The Six Degrees of...John Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
John Robinson is the winningest coach in Ram's history. His 79 wins lead all other Ram coaches and his 4 playoff wins also are tops.
rob.png

There was a popular game years ago called, "The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon", the idea being that anyone can trace themselves to actor Kevin Bacon, through six connections, or less.

In recent research for different posts, I have kind of been piecing together a similar connection with our great coach from the '80's.

Full disclosure. As I have noted in previous posts, John Robinson went to my high school. I do take great pride in that. It is interesting, my graduating year from Serra High School, (San Mateo, CA) 1983, happened to be John Robinson's first year as Ram's coach. The Rams finished 9-7 that year, and went to the playoffs as a wildcard. The San Francisco Forty-Niners had just won their first of many division titles in '81, along the way to a Super Bowl Title, and a dominating decade. Yet the Rams also did well in the '80's, making the playoffs in 6 of Robinsons first 7 years of coaching, including a division title in 1985.

To the point; In researching Robinson's past, I have noticed an uncanny number of connections to key players in Ram's history, as well as other notable NFL connections. The Six Degrees of John Robinson:

• John Robinson grew up in Daly City, California. He met John Madden in elementary school, and developed a bond that would last throughout his career, and stands today. The two are best friends.
  • During that same time Robinson and Madden grew up in Daly City in 1954, a young man named Dick Vermeil walked the nearby wine country town of Calistoga, with coaching aspirations of his own. Vermeil's first coaching opportunity was at San Mateo's Hillsdale High School, in 1960. (More on this later)
  • Robinson's parents sent him to Junipero Serra High School, just a half mile from Vermiels later coaching startup- Hillsdale High. Meanwhile, Robinson's friend, John Madden would attend the public Jefferson High. Robinson excelled in football, and went on to play at the University of Oregon. Doing very well playing end, he even played in a Rose Bowl, in 1958. Robinson went on to coach at Oregon from 1960-1971.
  • During Robinson's time coaching at Oregon, the competition back home became very interesting. His high school league began producing a series of great, soon to be NFL-bound players- mostly quarterbacks. Robinson took note.
  • Dan Pastorini, from rival Bellarmine, graduated in 1967, and went to now-defunct Santa Clara University. The city that now hosts the stinking corpse that used to be the Forty-Niners. Pastorini would go on to have several great years with the Houston Oilers, and even spent a year with the Rams in 1981. Just two years before Robinsons stint as Rams coach began.
  • Dan Fouts, who began his high school career at Marin Catholic of Kentfield, (More on this school later) would later transfer in his junior year to Robinson's rival, Saint Ignatius High of San Francisco. Fouts excelled at quarterback, where he graduated in 1969, and was recruited to Oregon by....John Robinson. Fouts, of course, went on to become one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history with the San Diego Chargers.
  • Meanwhile, that same 1969 high school graduating class from the competitive Catholic Athletic League held two other future NFL players, Jesse Freitas Jr., who, ironically would go on to back up Fouts, as quarterback for the Chargers in 1974-75, and a guy named Lynn Swann. Both players went to Robinson's alma mater, Serra.
  • Swann was a top recruit, and Robinson thought he had an inside track to recruit him to Oregon, since they both went to the same high school. Though the following video may seem a little self-indulgent, it is pretty entertaining, and Swann and Robinson best tell the story about what happens next.

• View: https://youtu.be/_aDjUIkJZU4
  • So Robinson ends up coaching Swann at USC. Swann, of course, ends up having one of the most amazing 9-year careers imaginable with the Steelers, winning 4 Superbowls, including Superbowl X. Below is a picture of a pretty excited young @Roman Snow with his younger brother, the bandwagon-Niner-lover, along with Swann at his MVP party in Foster City, 1976. One of my Forest Gump moments. Swann, of course, was a bitter-sweet hero, as he later would catch a touchdown, helping defeat the Rams in Superbowl XIV.
  • Swann.jpg
  • While coaching at USC, Robinson later coaches a pretty impressive group of defensive backs, including Ronny Lott, Joey Browner, and a guy named Jeff Fisher. Fisher would later move on to coaching, himself, and receive one of his key boosts from former USC Head Coach Robinson in his final year with the Rams 1991. Robinson Hired Fisher as Defensive Coordinator.
  • In the neighboring town to Fouts' Kentfield- Larkspur, in Marin County, at the same time in 1969 was a young man named Pete Carroll. Carroll, of course later served as USC coach after Robinson, and now Heads that wretched team out of Seattle.

• That Public High School that gave Coach Vermeil his start, -Hillsdale High, a young man named Tom Brady grew up in the shadow of that school, years later. Instead, Brady would choose my school. Swann's School...John Robinson's school. The winningest coach in our history was ironically instrumental in starting the career of two future Superbowl MVP's, and two Ram killers.
  • Brady Swann.png
  • That school that QB great Dan Fouts attended his first two years?-Marin Catholic- Before he went on and was recruited by John Robinson to Oregon? A certain young man graduated from there just a few years ago named...Jared Goff, of your Los Angeles Rams!
  • goff I.jpg
  • goff Ram.jpg

....The six degrees of John Robinson.

fearsomefour

Legend
Very enjoyable post.
Great picture with your brother and "that" receiver too.....good stuff.
One more thing....

No one could wear a pair of polyester pants high on the waste like Coach Robinson.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Incredible job Roman Snow, but what in the world happened to Santa Clara University? I had no idea they were no longer around.

Heck my alma mater closed their doors in 2010 so I am somewhat familiar with this issue.......

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
So since I got to meet Coach Robinson at Rams Park back in the day does that mean I have six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Incredible job Roman Snow, but what in the world happened to Santa Clara University? I had no idea they were no longer around.

Heck my alma mater closed their doors in 2010 so I am somewhat familiar with this issue.......
I'm sorry. Quick correction: Santa Clara University is still around. They just dropped their football program years ago.

*So with the Niners new stadium in Santa Clara, there is STILL no organized football in the city of Santa Clara. :snicker:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Bravo. That took some work, or you are a real fanatic to know all of that detail. Very interesting.
I already knew some connections, but others came to light as I did research. Like, how interesting that Goff attended the same high school as Dan Fouts.

I left a couple obscure connections out, so as not to be TOO confusing. Like this one:

Jesse Freitas Sr. also played Quarterback in the NFL. I just now discovered he played at Santa Clara as well. In 1946-47 he quarterbacked the 49ers.

He then went on to Head Coach at Serra, during the fifties he coached...John Robinson, and then later in the sixties and seventies Swann and his two sons Jim and Jesse Jr. Jesse Sr. Was a legend at the school.

Freitas also taught at the high school for 50 years! He was my Geometry teacher, and once smacked me on top of the head with a Geometry book for popping my gum. (Yeah. I deserved it)

So his teaching or coaching tenure had him teach a span of students, including:
  • John Robinson
  • Jim Fregosi
  • Lynn Swann
  • Barry Bonds
  • Greg Jefferies
  • Tom Brady
Among others. Pretty wide spanning list!

* @Roman Snow was not the only skull he cracked. :dizzy:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great post and very interesting connections there. Thanks @Roman Snow for taking the time to write this. It is so much better than the drivel we get from the beat "writers" nowadays.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Great post and very interesting connections there. Thanks @Roman Snow for taking the time to write this. It is so much better than the drivel we get from the beat "writers" nowadays.
Thanks @Faceplant Were you able to catch that video? For those that haven't seen it yet, go back and watch when you have time. Some funny stories and insights. Robinson talks about his time with the Rams, around the (21:00 mark) his previous love for the 49ers and how, "I got my first paycheck from the Rams, and I hated the 49ers." (What have we all been saying about Goff?) He also hints that his relationship with Georgia was tumultuous. Give it a listen. I'm curious what you all think.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
John Robinson is the winningest coach in Ram's history. His 79 wins lead all other Ram coaches and his 4 playoff wins also are tops.
View attachment 14921

There was a popular game years ago called, "The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon", the idea being that anyone can trace themselves to actor Kevin Bacon, through six connections, or less.

In recent research for different posts, I have kind of been piecing together a similar connection with our great coach from the '80's.

Full disclosure. As I have noted in previous posts, John Robinson went to my high school. I do take great pride in that. It is interesting, my graduating year from Serra High School, (San Mateo, CA) 1983, happened to be John Robinson's first year as Ram's coach. The Rams finished 9-7 that year, and went to the playoffs as a wildcard. The San Francisco Forty-Niners had just won their first of many division titles in '81, along the way to a Super Bowl Title, and a dominating decade. Yet the Rams also did well in the '80's, making the playoffs in 6 of Robinsons first 7 years of coaching, including a division title in 1985.

To the point; In researching Robinson's past, I have noticed an uncanny number of connections to key players in Ram's history, as well as other notable NFL connections. The Six Degrees of John Robinson:

• John Robinson grew up in Daly City, California. He met John Madden in elementary school, and developed a bond that would last throughout his career, and stands today. The two are best friends.
  • During that same time Robinson and Madden grew up in Daly City in 1954, a young man named Dick Vermeil walked the nearby wine country town of Calistoga, with coaching aspirations of his own. Vermeil's first coaching opportunity was at San Mateo's Hillsdale High School, in 1960. (More on this later)
  • Robinson's parents sent him to Junipero Serra High School, just a half mile from Vermiels later coaching startup- Hillsdale High. Meanwhile, Robinson's friend, John Madden would attend the public Jefferson High. Robinson excelled in football, and went on to play at the University of Oregon. Doing very well playing end, he even played in a Rose Bowl, in 1958. Robinson went on to coach at Oregon from 1960-1971.
  • During Robinson's time coaching at Oregon, the competition back home became very interesting. His high school league began producing a series of great, soon to be NFL-bound players- mostly quarterbacks. Robinson took note.
  • Dan Pastorini, from rival Bellarmine, graduated in 1967, and went to now-defunct Santa Clara University. The city that now hosts the stinking corpse that used to be the Forty-Niners. Pastorini would go on to have several great years with the Houston Oilers, and even spent a year with the Rams in 1981. Just two years before Robinsons stint as Rams coach began.
  • Dan Fouts, who began his high school career at Marin Catholic of Kentfield, (More on this school later) would later transfer in his junior year to Robinson's rival, Saint Ignatius High of San Francisco. Fouts excelled at quarterback, where he graduated in 1969, and was recruited to Oregon by....John Robinson. Fouts, of course, went on to become one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history with the San Diego Chargers.
  • Meanwhile, that same 1969 high school graduating class from the competitive Catholic Athletic League held two other future NFL players, Jesse Freitas Jr., who, ironically would go on to back up Fouts, as quarterback for the Chargers in 1974-75, and a guy named Lynn Swann. Both players went to Robinson's alma mater, Serra.
  • Swann was a top recruit, and Robinson thought he had an inside track to recruit him to Oregon, since they both went to the same high school. Though the following video may seem a little self-indulgent, it is pretty entertaining, and Swann and Robinson best tell the story about what happens next.

• View: https://youtu.be/_aDjUIkJZU4
  • So Robinson ends up coaching Swann at USC. Swann, of course, ends up having one of the most amazing 9-year careers imaginable with the Steelers, winning 4 Superbowls, including Superbowl X. Below is a picture of a pretty excited young @Roman Snow with his younger brother, the bandwagon-Niner-lover, along with Swann at his MVP party in Foster City, 1976. One of my Forest Gump moments. Swann, of course, was a bitter-sweet hero, as he later would catch a touchdown, helping defeat the Rams in Superbowl XIV.
  • View attachment 14917
  • While coaching at USC, Robinson later coaches a pretty impressive group of defensive backs, including Ronny Lott, Joey Browner, and a guy named Jeff Fisher. Fisher would later move on to coaching, himself, and receive one of his key boosts from former USC Head Coach Robinson in his final year with the Rams 1991. Robinson Hired Fisher as Defensive Coordinator.
  • In the neighboring town to Fouts' Kentfield- Larkspur, in Marin County, at the same time in 1969 was a young man named Pete Carroll. Carroll, of course later served as USC coach after Robinson, and now Heads that wretched team out of Seattle.

• That Public High School that gave Coach Vermeil his start, -Hillsdale High, a young man named Tom Brady grew up in the shadow of that school, years later. Instead, Brady would choose my school. Swann's School...John Robinson's school. The winningest coach in our history was ironically instrumental in starting the career of two future Superbowl MVP's, and two Ram killers.
  • View attachment 14918
  • That school that QB great Dan Fouts attended his first two years?-Marin Catholic- Before he went on and was recruited by John Robinson to Oregon? A certain young man graduated from there just a few years ago named...Jared Goff, of your Los Angeles Rams!
  • View attachment 14919
  • View attachment 14920

....The six degrees of John Robinson.

The only problem I have with Talking about John Robinson is when he's Called the "Winningest Rams Coach ever!" Technically yes, BUT!! when you look at the Win percentage NO WAY!!

In Order the Best in Regular season are:

1) Adam Walsh - 16-5-1 a win % of .772 ( 1945 League Champion's!)
2) Chuck Knox - 57-20-1 a win % of .737
3) George Allen - 49-17-2 a win % of .708
4) Mike Martz - 56-36-0 q win % of .608 ( OC 1999 SB Champs!)
5) Ray Malavasi - 43-36-0 win % of .544 ( Lost SBXIV to Steelers!)
6) John Robinson - 79-74-0 win % of .516

I personally would rather have a HC with a Higher Winning %!!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
The only problem I have with Talking about John Robinson is when he's Called the "Winningest Rams Coach ever!" Technically yes, BUT!! when you look at the Win percentage NO WAY!!

In Order the Best in Regular season are:

1) Adam Walsh - 16-5-1 a win % of .772 ( 1945 League Champion's!)
2) Chuck Knox - 57-20-1 a win % of .737
3) George Allen - 49-17-2 a win % of .708
4) Mike Martz - 56-36-0 q win % of .608 ( OC 1999 SB Champs!)
5) Ray Malavasi - 43-36-0 win % of .544 ( Lost SBXIV to Steelers!)
6) John Robinson - 79-74-0 win % of .516

I personally would rather have a HC with a Higher Winning %!!
Thanks for the feedback, and the interesting list, Dave. Keep in mind, Robinson did this during the reign of Georgia, and during the peak of the 49er dominance throughout the '80s. He kept the Rams competitive, and had 6 of 7 teams in the playoffs, winning 3 first games of those 6 years, and 2 playoff games in '89.

A pretty good string, even though he couldn't get them over the top. His last two years, though, 1990,1991- total meltdowns. Interesting that Fisher was the defensive coordinator that last year.

I think the 1990 meltdown was interesting. Something happened. The Rams lost Greg Bell, who was very productive, to the Raiders. The Rams feature back that year was Cleveland Gary, who later had a few good years, but was very average that year. Also Everett, I believe, lost a lot of confidence after his "phantom sack" in the '89 championship game. He was never the same for us.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Also Everett, I believe, lost a lot of confidence after his "phantom sack" in the '89 championship game. He was never the same for us.
If I'm not mistaken, which is entirely possible, this^ is when sports writers first coined, and started using the term "Happy Feet!" when talking about QB's!!o_O:)

Ram65

Legend
Great stuff Roman Snow. Interesting how things connect. Listened to John Robinson speech. Good stories. Mention Georgia and going to heaven.........

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Great stuff Roman Snow. Interesting how things connect. Listened to John Robinson speech. Good stories. Mention Georgia and going to heaven.........
Yeah...I think his inference was, he "earned" his way to heaven because of what he endured with Georgia. :rolleyes: Not really
scripturally sound, but typical of the Catholic "penance" mentality I grew up with.

That story with Madden was pretty hilarious, huh? I wonder how much of that was hyperbolic.

He had Swann's, and Tom Brady's parents stand up at one point. I knew Swann's parents pretty well. What he said was true. They are the ones that gave the tickets to my mom for Lynn's "private" MVP party. His brother was our dentist, and his mom worked the front desk as receptionist. His dad was the janitor at my elementary school. Great people. I'm glad Lynn was able to make their lives better.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Liked it a lot Roman. Except this part that always makes me cringe. Swann wasn't even the best WR on his team!!!

Swann, of course, ends up having one of the most amazing 9-year careers imaginable with the Steelers,

That dude has NO business in the HOF. He and Joe Namath should return the jackets IMO. He got inducted 20 years after he retired because of his media affiliations. The good old boys club strikes again. Swann was more myth than substance and so was Namath.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Dude great post

I wanna play Six Degrees of John Robinson

I think am 3 degrees from John Robinson

1. I know the guy Georgia hired to kill Carol Rosenbloom
2. Georgia hired John Robinson

Wait... That's two degrees

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Liked it a lot Roman. Except this part that always makes me cringe. Swann wasn't even the best WR on his team!!!

That dude has NO business in the HOF. He and Joe Namath should return the jackets IMO. He got inducted 20 years after he retired because of his media affiliations. The good old boys club strikes again. Swann was more myth than substance and so was Namath.
I agree on Namath, but let me say this about Swann:
What he lacked in numbers he made up for in substance. His catches counted. He was clutch. He was tough, and went across the middle fearlessly. The whole business about him being a wussy was crap. The dude went over the middle and took big hits. He never complained.

Swann played at a time when guys did not put up big receiving numbers. It was more about the run. Compare his numbers to guys from the seventies. The dude was amazing. It's not about the stat sheet.

*Edit: Actually, this argument is the exact one people use to say Kurt Warner does not belong in the Super Bowl. He transcends numbers. "You had to be there" right? He was just great.

View: https://youtu.be/4GRs5nrzqlY

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Dude great post

I wanna play Six Degrees of John Robinson

I think am 3 degrees from John Robinson

1. I know the guy Georgia hired to kill Carol Rosenbloom
2. Georgia hired John Robinson

Wait... That's two degrees
:LOL: Wait, I'm looking at your avatar. Are YOU the guy Georgia hired to kill Rosenbloom? That's ONE degree.