the 1981 Chargers "Air Coryell" w/ Fouts!

Holt, Bruce, Proehl, Hakim and Faulk over anybody.

To quote Miklasz, the GSOT was Air Coryell on steroids. In 2000 when the Rams passed for a gross 5492 yards, still the second highest total ever, it was 1028 yards more than the second place team and an incredible 1939 yards more than the league average.

To put that in perspective, the Rams averaged 343 gross passing yards per game while the league average was 222. The Rams averaged 9.4 yards per pass attempt and 14.5 yards per completion, no other team was in the same area code.

I'm not sure anyone has ever been so far ahead of the curve.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HirsEl00.htm

While it isn't 48 per catch he has some amazing numbers. in 51 he blew up as you can see.

His pace for 16 games would still be a record, even ahead of CJohnson's year a few years back.

Whoa!

Fouts/Coryell make the list, but The Show is #1 of forever and all time.
When I said 48 YPC I was quoting thee TV Show, Obviously they where mistaken. But he had some years with some really great averages!

tempests

Hall of Fame
When I said 48 YPC I was quoting thee TV Show, Obviously they where mistaken. But he had some years with some really great averages!

Actually his average TD catch was a distance of 48 yards. Six of his 17 TDs were from 70 yards out or more, including one TD of 70+ in four straight games.

Van Brocklin's 554 yard passing game(still an NFL record) was that same season, and Hirsch caught four TD passes that day.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Actually his average TD catch was a distance of 48 yards. Six of his 17 TDs were from 70 yards out or more, including one TD of 70+ in four straight games.

Van Brocklin's 554 yard passing game(still an NFL record) was that same season, and Hirsch caught four TD passes that day.
Thanks! This^ must be the stats they where referring to in the TV show!(y)(y):D:yess:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
You saw no such special Dave. If you continue bringing your wolf-crying prognostications, the ROD moderators may be forced to gather, and ponder sanctions.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here"s a football fact nugget on both the '51 Rams QB's (Waterfield, Van Brocklin) and the 2001 QB's ( Warner, Bulger). Only one team in league history has had two QB's with the highest passer rating. The Rams. Waterfield and Van Brocklin ended the '51 season rated one two. Not only has no other team in NFL history had their QB's rated one-two, the Rams have done it twice! Warner and Bulger ended the 2001 season the top two rated QB's.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Its an amazing record..........not likely to be broken.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have no argument with this list at all....
and to think with all of those groups defenses could still play defense....

TexasRam

Legend
That chargers team with Jefferson, Joiner, Wes chandler, Kellen Winslow, Charlie Muncie and Fouts throwing.

Holy smokes man. That was something to watch. Not until the GSOT was there anything like it. And since 2001 there hasn't been an equal.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That chargers team with Jefferson, Joiner, Wes chandler, Kellen Winslow, Charlie Muncie and Fouts throwing.

Holy smokes man. That was something to watch. Not until the GSOT was there anything like it. And since 2001 there hasn't been an equal.
that'd be a fun game (SD 81 vs STL 1999) to watch on simulation

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Holt, Bruce, Proehl, Hakim and Faulk over anybody.

To quote Miklasz, the GSOT was Air Coryell on steroids. In 2000 when the Rams passed for a gross 5492 yards, still the second highest total ever, it was 1028 yards more than the second place team and an incredible 1939 yards more than the league average.

To put that in perspective, the Rams averaged 343 gross passing yards per game while the league average was 222. The Rams averaged 9.4 yards per pass attempt and 14.5 yards per completion, no other team was in the same area code.

I'm not sure anyone has ever been so far ahead of the curve.

In 2000 Warner averaged 9.9 YPA. That hadn't been done since the 50's. Even in this era it hasn't been done.

I don't know if it's a record but the O put up 7075 total yards. 442 yards per game!

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here"s a football fact nugget on both the '51 Rams QB's (Waterfield, Van Brocklin) and the 2001 QB's ( Warner, Bulger). Only one team in league history has had two QB's with the highest passer rating. The Rams. Waterfield and Van Brocklin ended the '51 season rated one two. Not only has no other team in NFL history had their QB's rated one-two, the Rams have done it twice! Warner and Bulger ended the 2001 season the top two rated QB's.
I really like this!!

like.png
55555.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
that'd be a fun game (SD 81 vs STL 1999) to watch on simulation
I would like to see either Rams team go up against the '81 Charger, it would be Fantastic!! Of course either Rams team would WIN!!:homercrawl::mrburnsevil:

Athos

Legend
Warner would have probably posted a 6K yard passing year with the jokes rules and QB protection penalties in today's game.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality

Think about this one, On September 28 of this year, this record will become 65 years old. In the pass happy league that the NFL has become, 554 yards for a game still stands as the record after 65 years. Amazing. Side-bar, it was opening day against the New York Yanks. Final score was L.A. 54 N.Y. 14.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Warner would have probably posted a 6K yard passing year with the jokes rules and QB protection penalties in today's game.

I've said for a few years now that if the GSOT Rams played today they would hang 70 points on someone at least once a season and could top 700 points.

It would be SO much fun to see that happen.

What an amazing confluence of extraordinary talent and circumstances that 99-01 team was............

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think about this one, On September 28 of this year, this record will become 65 years old. In the pass happy league that the NFL has become, 554 yards for a game still stands as the record after 65 years. Amazing. Side-bar, it was opening day against the New York Yanks. Final score was L.A. 54 N.Y. 14.
The only time I ever though that was in jeopardy was back in 2013. @Rynie probably has nightmares about this one. Tony Romo had well over 500 yards and got the ball in OT at his own 20. Denver couldn't come close to stopping him in the 2nd half and I thought for sure we were about to see history
Well, then Romo went Romo....

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The only time I ever though that was in jeopardy was back in 2013. @Rynie probably has nightmares about this one. Tony Romo had well over 500 yards and got the ball in OT at his own 20. Denver couldn't come close to stopping him in the 2nd half and I thought for sure we were about to see history
Well, then Romo went Romo....
Yeah, that pissed me off, but at the same time it's not Romo's fault our defense let them score 51 points.