This offense and its identity crisis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know, I sound like a broken record. But this offense and its continued poor production is something I see as linked to a crisis of identity that has gone on for some time with Fisher's regime.

Now for starters in today's loss to the Steelers they ran the ball 18 times and passed it 29 times. That in and of itself is not such a big deal, as sometimes games dictate you do different things. But the problem with the Rams is the dictating is never them when it comes to their offense. It is always adjusting to what the defense is giving, not getting all crazy and driving their reactions to the matchups the Rams are getting.

It begins with personnel too. Kendricks had a horrible game, and Cook wasn't much better. Cook in particular continues to do what he's always done: block like crap to include bonehead mistakes like the penalty, and then drop key passes. He and his contract are the poster children for how this regime's contracts and drafting don't match their professed expertise and are a big part of the sustained reason they cannot find consistency game to game. I mean, Fish wants a strong running game and play action off of it and Cook is simply not a fit due to his pansy blocking nor is he good enough to be a consistent weapon outside. Kendricks for all his warts in the passing game is at least a fit because he can actually block, which is what he should be doing in boosting the run game and helping GRob with rushers vice having the same number of targets as Tavon (5).

Ah yes good old Tavon Austin. The dude should be in a wide open offense where he can showcase his speed against a spread out defense. What the Rams do simply does not suit him. Schotty was not creative enough to consistently utilize his talent and I say that knowing full well that the guy was a disaster running routes early on. Cigs is struggling in that regard as well, even though Tavon does do some good things week to week now. As I've said before they should have 5 or so Tavon-specific misdirectional plays where they get him the ball like week one in movement towards open field. Doesn't always need to be from the backfield either.

Then you have Gurley. The dude is supremely gifted. Fish said he has zero problems knowing the offense. He fits perfectly what Fish has professed to want from his offense and what Cigs has professed to want from his offense. We can just see the stars aligning before this game, where maybe the pieces start to fit a little right? Wrong. The dude gets 6 rushes. And the defense keyed on him so hard that it demonstrates he should be in there as a decoy for springing Tavon if nothing else.

We all know that offense is about matchups and forcing the defense to do what you want them to do. Cigs is at a crossroads in my estimation, where he needs to decide what this offense's identity is and then adjust his personnel accordingly. If it's a power offense with play action (which I presume is the answer due to Fisher and Cigs' press conferences), then sit Cook's overpaid @$$ and line up with two TEs with Kendricks and Harkey blowin dudes off the LOS in run plays. Then use said TEs to chip on RDEs to help GRob out and feed defenses a steady diet of Gurley in the run game and short patterns periodically and watch him blow up LBs.

That type of adjustment would likely boost the running game this team and QB desperately needs, while also opening up play action deep routes for guys like Tavon and Givens who are faster than just about every DB they line up on if you actually let them run them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cigs is at a crossroads in my estimation, where he needs to decide what this offense's identity is and then adjust his personnel accordingly. If it's a power offense with play action (which I presume is the answer due to Fisher and Cigs' press conferences), then sit Cook's overpaid @$$ and line up with two TEs with Kendricks and Harkey blowin dudes off the LOS in run plays. Then use said TEs to chip on RDEs to help GRob out and feed defenses a steady diet of Gurley in short patterns periodically and watch him blow up LBs.
Quit stealing my lines. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh man you mean I need to read your posts now to see what I stole? :p

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Rams need to abandon run first when pass first is what is working.

We don't need an identity. Identities put you in a box. We need versatility with talent.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It isn't about imposing our will, or doing what we want to do. It is about taking, what we can take, efficiently. That changes drive to drive, play by play. Inside that, there will be compromise, sacrifice, and circumstance. Outside that, there will be game planning, coaching, experience, and practice.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Fish wants a strong running game and play action off of it and Cook is simply not a fit due to his pansy blocking nor is he good enough to be a consistent weapon outside. Kendricks for all his warts in the passing game is at least a fit because he can actually block, which is what he should be doing in boosting the run game and helping GRob with rushers vice having the same number of targets as Tavon (5).

Yes he can, and as @-X- alluded to, the other TE should be Harkey because he a monster blocker. Start Gurley, throw in our best blocking WR (Quick) and cut the zone blocking crap. Now we're ready to run the ball instead of talking about it!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We don't need an identity. Identities put you in a box. We need versatility with talent.

Fish mentioned towards the end of last year they weren't there yet in being able to say "here it comes, stop it" or somesuch in regards to running the ball. He's the head coach, so going off his own words here.

Last time this offense had a real identity was when Martz was aboard. They were a wide open, attacking passing team and were damn good at it. Gotta be good at what you are is what I'm saying. And with the Rams you see a crazy mix. A WR and TE that are better suited for pass-happy schemes. Power type OL being asked to pass block more than they run block. Even a QB whose best days (and very good ones at that) were behind a power running game.

Will Gurley's return change all that? I got my fingers crossed man.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Gurley did great as a decoy today.. the play was perfect up until it bounced off Kendricks face for what would of been a TD or at worst inside the 5 and Gurley get's his first TD and we won

yes.. I'm still pissed he dropped that

WestCoastRam

Legend
With Gurley, they're playing for next year. I think Jim Thomas is totally on point when he mentions that Fisher is safe and it's really all about next year. If it was win or your out, I'm sure they would have worked him harder and be pushing harder for Quick to be back.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Gurley did great as a decoy today.. the play was perfect up until it bounced off Kendricks face for what would of been a TD or at worst inside the 5 and Gurley get's his first TD and we won

yes.. I'm still pissed he dropped that
Totally fair, it was a lay up at worst, a slam dunk, at best.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The Identity we need is the flexibility to go with what is working. I have no problem with a run first mentality. Without at least pretending you are a run first team our passing game becomes volatile. We can't start a young and rookie laden O line, spin the magic wheel, and say hey we are a run team. The run mentality needs to be facilitated by the O line establishing it's ability to provide running space.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Kendricks for all his warts in the passing game is at least a fit because he can actually block
Without Kendricks in the passing game v. Seattle the Rams might be sitting 0-3 right now. I think his warts are actually in blocking. This is a good example of Kendricks blocking (watch him on the far right of the line):

oBbzIti.gif

No push, no lockup, but above all else -- no desire. Just screens the guy by going thru the motions with little interest to go above and beyond what he's supposed to do, which allows his guy to get a piece of Pead who ultimately fumbles on the play.

Sadly this is typical of all Rams inline TE blocking. In the backfield/H-back, they are pretty good, but inline is simply bad. Harkey is the best of the bunch, but Cook even worse and Justice Cunningham being mentioned as a possibility is even more depressing as his preseason game tape has been even worse (he must pancake everyone in practice or something, I can't understand what they see in him).

Washington of all teams demonstrated how tight ends should actually block. Almost every highlight run was off tackle or broke to the outside. Jordan Reed and Mark Carrier -- a converted WR! -- consistently had JL, Ogletree, Barron, whoever, pushed back and locked up, sometimes 10, 15 yards downfield. Some of it was bad LB play, but mostly it was just lowly-regarded Washington TEs deciding to give 110% effort at blocking.

Carrier is the perfect foil to what the Rams have in their TEs blocking. Scout.com summed him up as, "As far as blocking, he shows the effort and 'want-to' but he has technique flaws that will need polishing."

The Rams TEs do not have the "effort and want-to" at blocking, it's as simple as that.

The reason is that's the part that can't be taught, and the Rams keep acquiring guys that don't have it. Kendricks is a weapon in the passing game and he is an effective screen blocker and H-back -- but look at a Jordan Reed who also catches the ball and actually wants to block and does it all for $595,000, not the $5.6 million of Kendricks or the zero blocking of the $8.3 million Cook.

I don't blame Cook or Kendricks -- they are what they are -- it comes down to exactly the identity thing. The Rams are missing the dominating blocking skill at TE, yet still claim to want to be a power identity running team. It makes no sense.

Even the lowly Redskins seem to get it. They got decimated by injuries in training camp, so when they were desperately trying to add any TE with a pulse over the offseason, they picked up Anthony McCoy -- a guy that hasn't played since 2012. Why? “Mainly we’re looking for him in the core, blocking for the running game,” Gruden said. “It looked like he was very good at that."

Compare that to Fisher who has had many years to get any warm body to fill that role, but instead keeps wanting TE hybrid or "Swiss army knife" types. Gruden refers to a run blocking TE as "the core", does Fisher? The Redskins don't have great blocking TEs yet, but they probably eventually will since that's their identity and they are looking for it. I don't know what the Rams will eventually get for TE blocking, they don't seem to value it.

What exactly is the Rams' "core"? I think that's what we're talking about when we talk about identity.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I know, I sound like a broken record. But this offense and its continued poor production is something I see as linked to a crisis of identity that has gone on for some time with Fisher's regime.

Now for starters in today's loss to the Steelers they ran the ball 18 times and passed it 29 times. That in and of itself is not such a big deal, as sometimes games dictate you do different things. But the problem with the Rams is the dictating is never them when it comes to their offense. It is always adjusting to what the defense is giving, not getting all crazy and driving their reactions to the matchups the Rams are getting.

It begins with personnel too. Kendricks had a horrible game, and Cook wasn't much better. Cook in particular continues to do what he's always done: block like crap to include bonehead mistakes like the penalty, and then drop key passes. He and his contract are the poster children for how this regime's contracts and drafting don't match their professed expertise and are a big part of the sustained reason they cannot find consistency game to game. I mean, Fish wants a strong running game and play action off of it and Cook is simply not a fit due to his pansy blocking nor is he good enough to be a consistent weapon outside. Kendricks for all his warts in the passing game is at least a fit because he can actually block, which is what he should be doing in boosting the run game and helping GRob with rushers vice having the same number of targets as Tavon (5).

Ah yes good old Tavon Austin. The dude should be in a wide open offense where he can showcase his speed against a spread out defense. What the Rams do simply does not suit him. Schotty was not creative enough to consistently utilize his talent and I say that knowing full well that the guy was a disaster running routes early on. Cigs is struggling in that regard as well, even though Tavon does do some good things week to week now. As I've said before they should have 5 or so Tavon-specific misdirectional plays where they get him the ball like week one in movement towards open field. Doesn't always need to be from the backfield either.

Then you have Gurley. The dude is supremely gifted. Fish said he has zero problems knowing the offense. He fits perfectly what Fish has professed to want from his offense and what Cigs has professed to want from his offense. We can just see the stars aligning before this game, where maybe the pieces start to fit a little right? Wrong. The dude gets 6 rushes. And the defense keyed on him so hard that it demonstrates he should be in there as a decoy for springing Tavon if nothing else.

We all know that offense is about matchups and forcing the defense to do what you want them to do. Cigs is at a crossroads in my estimation, where he needs to decide what this offense's identity is and then adjust his personnel accordingly. If it's a power offense with play action (which I presume is the answer due to Fisher and Cigs' press conferences), then sit Cook's overpaid @$$ and line up with two TEs with Kendricks and Harkey blowin dudes off the LOS in run plays. Then use said TEs to chip on RDEs to help GRob out and feed defenses a steady diet of Gurley in the run game and short patterns periodically and watch him blow up LBs.

That type of adjustment would likely boost the running game this team and QB desperately needs, while also opening up play action deep routes for guys like Tavon and Givens who are faster than just about every DB they line up on if you actually let them run them.

Excellent thoughts here Merlin.
By the way let's draft a bunch of mauling road grader type linemen and throw them in a zone blocking scheme.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

THIS.

Do what the game is letting you do.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The Steelers scored only 12 points. At least one phase is doing ok. We should have won that game.