The Cardinals are tough...but overrated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Where's the delete option? Moved this response to the playoffs thread. Makes more sense there.

Last edited:

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I keep hearing all this talk about how great the Cardinals are and how far ahead they are than the Rams. I don't buy it.

Yes, they won 10 games last year. They did this with their starting QB the entire season. The Rams won 7 games while missing their starting QB for a big chunk of the year. The key difference to me in the 2013 Rams and Cardinals seasons were three games. The Cardinals were able to beat the Seahawks, Panthers, and Titans. The Rams weren't far off from beating those three teams and probably should have pulled out a win in at least 2 of the 3. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...but I just don't see this gap as large as some of the pundits are making it out to be. I also think the Rams have more of an ascending team while the Cardinals have ascending areas but also have some spots that probably aren't.

I am glad somebody brought this up. Also Palmer is so old and never has done much in his career.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He's had some pretty damn decent years and still has a good effective 2-3 years left.
Palmer throws a ton of picks, he can't move, and he's a very old 34 held together with band-aids. He was sacked 41 times last year, a career high, and I don't see that improving in the NFC West. How anyone can expect him to last 16 games this year is beyond me. What are you basing it on? Last year was his first 16 game season in 4 years.

It looks pretty simple to me. An aging immobile QB, with bad knees, in a pass happy offense, and playing in division with vicious defenses - That is a recipe for disaster.

I actually feel sorry for Palmer this year. Everyone knows that Palmer is the key to beating the Cards. Those West defenses are gonna be coming after him like wild boars hunting truffles. You may have to close your eyes.

Matt Waldman said on the Footballguys podcast when the Rams picked Donald that Arians will be looking for another job.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Palmer doesn't scare me.

Their defense is what I worry about.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Palmer doesn't scare me.

Their defense is what I worry about.
Agree. But if their defense is on the field a lot because their offense keeps turning the ball over, they've got a big problem.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Palmer is just another band-aid QB in AZ since Warner left. Difference being that he can actually play the position...problem is he's in the wrong division to be a 34 yr old statue in the pocket.

The ONLY matchup i feel that they'll have on us is their skilled secondary vs our WR's when we have to throw the ball when/if we're behind on the scoreboard. Same goes for Seattle.

I'm counting on us having a dominant running game vs AZ's thin front seven. Wear them out and get Cook involved because they can't cover him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Palmer is just another band-aid QB in AZ since Warner left. Difference being that he can actually play the position...problem is he's in the wrong division to be a 34 yr old statue in the pocket.

The ONLY matchup i feel that they'll have on us is their skilled secondary vs our WR's when we have to throw the ball when/if we're behind on the scoreboard. Same goes for Seattle.

I'm counting on us having a dominant running game vs AZ's thin front seven. Wear them out and get Cook involved because they can't cover him.

That's how I see, too.

The last time we played them in AZ, their D stuff our running game with Wells and Barksdale out, and the center of our OL looking very weak with Williams, Barnes, and Dahl. Saffold had to play RT. So we got zero push in the middle. If we have Stacy and Mason running behind Saffold and Robinson at OGs, that should be very different.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I just wanna add the rest of our division to this thread.

They're all overrated because we're underrated.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Palmer throws a ton of picks, he can't move, and he's a very old 34 held together with band-aids. He was sacked 41 times last year, a career high, and I don't see that improving in the NFC West. How anyone can expect him to last 16 games this year is beyond me. What are you basing it on? Last year was his first 16 game season in 4 years.

It looks pretty simple to me. An aging immobile QB, with bad knees, in a pass happy offense, and playing in division with vicious defenses - That is a recipe for disaster.

I actually feel sorry for Palmer this year. Everyone knows that Palmer is the key to beating the Cards. Those West defenses are gonna be coming after him like wild boars hunting truffles. You may have to close your eyes.

Matt Waldman said on the Footballguys podcast when the Rams picked Donald that Arians will be looking for another job.
Homer vision set to off

The Same can be Said about Sam Bradford except he's not that old just yet. What do I mean about Palmer having a few decent seasons? The last two he's thrown for 4,000+ yards and has 2 more under his belt as well, and three 3,0000 yard seasons with good touchdown to interception ratios. Granted last year he's 62.6 comp. percentage, 4274 yards and 24 TD's to a 22 int. If you ask me that's a damn good season and didn't straight up lose the games for the Cards with a sh*tty o-line. He also played a full 16 games in which Sam has only done twice in his tenure here so far. Is Palmer a liability for the Cards? No.
If they did straighten out their line I'm going to be a bit more worried facing them this year.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Arias is the new Satan
Personally I think the 49ers IMPLODE this year with Harbaugh and the Seahags are now up against it with those contracts their gravy train is quickly coming to an end - they're gonna have to start paying all this "talent" and their last draft sucked beyond belief so the Carroll dream has reached the apex as it did at SC /
It's gonna be a year for Sleepers and I think ultimately the Cardinals and Rams are gonna be the torch bearers here in NFC West
But Carson Palmer isn't gonna last forever - their D is right there with the Rams. It's gonna be one hell of a season

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Arias is the new Satan
Personally I think the 49ers IMPLODE this year with Harbaugh and the Seahags are now up against it with those contracts their gravy train is quickly coming to an end - they're gonna have to start paying all this "talent" and their last draft sucked beyond belief so the Carroll dream has reached the apex as it did at SC /
It's gonna be a year for Sleepers and I think ultimately the Cardinals and Rams are gonna be the torch bearers here in NFC West
But Carson Palmer isn't gonna last forever - their D is right there with the Rams. It's gonna be one hell of a season
That's my assessment as we'll with our division. I'm hoping Seattle falls off with the payments and 49 ers do the self implosion starting with their coach

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Arias is the new Satan
Ps like your avatar lol

Cardncub

Rookie
Homer vision set to off

The Same can be Said about Sam Bradford except he's not that old just yet. What do I mean about Palmer having a few decent seasons? The last two he's thrown for 4,000+ yards and has 2 more under his belt as well, and three 3,0000 yard seasons with good touchdown to interception ratios. Granted last year he's 62.6 comp. percentage, 4274 yards and 24 TD's to a 22 int. If you ask me that's a damn good season and didn't straight up lose the games for the Cards with a sh*tty o-line. He also played a full 16 games in which Sam has only done twice in his tenure here so far. Is Palmer a liability for the Cards? No.
If they did straighten out their line I'm going to be a bit more worried facing them this year.

Good post. :D With the addition of Veldheer & Cooper coming back I think our O-Line will be vastly improved. There is a battle right now for RG & RT which I think if it ends up being Watford & Massie we will have a young & very athletic line this year. I agree if the Cards have a competent line our offense will be pretty damn good. Also this will be the second year now with our offense installed. Palmer, Fitz, Floyd etc struggled early on with still trying to learn the offense. It wasn't until mid season that they started to really grasp what Arians was trying to do. Palmer has come out & said it's night & day difference between last years camp & this years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Im leaning towards betting 200.00 on the cards winning the division when I go to cegas next week
The Center for Environmental, Geotechnical and Applied Sciences? You guys got an office pool goin' on?

Memphis Ram

Legend
7-1 vs. teams with losing records
3-5 vs. team with winning records
2-4 vs. the division

Not a strong 10-6, but I'd take it.