The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't matter what we think though. The reporters on the zoom call are the ones reporting it. They're the ones saying they heard it.
I went on twitter and listened to the audio posted by thiery, I didn't hear him say now. It sure has given her some clicks though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If they move on from Goff, I hope they have a long-term plan.

Budget Russell Wilson with a worse line is not something I want to see.

I don’t think they move away from Goff unless it’s fir someone like Watson. There’s a near zero chance we just bench/dump Goff.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
People are reading way too much into the "....right now..." comment. McVay wasn't exactly thinking about proper English at that time. I am sure he had a lot on his mind. I am sure the "....right now." ending had more to do with his recent performance before today.

Besides...who's better that is available?

Watson?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that doesn’t tell the whole story.

there are whole articles that detail how a Watson cap hit would work for Houston and how a Goff cap hit would work for the Rams and while not easy are doable.

And Goff’s dead money cap hit wouldn’t be $65M
It would be an immediate hit to the Rams cap of at least 22.2 mill between signing and restructure bonus. Not sure if roster bonus that were guaranteed would be also included.

Shuie3225

Starter
Well its funny that a tweet, with a cut off sound byte holds all this weight, but if you hear his press conference he is happy with Goff and there is no indication he wants to move on

I think when multiple Rams beat writers, like 4 of them are tweeting about how McVay answered the question, then there might be something to this. There might not be also... but McVay always seems calculated with how he chooses his words and it would've been very easy to answer that question with a big endorsement for Goff. Especially after a game where he played fairly well. Throw in how over the past few months we've seen McVay criticize Goff to the media more than we have the past 4 years combined. It's definitely interesting to say the least.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Man do I tire of these conversations.

This league has two types of QBs and establish rules for them.

Goff is one type that can play to I guess 43.

The other is one type than can play to around 29 before they need to adapt to more like one plays to 43.

We have what we have and need to surround our guy with the right people.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think when multiple Rams beat writers, like 4 of them are tweeting about how McVay answered the question, then there might be something to this. There might not be also... but McVay always seems calculated with how he chooses his words and it would've been very easy to answer that question with a big endorsement for Goff. Especially after a game where he played fairly well. Throw in how over the past few months we've seen McVay criticize Goff to the media more than we have the past 4 years combined. It's definitely interesting to say the least.
He did give an endorsement of Goff in his presser, he's clearly pissed at the Woods screen play call, called it "stupid", so if that was Goff's call, then maybe there's more to it. However, I believe it is/was McVay call and that he's pissied at himself

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
He does seem to say "...right now" to me.
It seems to imply "at the moment".

He also didn't seem to answer the Donald question in the beginning directly.
However, he was in great praise of him, the whole D, and Akers, but seemed a bit off when talking about Goff.

Like a great drama series, McVay has left us on a cliff hanger.

Shuie3225

Starter
He did give an endorsement of Goff in his presser, he's clearly pissed at the Woods screen play call, called it "stupid", so if that was Goff's call, then maybe there's more to it. However, I believe it is/was McVay call and that he's pissied at himself

He gave an endorsement of Goff's game today yes...and it was fitting because Goff did play a nice game today.

But when Bill Plaschke asks: "Is he your QB?" and he replies with "Yes he's our QB right now." That's not necessarily a ringing endorsement for Goff's future. I think that's why all our beat writers were so taken aback by this answer.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was watching the post game comments. I heard the question and answer.

I dunno what’s in McVays head or heart. That said, his answer and the tone I’ve NEVER heard from McVay before.

As I said before, it could just be the despair of losing, but it felt deeper than that... and the universal reaction from the beat writers was shock. McVay had two questions left and the room went silent. No one asked anymore questions and McVay left quickly.

This isn’t some Twitter over reaction. I’d be right there with ya if I thought it was.
He has been thru the ringer with these beat writers over the past month trying to get the scoop on Who's Starting, How's Goff's thumb, are you happy with Goff, how's Wolford, etc, etc... The words he uses in the presser mean more than what was allegedly said to beat writers IMO. He's got to be spent, and sick of all of them

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No one is worth $25 million per year to play football. Goff’s performance this year wasn’t worth $5 million.

Would love to see him growing from what he did in 2018 but that has not happened.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
it’s just conversation and our season is over. We supposed to just hand out hand jobs and rah rah next year?

I really like Goff.

And...it’s a possibility we trade Goff.

That’s pretty much it.

Other than the Bills, I don’t really give a crap about any other teams in the playoffs

I mean, I would.

But you do you. This thread is already 4 pages. Maybe this will be the true second #questfor100.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man do I tire of these conversations.

This league has two types of QBs and establish rules for them.

Goff is one type that can play to I guess 43.

The other is one type than can play to around 29 before they need to adapt to more like one plays to 43.

We have what we have and need to surround our guy with the right people.
With what money though? Surround him how? We aren't flush with cap and picks to get him premium lineman and recievers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With what money though? Surround him how? We aren't flush with cap and picks to get him premium lineman and recievers.
We have a 2nd rounder three third rounders and a 4th round pick. Cap space can always be manipulated a bit too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He gave an endorsement of Goff's game today yes...and it was fitting because Goff did play a nice game today.

But when Bill Plaschke asks: "Is he your QB?" and he replies with "Yes he's our QB right now." That's not necessarily a ringing endorsement for Goff's future. I think that's why all our beat writers were so taken aback by this answer.
He was ready to leave when Plaschke pops in to ask questions, and again he speaks highly of Goff's performance. You cant hear him say "right now" that's a bit of hearsay. But you cant tell the question pissed him off. And why wouldnt it? Answering the same shit over and over for a month, nd now he just wants to get off the podium