Todd Gurley can help Rams run game but unfair to expect instant cure/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
Don't watch a ton of College ball, (big games and UCLA mostly), so I never saw Gurley at Georgia.
Saw LSU's Fournette last weekend - did TG look anything like that?
Dude that guy was going ape sh!t. Some of the best runs I've ever seen.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Just to be exact, Dickerson's O-Line, His 1st year, was:
* RT Slater
* RG Harrah
* C Doug Smith
* LG Kent Hill
* LT Bill Bain
This was Eric Dickerson's Starting O-Line his 1st Year.
(Per. Pro-Football-Reference.com)

Not exactly what Gurley has is it?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just hoping that a water main bursts, so the field is flooded. Gurley can walk on water, after all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams took Gurley because they knew Mason wasn't a back they can build their offense around. I like Mason and all, but Gurley is definitely an elite talent and that is why Fish called it right out the gate right after the draft for that matter that he is the guy when he's ready.

My concern with him is two-fold though... One, I'm sweating the health and ability to carry the load because the dude wasn't an "iron" back in college. Two, this OL springs more leaks than a '75 Chevy; there's gonna be black and gold jerseys on him as soon as he gets the ball.

If the OL fires the F off and gets their seal blocks goin, then yes he can gash the Steelers and put this team on the map again. But I have doubts that can happen and even if it does that they can do it again in Arizona. We shall see.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Make Arizona gameplan him with zero film. That's a HUGE game no matter what happens vs Pittsburgh. Let Mason and Cunningham get all the work this week. Give Gurley 2 carries so he can get hit and call it a day.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really think we should tone down our expectations for Gurley. Dude needs to work himself into the Pro Style Game...This i why I think he should get no more than 10 touches..(100+ yards, 2 TD's):rockon:

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
While Gurley may help, I do really hope that fans aren't expecting this kid to carry the team.

It's not realistic and it's not good to put all that pressure on him. The team around him needs to step up, and Foles can't have games like he had last week. He needs to be sharper. Yes--the o-line has to improve, of course. But Foles does need to move a bit better in the pocket and certainly throw better passes.

And if I was Fisher I would certainly limit him against the Steelers so we aren't saying right out of the gate, "Okay, Todd...it's all on you."

That's a recipe for failure.

Gurley has to be a part of the offense--a huge part, for sure--but he can't be THE offense.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I used 1983 because that was Dickerson's Rookie year, and wanted to compare it to Gurley's rookie year O-Line.
I went the lazy route and guessed at Dicks rookie year. You got it right obviously. Regardless, my point is that the current Rams Oline is apples to oranges compared to the 1983-1985 lines. I sure miss those days...if only the Rams had a decent QB to go with Dickerson....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I went the lazy route and guessed at Dicks rookie year. You got it right obviously. Regardless, my point is that the current Rams Oline is apples to oranges compared to the 1983-1985 lines. I sure miss those days...if only the Rams had a decent QB to go with Dickerson....
Right! He had 4 different stating QB's in his time with the Rams!

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Make Arizona gameplan him with zero film. That's a HUGE game no matter what happens vs Pittsburgh. Let Mason and Cunningham get all the work this week. Give Gurley 2 carries so he can get hit and call it a day.
dont think 2 helps him acclimate.would like to see 6 to 8

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It is an understatement to say the Rams desperately need to hit it big with the Gurley pick.
Since moving to St Louis how many #1 draft picks in terms of high impact, dynamic offensive skill players have they hit on?
I count two. T.Holt in '99 and S.Jackson in '04.

Even going back before that in LA there's not many. J.Bettis in '93 and E.Dickerson in '83.
We're due.

Rainram

Starter
For anyone keeping count....I have it as Gurley is 43 Weeks post-surgery. About 45 weeks and change since his injury.