Tavon Austin disappearing from Rams offense/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Username said:
Sorry guys, I don't care what any argument is. The Rams refusal to use Austin is ridiculous anyway you look at it. You don't take a player at #8 overall in the draft that you don't intend to play or utilize in a game.

"Well Username, what if the Rams don't use Austin but they still win?" Then it's still dumb, and they shouldn't have taken him. That's not a knock against Austin or Schotty btw. I still think Austin is an extremely talented player, and I don't really mind Schotty that much. However, if they're not a good fit, and he has no use for him, then YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER freaking DRAFTED HIM. How many times did I say that before the draft guys? If you're going to draft him, you better use him, and use him how he's suppose to be used. If not, then don't draft him.
Well, to be fair, he's just a rookie who is still getting acclimated with picking up an NFL offense and is now going against real football players on defense. We've been putting him in all the right spots. Bubble screens, quick slants, a couple of deep outs, 9's, punt returns, etc. The fact that he's not lighting up the scoreboard yet isn't really an indictment of the OC, IMO, in as much as it's just him not being able to take advantage of his opportunities ---- YET. Chrissakes, he could have had a few REALLY good returns, but laundry keeps flying everytime he gets out past the 30.

We should revisit this at the end of the year and see where he stacks up against other first round receivers.

I'd say Sam takes some of the blame there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
Username said:
Sorry guys, I don't care what any argument is. The Rams refusal to use Austin is ridiculous anyway you look at it. You don't take a player at #8 overall in the draft that you don't intend to play or utilize in a game.

"Well Username, what if the Rams don't use Austin but they still win?" Then it's still dumb, and they shouldn't have taken him. That's not a knock against Austin or Schotty btw. I still think Austin is an extremely talented player, and I don't really mind Schotty that much. However, if they're not a good fit, and he has no use for him, then YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER freaking DRAFTED HIM. How many times did I say that before the draft guys? If you're going to draft him, you better use him, and use him how he's suppose to be used. If not, then don't draft him.
Well, to be fair, he's just a rookie who is still getting acclimated with picking up an NFL offense and is now going against real football players on defense. We've been putting him in all the right spots. Bubble screens, quick slants, a couple of deep outs, 9's, punt returns, etc. The fact that he's not lighting up the scoreboard yet isn't really an indictment of the OC, IMO, in as much as it's just him not being able to take advantage of his opportunities ---- YET. Chrissakes, he could have had a few REALLY good returns, but laundry keeps flying everytime he gets out past the 30.

We should revisit this at the end of the year and see where he stacks up against other first round receivers.

I'd say Sam takes some of the blame there.
I'm sure he can take some of it. As can the blocking, and as can Austin himself. Point is, nobody can expect it to all click for him 6 games into his first season. I suspect as the offense becomes more balanced, defenses won't be able to converge on him as much.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GreeneCounty said:
Man I just think letting SJ go without a plan was a mistake.

they had a plan and the plan didn't work. that's why they reverted to last season's plan and inserted stacy as the rb. stacy is doing a better job than sjax did last season.

meanwhile sjax is still standing on the sideline.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ky Ram said:
The real loser in all this is Givens IMO. We just do not look deep enough to showcase his biggest strength.

are you kidding me? the rams have bombed two long bomb td opportunities to him in the last two games.

sam was slow getting him the ball against the jags and the db broke it up, then givens dropped a perfectly thrown bomb against the texans that he would have taken to the endzone.

in my opinion givens will get more opportunities now that the rams have started running the ball with authority.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:
GreeneCounty said:
jrry32 said:
GreeneCounty said:
Man I just think letting SJ go without a plan was a mistake.

Doesn't look like it now that Stacy has emerged and SJ remains on the sideline.

jrry32 I do agree I like the sample I seen from Stacy so far. Wonder how things would of been different start of year if he played. I think his sec pedigree is gonna help him in the NFL.

I think the Atlanta game would have been different. Dallas and San Fran we got manhandled. I don't think that would have changed much.

Early on, our defense was slowing SF down. Had our offense not been so 1-dimensional and ineffective...maybe things are different. But that's really impossible to know. We still likely lose that game in bad fashion as Sam was having just a terrible day. He was clearly off that game.

i think if sam hit pettis early for that td the rams may have made a game of it. the real turning point in that game was when the rams got the turnover early in the second half and then had a 3 and out without even looking like they were gonna make a completion. game was over at that point and both teams knew it.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:

"Well Username, what if the Rams don't use Austin but they still win?" Then it's still dumb, and they shouldn't have taken him. That's not a knock against Austin or Schotty btw. I still think Austin is an extremely talented player, and I don't really mind Schotty that much. However, if they're not a good fit, and he has no use for him, then YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER FUCKING DRAFTED HIM. How many times did I say that before the draft guys? If you're going to draft him, you better use him, and use him how he's suppose to be used. If not, then don't draft him.

No fly sweeps, no end arounds, fake end arounds, screens out of the backfield, motion out of the backfield, motion into the backfield, a handful of handoffs. I wouldn't say the Rams have been that creative with him to date. At least attempt to create mismatches with motion for Christ sakes. I don't think that's because Schotty lacks the ability to be creative, I just think it's against his and Fishers playcalling philosophy right now. I don't think they're "win or die by the run," I think they just do what they think needs to be done. For the offense right now run heavy seems to be the right direction, and don't get me wrong I love it. Especially if Stacy continues. If we can run on anyone, and play defense, we have a recipe for MAJOR success. It's early though, we'll see how that progresses. Regardless, right now it doesn't include using Austin in any other role other than a 2010 Danny Amendola. I don't think it even included using him any different before the last 2 games either. We'll see. I just think it's ridiculous to draft him #8 overall if you're not going to use him. At least start letting him take back kickoffs then. How many kicks do I have to watch get taken back for TDs and big gains since the rule change before Fisher figures out it's still possible?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For Tavon to get the one on ones, he has to learn all WR positions along with each route tree.

As soon as he can do that they will move his arse all over the field and D's will have a difficult time keeping up.

Just gonna take him some time.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Username said:
X said:
Username said:

"Well Username, what if the Rams don't use Austin but they still win?" Then it's still dumb, and they shouldn't have taken him. That's not a knock against Austin or Schotty btw. I still think Austin is an extremely talented player, and I don't really mind Schotty that much. However, if they're not a good fit, and he has no use for him, then YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER FUCKING DRAFTED HIM. How many times did I say that before the draft guys? If you're going to draft him, you better use him, and use him how he's suppose to be used. If not, then don't draft him.

No fly sweeps, no end arounds, fake end arounds, screens out of the backfield, motion out of the backfield, motion into the backfield, a handful of handoffs. I wouldn't say the Rams have been that creative with him to date. At least attempt to create mismatches with motion for Christ sakes. I don't think that's because Schotty lacks the ability to be creative, I just think it's against his and Fishers playcalling philosophy right now. I don't think they're "win or die by the run," I think they just do what they think needs to be done. For the offense right now run heavy seems to be the right direction, and don't get me wrong I love it. Especially if Stacy continues. If we can run on anyone, and play defense, we have a recipe for MAJOR success. It's early though, we'll see how that progresses. Regardless, right now it doesn't include using Austin in any other role other than a 2010 Danny Amendola. I don't think it even included using him any different before the last 2 games either. We'll see. I just think it's ridiculous to draft him #8 overall if you're not going to use him. At least start letting him take back kickoffs then. How many kicks do I have to watch get taken back for TDs and big gains since the rule change before Fisher figures out it's still possible?

I think that is precisely why Fisher hired him. Fisher has never run a juggernaut style offense......or anything close to it really, so BS made perfect sense (to him) as his OC. Personally, I would have liked Childress, or even Mornhinweg, who run similar WC concepts as I recall. They seem to find more creative ways to showcase their players.

Still too early to be worried about TA. Even in the few touches he has had, I have seen that speed and quick twitch burst that I was so geeked about when we traded up for him. I am a TA Superfan, and I say just wait for it. Its not a matter of if this kid will break out, its when.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
kurtfaulk said:
Ky Ram said:
The real loser in all this is Givens IMO. We just do not look deep enough to showcase his biggest strength.

are you kidding me? the rams have bombed two long bomb td opportunities to him in the last two games.

sam was slow getting him the ball against the jags and the db broke it up, then givens dropped a perfectly thrown bomb against the texans that he would have taken to the endzone.

in my opinion givens will get more opportunities now that the rams have started running the ball with authority.

I love what Stacey has done as much as the next guy but 2 sub 100 yrd games is not running with authority

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rabid Ram said:
kurtfaulk said:
Ky Ram said:

I love what Stacey has done as much as the next guy but 2 sub 100 yrd games is not running with authority

I think the defenders trying to tackle him would disagree. :lol:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Faceplant said:
I think that is precisely why Fisher hired him. Fisher has never run a juggernaut style offense......or anything close to it really, so BS made perfect sense (to him) as his OC. Personally, I would have liked Childress, or even Mornhinweg, who run similar WC concepts as I recall. They seem to find more creative ways to showcase their players.

Still too early to be worried about TA. Even in the few touches he has had, I have seen that speed and quick twitch burst that I was so geeked about when we traded up for him. I am a TA Superfan, and I say just wait for it. Its not a matter of if this kid will break out, its when.

I agree. I study every TA play and he's so close.

Many say he dances too much but I don't see it. Every time he dances, defenders go down. It's just that he has nowhere to go because they don't plan around his skills.

I also don't agree that he needs more time. They just don't use him well. When they start planning plays that fit his style everyone will say it was just that TA needed time. I don't think he EVER breaks out with this play calling. IMO, the game they start running creative plays that gets him the ball in the open field is the game he breaks out and it could have been game one.

This week he takes one to the house on a punt return WITH NO PENALTIES! :ww:

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ouch... I think it's true.

Austin doesn't fit in the proto typical power run offense very well, either. Its all about size and power up front, good TE play, and big WR's. Cook can't block so you could say he doesn't, either. Nobody expected our spread offense to be this bad. Hopkins may have been a better pick but it's early. Very early.

WvuIN02

Starter
mr.stlouis said:

Austin doesn't fit in the proto typical power run offense very well, either. Its all about size and power up front, good TE play, and big WR's. Cook can't block so you could say he doesn't, either. Nobody expected our spread offense to be this bad. Hopkins may have been a better pick but it's early. Very early.

Are you kidding me? Look at what is happening in New England with nobody rookies playing there, and that included Amendola before he gets a hangnail every week where he was productive too.

Welker for the Pats? Woodhead?

At this point I don't get how people can keep puling the wool over their eyes to the systemic problem which starts with Fisher's philosophy of 1972 football and trickles down through BS. Our hope has to be at some point he realizes his approach is outdated and can hire an OC (maybe even from the college ranks) who knows how to utilize these kinds of players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WvuIN02 said:
mr.stlouis said:

Are you kidding me? Look at what is happening in New England with nobody rookies playing there, and that included Amendola before he gets a hangnail every week where he was productive too.

Welker for the Pats? Woodhead?

At this point I don't get how people can keep puling the wool over their eyes to the systemic problem which starts with Fisher's philosophy of 1972 football and trickles down through BS. Our hope has to be at some point he realizes his approach is outdated and can hire an OC (maybe even from the college ranks) who knows how to utilize these kinds of players.
Systemic problem with his philosophy? Since when? Right now the Rams are ranked 7th in the league in passing attempts and are near the bottom in rushing attempts. Even last year we were ranked 11th in passing attempts. All this talk about him being some sort of relic in the NFL who refuses to adapt is misplaced. He's simply known for tough defenses and a balanced offense. Get him a QB who can make plays (ala McNair), and he has no problem with a passing game at all. If he has a better running game, then he'll use that (White/CJ). He's pragmatic like that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, you can say we lead the lead in passing attempts, but I would argue that the QUALITY of those attempts is suspect at best.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Well, you can say we lead the lead in passing attempts, but I would argue that the QUALITY of those attempts is suspect at best.
They are what they are. Granted a lot of them are of the short yardage variety, but that's what you do when you can't run the ball. Now that we've demonstrated that we can (sorta) run, you'll see more of those longer developing routes get targeted I'm sure. My main point is, even dating back to last year, Fisher hasn't demonstrated that he prefers to run just for the sake of running. Last year was Bradford's highest YPA of his career, and it was under Fisher/Schotty.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
True that, the Rams had appeared to abandon the run early in the season.

Anyway, I noticed people minimizing his drops and man I hate drops so I had to look it up, because you know how bad plays tend to stick in your mind that actually skew the overall reality about a player? So I looked up his stats thinking he's not as bad as he seems, right? Wrong, he leads the league in drops at 7. He's not getting the opportunities from Bradford or Shottenheimer? Not at all, in fact he leads the team in targets at 41.

Wow. Ok, in that light, I would say Tavon Austin can help himself. True both he an Cook may not be good fits for this team and may have been bad overall acquisitions, but I do agree that it would be interesting to see him in some sweeps and end arounds.

RamzFanz

Damnit
X said:
Faceplant said:
They are what they are. Granted a lot of them are of the short yardage variety, but that's what you do when you can't run the ball. Now that we've demonstrated that we can (sorta) run, you'll see more of those longer developing routes get targeted I'm sure. My main point is, even dating back to last year, Fisher hasn't demonstrated that he prefers to run just for the sake of running. Last year was Bradford's highest YPA of his career, and it was under Fisher/Schotty.

In the last game they threw to Givens in the flat and assigned people to block for him. Then they threw to TA in the flat with no blocking.

That's what I don't get.

I don't think it's run vs pass in regards to TA, I don't think it's the number of targets, but pass play design. When they start designing plays where he has blocking or a 5 yard cushion... nightmare for defenses. I would love to see 5-6 plays a game designed solely to get him the ball in the open field or with blocking.

WvuIN02

Starter
Pass attempts is misleading as the Rams love to get way behind from running the ball constantly and playing dink and dunk football, then are forced into throwing it 800 times a game to catch up.