The Five Worst Offenses in STL Rams History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rainram

Starter
How hard did he attempt to get Gase though? Was he willing to give him the autonomy he wanted? He was already fighting an uphill battle with Fox going to Chicago and creating a natural landing spot for Gase. I question whether JF is willing to give an OC enough autonomy to run it the way the guy would want to. I don't have any proof, but given the history of his offenses, there does appear to be a trend. There's never been a real good OC under him as far as I know.
The two other things with Gase...

1. He likely would be gone in a year or two for a HC gig...and he's have to find another guy.
2. Part of the idea of promoting Cigs was that it didn't require an installation of an entirely new offense...so in theory, the learning curve and adjustments for both the players, AND coaches, was less.

Obviously the 2nd point seems flawed at this point because we couldn't be any worse on offense. But if those two points went into his thinking, they are certainly logical.

And JFTR, if we can Fisher, Gase is on my short list.

Rainram

Starter
He's kind of right in a way because missing on guys like Jason Smith or Sam Bradford is worse than never taking them at all...especially in the case of Bradford before the rookie contracts went in. The silver lining in all of this though is all we have to do is look at a team like Oakland. Put together a string of a few good drafts and your offense can take off. Seeing the same thing in Jacksonville, they are building something down there and you can see it develop, and it just stinks to see our offense spinning its wheels in the mud or even going backwards.

As bad as the Bradford era has been for that high of a pick, it seems trading him for Foles was even worse.

Meanwhile...Oakland has one of the league's worst defenses. And Jacksonville, for "all their improvement," is still bottom half in the league on offense and defense. Both teams are sub .500 teams, and Jacksonville plays in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL.

WvuIN02

Starter
Meanwhile...Oakland has one of the league's worst defenses. And Jacksonville, for "all their improvement," is still bottom half in the league on offense and defense. Both teams are sub .500 teams, and Jacksonville plays in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL.

You missed my point. I used them as examples of how a team can greatly improve in just a couple of drafts given that you hit on most of your picks, especially at the QB position.

They were both terribly lacking in talent, far worse than us. Both have found franchise QBs, and are improving. Oaklands offense is 11th, same as our defense. And their defense is ranked higher than our offense....I'd much rather be in Oaklands situation right now than ours from a roster standpoint. Who cares how good your defense is when they are on the field all game because your offense is producing a 3rd down conversion rating that is historically the worst in 20+ years. Having a franchise QB trumps everything.

Jacksonville is 4-7, Rams are 4-7, Oakland is 5-6.

We just need to bring in someone who can evaluate offensive talent because Fishers history as a coach tells us he is not good at this sort of thing. Steve McNair was the best QB Fisher ever was able to find, a guy with a career 82 QBR who threw for 194 yards per game. Hmm, those numbers are oddly familiar......

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
To think about what used to be during the GOST era makes me sad. The football gods have got to be shitting on us for being so fucking good during those years. Hell, we didn't even have to score those many points per game to win most of the time. If we could borrow about 4 points a game from the 2000 team we would be in there!

…..

Legend
Two points-

-Those taking shots at the Rams in hindsight over failed draft picks are really just stating the obvious. Hindsight is easy. The picks were the right picks. Nothing is guaranteed and no one can see thru a crystal ball. I have not and will not criticize the Rams when they are taking BPA in a position of need. Hitting the jackpot ain't easy. but at least we made the right moves to give ourselves a chance. I think many of you, and myself too, are often too critical in times of distress and we lose focus.

2- Those taking shots at the reporters for doing their jobs are also taking the easy way route. It's not the reporters fault that the team SUCKS. They are just doing their jobs. The team needs to suck a little less and the reporters are just doing a job and telling the sucky truths.

We currently do not have the players needed to stop sucking. Too many of our good players are hurt and the rest are losing heart fast. We'really gonna suck for the rest of the year. May as well get used to it.

Blame who u need to blame.. but it's not the reporters or even the coaches who caused the suckage. We just ran out of players. We'll be fine year 5. Unfortunate, but it's the reality.

Rainram

Starter
You missed my point. I used them as examples of how a team can greatly improve in just a couple of drafts given that you hit on most of your picks, especially at the QB position.

They were both terribly lacking in talent, far worse than us. Both have found franchise QBs, and are improving. Oaklands offense is 11th, same as our defense. And their defense is ranked higher than our offense....I'd much rather be in Oaklands situation right now than ours from a roster standpoint. Who cares how good your defense is when they are on the field all game because your offense is producing a 3rd down conversion rating that is historically the worst in 20+ years. Having a franchise QB trumps everything.

Jacksonville is 4-7, Rams are 4-7, Oakland is 5-6.

We just need to bring in someone who can evaluate offensive talent because Fishers history as a coach tells us he is not good at this sort of thing. Steve McNair was the best QB Fisher ever was able to find, a guy with a career 82 QBR who threw for 194 yards per game. Hmm, those numbers are oddly familiar......
Nah. I got the point. I just disagreed with it.

Points I disagree with:
- "They were both terribly lacking in talent, far worse than us." I am very aware of our 2011 Roster.
- The stats you used...or rather, how you tried to sell them.
- "I'd much rather be in Oakland situation right now than ours from a roster standpoint." Me: ABSOLUTELY NOT! I love Cooper, Carr and Mack (and a handful of others on their team). But talking whole rosters?? Not me! But we're each entitled to our own opinions.

Points I agree with:
- "Having a franchise QB trumps everything." Yup...Fisher thought he had his Bradford..not so much. Carr looks great. Bortles...ehhh...ask me again in a couple years, but I ain't sold.

Point(s) I can't say whether I agree with or not:
- The part about evaluating offensive talent. You make a good point about his history. But Eddie George was good...His OLines were good. And what QB, outside of McNair was actually his? Because the owners told him to take Vince Young, IIRC. Here they've acquired Gurley and Tavon...decent talent there. Do Havenstein and Brown count? GRob is trending downward? This is definitely a valid point and the leading argument over the past 4 weeks. But I'm on the fence here.

Good Talk...:cheers:

WvuIN02

Starter
Fair enough sir, but at least its apparent to everyone from ownership, coaches, and fans the offense needs a lot of work. How that happens is out of our control though, it just gets hard to go from hopeful back down to reality every year.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, not too much mystery about it. After doing it his way for 20+ years, I'm sure he has a hard time giving the keys to an outsider. But to try and pretend like he didn't make an effort to try and fix the issue on O is a bit disingenuous. I don't want to make excuses for the guy, if it were up to me, I'd can him at the end of the year. Just seems it's trendy to sweep that information under the rug and play the "gah I hate Fisher he don't care about teh offense!" card.
Yeah, I believe he cares... he's just very bad at building one... and running one.

Intent? There
Execution? Not there (hey, he's blaming the players for that... :ROFLMAO:)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How hard did he attempt to get Gase though? Was he willing to give him the autonomy he wanted?
Well, he got his man Williams and gave him all the autonomy he (Williams ) wanted...

It's not like a precedent hadn't been set.