49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but he’s a 7th round pick… he has no 5th year option. If they don’t extend him, he’s gonna hit that franchise tag and his agent will raise holy hell… and it’s a bad look if you’ve got a QB who’s won as much as Purdy’s won and essentially put him on a year to year…

I expect they’ll extend him soon and to a huge deal

they can't extend him until after his 3rd season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
they can't extend him until after his 3rd season.

I did mess up how many years he’s been in the league… but the point stands… unless he shits the bed this season, they’re gonna wanna lock him up ASAP, cuz as the Cowboys found out with Dak, every day you wait, it just gets more expensive

Otoh, I’d love to see them franchise tag him and then have to fork over like $60M per…

And then I want the league, after Purdy’s record setting deal, to revisit QB pay under the CBA… you know… when they finally add that 18th game is a perfect time.

As long as it cripples the 9ers, I’m good

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Simpsons Reaction GIF

View: https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1793095570074288377?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

View: https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1793221958894571802?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

oldnotdead

Legend
It's normal for the losing SB team to take a step back. Their window is closing and they know it.

Purdy is a solid QB a good OC can build around. Is he elite? No not in my opinion. But he's certainly good enough to win with. The problem with the Niners is not the roster. The problem with the Niners is coaching. Some coaches consistently win in the regular season. Then they tend to succumb to the pressure of the playoffs and change how they coach a game. You can see it in their playoff record.

McVay was outcoached in 2018 which wasn't surprising. But he learned from that game and in 2021 he understood what he needed to do i.e. Sean learned from the experience. McVay won a game he should have lost by outcoaching the Bengals. Shanahan has shown the exact opposite. IMO the opposition would have to lose the game for the Niners to win a SB.

I expect the Niners to take a step back this year which will result in them having to rebuild in 2025.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's normal for the losing SB team to take a step back. Their window is closing and they know it.

Purdy is a solid QB a good OC can build around. Is he elite? No not in my opinion. But he's certainly good enough to win with. The problem with the Niners is not the roster. The problem with the Niners is coaching. Some coaches consistently win in the regular season. Then they tend to succumb to the pressure of the playoffs and change how they coach a game. You can see it in their playoff record.

McVay was outcoached in 2018 which wasn't surprising. But he learned from that game and in 2021 he understood what he needed to do i.e. Sean learned from the experience. McVay won a game he should have lost by outcoaching the Bengals. Shanahan has shown the exact opposite. IMO the opposition would have to lose the game for the Niners to win a SB.

I expect the Niners to take a step back this year which will result in them having to rebuild in 2025.
WOW - I don’t see that in the fact they are going to step back this season. I will say like way back & certain teams make mistakes & The Salary Cap comes into play.

As bad as the Tre Lance pick was bad,The Purdy draft pick was good.
He is a difference maker.

Les Snead always talks about winning the Super Bowl in April.
Les Snead lost bad in 2020 & almost did it again in 2021.

I can go deeper into it,But The Rams 2023 Draft actually almost won them a Super Bowl of all things.How good will the 2024 draft be ?

I HATE Staley & Ratboy,I’m just saying be careful.You should by your(Plane) tickets to LA the 3rd game of 2024 so it’s not all Red at SOFI

TexasRam

Legend

I think Mcvay did learn some lessons about game calling from 2018 but he also improved the teams chances by using the F them picks approach. More seasoned, poised QB, Von Miller, Weddle etc

Personnel matters.

Niners problem is they keep running into Mahomes or Shanny has 2 trophies.

Look and Billicheck without Brady. Did. He forget how to coach or just lose a critical player?

dang

Legend
They forgot to ask the most important question:
“Fred - you are universally recognized as one of the best LBs in the league. What is it that compels you to come out of your hard nosed but disciplined play and resort to cheap shot undisciplined play? Is it personal frustration or just a reflection of the 69er culture?”

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Purdy is a solid QB a good OC can build around. Is he elite? No not in my opinion. But he's certainly good enough to win with.
Good enough to win with a good supporting cast. When that changes he becomes average in my opinion.
I agree. I still think they pay Aiyuk at some point. And they have to pay Purdy. Goff's contract makes it likely Purdy will be in excess of 50 mil per year. Not to mention a number of guys cap hits really increase next year. They will be in cap hell and have to pay elite money to a quarterback who won't be elite.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
WOW - I don’t see that in the fact they are going to step back this season. I will say like way back & certain teams make mistakes & The Salary Cap comes into play.
They should be among the top NFC teams. But they won't be as stacked as they were last year. And they better hope they have the same luck injuries. Their depth is thin. And Detroit sure looks like they might be ready to take the next step. Not to mention the Rams could challenge them in the division.
As bad as the Tre Lance pick was bad,The Purdy draft pick was good.
He is a difference maker.
Purdy is very good with the talent around him. If that aging talent changes I don't see him being good enough to carry them. He's a good game manager who fits the system and talent well. So was Jimmy G. The only difference is Purdy's not as injury prone.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Purdy is not the quarterback to win a Super Bowl. He had two big time opportunities for six - one of them in overtime - and failed both of them. Missing a wide-open Aiyuk for a long connection when only Nick Bolton was pressuring was bad enough, but to throw it away at the goal line (again, Aiyuk was wid open) on third down in overtime with the season on the line? Inexcusable and - eventually - unforgivable, considering that K.C. scored on the ensuing drive.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Purdy's agent wants 50 million per year I'd consider letting him walk. I'm pretty sure the whiners front office can find a QB that would like to play for this team on a much better contract. How much worse would Jimmy G be in this offense? Or Carson Wentz? Or even Blake Bortels or Tyrod Taylor? And maybe then they could keep some of their other core players. And they would certainly get a nice comp pick for him and possibly draft someohe. Just a thought.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
You could tell they all thought last year was their year. It’s hard to replicate and sustain that effort over another entire season. And it’s past time for Trent Williams to fall apart.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Seriously, where would this discussion be if Purdy's pass to Aiyuk was picked off by Detroit instead of some dog shit lucky bounce that ended up in Aiyuk's hands that turned that playoff game around?

What would people say about Purdy now? Would the whiners be the favorites to win the next super bowl?

TBH, I thought that lucky play meant the whiners were the team of destiny like the 2021 Rams that had a good break when Jack assky Tart dropped Stafford's pass in the 4th quarter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They should be among the top NFC teams. But they won't be as stacked as they were last year. And they better hope they have the same luck injuries. Their depth is thin. And Detroit sure looks like they might be ready to take the next step. Not to mention the Rams could challenge them in the division.

Purdy is very good with the talent around him. If that aging talent changes I don't see him being good enough to carry them. He's a good game manager who fits the system and talent well. So was Jimmy G. The only difference is Purdy's not as injury prone.
IMO - Jimmy G & Purdue are different types of QB’s I don’t want to make predictions over there.I do know The Rams win totals is low. —Last season I wanted to play it.

I’ve always drank The Rams Kool-aide.IMO The Rams were the BETTER(BEST) Team in The NFL?
Puka’s last play,but Rivers & K.Williams getting hurt wouldn’t have allowed it & Mcvay is not DUMb.

Don’t underestimate the enemy !

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO Jimmy G has a better arm. But the difference between Purdy and Jimmy G. is that Purdy reads his progressions faster and makes better decisions. Purdy's arm is "good enough", i.e. his are allows him to make strong throws out to the intermediate zone with good accuracy and velocity. He's got enough arm to make accurate deep throws as well.

People call him a game manager type of QB as if that is something to be disparaged. All QBs are game managers only they manage the game differently. All QBs are system QBs as evidenced by both Stafford and Goff. Think of Goff as a Purdy with much better arm talent. Jimmy Gs problem is between the ears in that he doesn't improvise well and struggles under stress.

Purdy could become an elite QB but he's an example of what I've been saying about a QB doesn't need a rocket arm. Josh Allen is the poster boy QB with a cannon arm. Purdy is a better QB because he's far more dangerous. He reads and goes through his progressions better and faster, making generally good decisions He can make good accurate throws consistently.

McVay likes QBs with a gunslinger mentality. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rams either signed Sam Howell if released or traded for him. Sam's issues stem from his decision making, and he's a work in progress when it comes to reading defenses. That said he's got a good enough arm out to the intermediate zones and has a gunslinger mentality. I'm not confident that the Seahawks can turn him into a starting quality QB though with Grubb it remains to be seen.

Back to the Niners, I would be shocked if the Niners didn't extend Purdy next year. If Brock has another strong year he will be looking at a major payday in 2026. This is why the Rams need to be thinking taking a first round QB to control his rights and salary for 5 years. Next year I like Beck and Leonard as QBs to watch this year. Both are Juniors so there is no guarantee either will come out. But I would expect Beck to come out if he has another strong year. Leonard is a sleeper type prospect at this point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Purdy's agent wants 50 million per year I'd consider letting him walk. I'm pretty sure the whiners front office can find a QB that would like to play for this team on a much better contract. How much worse would Jimmy G be in this offense? Or Carson Wentz? Or even Blake Bortels or Tyrod Taylor? And maybe then they could keep some of their other core players. And they would certainly get a nice comp pick for him and possibly draft someohe. Just a thought.
I think Jimmy wore out his welcome with the injuries and then not wanting to play injured.

It will be interesting to see if they try to continue to go the cheap route.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You could tell they all thought last year was their year. It’s hard to replicate and sustain that effort over another entire season. And it’s past time for Trent Williams to fall apart.
If the Niners have one more cheap year of Purdy then I’m not ruling them out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Christian McCaffrey played 16 games last year (sat out finale against us) in 2023.

In the four prior seasons he played (in reverse chronological order): 11, 6, 7 and 3 games.

Just saying.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Christian McCaffrey played 16 games last year (sat out finale against us) in 2023.

In the four prior seasons he played (in reverse chronological order): 11, 6, 7 and 3 games.

Just saying.
I don't think that's right.

The 11 and 6 were games played with two teams (Carolina and S.F.) in 2022, when he played 17 games.

The 7 (in 2021) and 3 (in 2020) are correct.

McCaffrey has played a full year in five of his seven seasons.