LEGEND The Video Games Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Runes - runes are what you use to buy stuff and also level

When you die - you drop all your runes where you died. If you die again before gathering them up, you lose them permanently.

Runes are fairly easy to accrue if you don't mind grinding a little.

There is one spot in the game where about 30 mobs are that you can easily kill one at a time especially if you kill them from afar using magic or upgraded bows/crossbows. They each drop 1000 runes so I just go thru and kill them all in about 15 minutes or so and get easily 30000 runes.

You can also add another 20% if you get the 20% talisman and another 50% if you create an item that is really easy to make.

So you can get 1700 runes per kill.

The major bosses are a real pain. General Radahn is a nightmare boss. And the first boss to get into Stormveil I had a really difficult time killing.

The minor bosses - some are really difficult, some are not too bad.

I would level up to at minimum 50 before doing any boss though. Just my opinion. And level up even more for the more difficult bosses.

If you don't mind grinding, you can easily get to level 200 in a few weeks play. I just don't like grinding and am only at 163 after a few months of off and on play.

Edit - one other thing - once you kill the queen - she will allow you to reset your character if you don't like where you put your points into.

I have done it 3 times and I can do it another 6 times at the point that I am at.

Right now I am a spell caster but I might decide to go full out melee at some point.

Also - I only do major bosses when I have spent the majority of my runes because you might give up fighting a boss and decide to level up and you can't get your runes back from the fight against the major boss
One other point - if you having extreme difficulty at the beginning of the game - I would recommend creating a spell caster.

You can easily kill the random mobs with the spell caster.

Only issue is that you run out of mana fast and only have 3 to 4 potion bottles at the beginning of the game.

I would work on leveling up the spellcaster and put points into INT and MIND so you don't run out of mana all the time.

Edit - I should probably point out that I have swore at this game many many many times.

Just to give an example - I am fighting the Fire Giant

And I had developed a system where I had it down to 30% life - and I got greedy since I was at full health - I will shoot one more magic arrow at the giant ..... dead (gawd fricken dammit - you SOB .... I had you .... $%#@%%)

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
One other point - if you having extreme difficulty at the beginning of the game - I would recommend creating a spell caster.

You can easily kill the random mobs with the spell caster.

Only issue is that you run out of mana fast and only have 3 to 4 potion bottles at the beginning of the game.

I would work on leveling up the spellcaster and put points into INT and MIND so you don't run out of mana all the time.

Edit - I should probably point out that I have swore at this game many many many times.

Just to give an example - I am fighting the Fire Giant

And I had developed a system where I had it down to 30% life - and I got greedy since I was at full health - I will shoot one more magic arrow at the giant ..... dead (gawd fricken dammit - you SOB .... I had you .... $%#@%%)
lol k, thanks for the tips. I think I'll definitely get it and try out. Might wait for it to go on sale the first time before i commit though.

Tano

Legend
lol k, thanks for the tips. I think I'll definitely get it and try out. Might wait for it to go on sale the first time before i commit though.
Probably a good idea

It's a great game though - the game play itself is awesome and the scenery is beautiful

Just expect to die 1000 times unless you are great at dodging and timing blocks

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Enjoying God of War Ragnarok so far, it's certainly doing a better job keeping me entertained than the Rams are

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Sadly, there are a lot of things more entertaining than the Rams right now. Unless keeping track of the sick bay count, is your idea of fun....

OTOH, I laid off these on-line games until I was almost 70... (ya know - work and all!!) then my kid got me thoroughly hooked on Insurgency Sandstorm.... Damn, the detail in these is unreal....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are coming out this week. I'm stoked.

Psycho_X

Legend
Elden Ring is on sale for the first time, 30% at least in the xbox store it is, so going to pick that up this weekend. Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone was waiting for that like I was.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
anyone in here build computers? Was debating if I wanted to get a gaming PC but no clue where to start

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
anyone in here build computers? Was debating if I wanted to get a gaming PC but no clue where to start
Where to start:
1 - with a pile of cash, to acquire:
-- best MOBO you can afford
-- best CPU you can afford
-- most memory you can afford
-- best GPU you can afford (ie, NVIDIA)

Save out some dough for the OS (likely Windoz), a keyboard, mouse, case, power supply....

In reality no one is going to max out of the first several items - but you do want to find a spot in the price/performance curve so that whatever you get, it won't be tomorrows trash.... five years from, is another story! :woozy2: :woozy2:

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Where to start:
1 - with a pile of cash, to acquire:
-- best MOBO you can afford
-- best CPU you can afford
-- most memory you can afford
-- best GPU you can afford (ie, NVIDIA)

Save out some dough for the OS (likely Windoz), a keyboard, mouse, case, power supply....

In reality no one is going to max out of the first several items - but you do want to find a spot in the price/performance curve so that whatever you get, it won't be tomorrows trash.... five years from, is another story! :woozy2: :woozy2:

Thanks for the reply!

Would you mind if I sent you some builds to get your opinion?

Tano

Legend
Elden Ring is on sale for the first time, 30% at least in the xbox store it is, so going to pick that up this weekend. Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone was waiting for that like I was.
How do you like it?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I get PC Master Race and all that, but I got so sick of the expense that I got a PS5 and couldn’t be happier.

Granted, I came from Mac, so I don’t miss Steam, for example, but PlayStation Plus Extra (the middle one) sets me up with literally thousands of games and I know the games will be optimized on my hardware so I can spend time on the games and not on optimizations for the games… no drivers, no overclocking, no losing because some whale has a $20k mega rig…

If World of Warcraft comes to console, I’ll play that even if it means buying the latest Xbox machine.

Anyway, maybe it’s because I’m a former network engineer and each day I become more of a Luddite, but it’s an alternative to consider especially with all the supply chain and inter company fuckery that has plagued gaming these last three years…

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I just built a new budget gaming pc this week.

CPU - AMD 5600 - $120
Cooler - Noctua NHU12S - $50
SSD - WD_black 1TB - $79
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX - $48
Mobo - msi b550 pro - $120
Case - Corsair 4000D - $100
PSU - Corsair RM650X - $89
GPU - Gigabyte 3060TI - $459 (ouch)

Reused - keyboard, mouse, monitor, wifi card, soundcard.

My monitor is 1440p and this little rig runs everything at max settings that I've tried so far.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I just built a new budget gaming pc this week.

CPU - AMD 5600 - $120
Cooler - Noctua NHU12S - $50
SSD - WD_black 1TB - $79
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX - $48
Mobo - msi b550 pro - $120
Case - Corsair 4000D - $100
PSU - Corsair RM650X - $89
GPU - Gigabyte 3060TI - $459 (ouch)

Reused - keyboard, mouse, monitor, wifi card, soundcard.

My monitor is 1440p and this little rig runs everything at max settings that I've tried so far.

That's a nice, mid-level rig.

I like the choice to go with AMD... so much cheaper and MUCH better bang for the buck.

I dunno what's going on with Nvidia, but holy crap... Their fight with Apple was legendary (and there were really gross issues on both sides) and they've been such a shitty partner that one of their flagship card manufacturers that they dumped making Nvidia cards and decided to forego 75% of their business rather than deal with them anymore... a company really has to be fucking up to have a partner cut off 75% of their business just to not have to deal with them anymore...

Nice case and great choice for the SSD. The WD Black SSDs are gold standard and should serve you well.

My only upgrade for my PS5 is gonna be a large Seagate SSD since the PS5 has very exacting standards. I'd prefer a Western Digital as I'm generally more of a reliability guy than a speed guy, but the Seagates do scream...

One thing I've noticed is that unless you're wired and only have the wifi card as a backup, don't scrimp on it... go big since in testing they make a big difference and the better cards have game optimizing modes as well as better channel/signal strength selection options and tools.

Tom's Hardware is probably the best site for hardware reviews.

Enjoy the rig!

Tano

Legend
I get PC Master Race and all that, but I got so sick of the expense that I got a PS5 and couldn’t be happier.

Granted, I came from Mac, so I don’t miss Steam, for example, but PlayStation Plus Extra (the middle one) sets me up with literally thousands of games and I know the games will be optimized on my hardware so I can spend time on the games and not on optimizations for the games… no drivers, no overclocking, no losing because some whale has a $20k mega rig…

If World of Warcraft comes to console, I’ll play that even if it means buying the latest Xbox machine.

Anyway, maybe it’s because I’m a former network engineer and each day I become more of a Luddite, but it’s an alternative to consider especially with all the supply chain and inter company fuckery that has plagued gaming these last three years…
I still play Everquest on the PC

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
That's a nice, mid-level rig.

I like the choice to go with AMD... so much cheaper and MUCH better bang for the buck.

I dunno what's going on with Nvidia, but holy crap... Their fight with Apple was legendary (and there were really gross issues on both sides) and they've been such a shitty partner that one of their flagship card manufacturers that they dumped making Nvidia cards and decided to forego 75% of their business rather than deal with them anymore... a company really has to be fucking up to have a partner cut off 75% of their business just to not have to deal with them anymore...

Nice case and great choice for the SSD. The WD Black SSDs are gold standard and should serve you well.

My only upgrade for my PS5 is gonna be a large Seagate SSD since the PS5 has very exacting standards. I'd prefer a Western Digital as I'm generally more of a reliability guy than a speed guy, but the Seagates do scream...

One thing I've noticed is that unless you're wired and only have the wifi card as a backup, don't scrimp on it... go big since in testing they make a big difference and the better cards have game optimizing modes as well as better channel/signal strength selection options and tools.

Tom's Hardware is probably the best site for hardware reviews.

Enjoy the rig!
Was it EVGA that said no more with Nvidia? I really debated between going AMD vs Nvidia on the GPU. I ended up going with Nvidia because first it was on black friday sale but also they run a little cooler and where I live it gets brutally hot in summer time. But already I'm having a small amount of regret because the monitors don't all support gsync but almost all of them support freesync. I also bought an LG 27GP850-b but had to return it because it emitted a super high pitch whining sound. I could barely hear it but all my dogs would run out of the room every time I turned it on. So now I'm looking for another monitor.