Stromberg declares for NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
some discussion of Stromberg around here

paywall

Stromberg, a fourth-year senior from Tulsa who made preseason All-SEC teams, bypassed early entry for the draft last season but elected to forgo a potential bonus year at Arkansas. A source close to the situation said Stromberg, who has 44 career starts, will not play in the Razorbacks’ bowl game.

Stromberg thanked Pittman, Cody Kennedy and Brad Davis, his current and former offensive line coaches with the Razorbacks, in his announcement on social media. He also thanked the fans.

“You guys made the last 4 years unforgettable and I will cherish every moment I’ve had here,” Stromberg wrote.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
some discussion of Stromberg around here

paywall

Stromberg, a fourth-year senior from Tulsa who made preseason All-SEC teams, bypassed early entry for the draft last season but elected to forgo a potential bonus year at Arkansas. A source close to the situation said Stromberg, who has 44 career starts, will not play in the Razorbacks’ bowl game.

Stromberg thanked Pittman, Cody Kennedy and Brad Davis, his current and former offensive line coaches with the Razorbacks, in his announcement on social media. He also thanked the fans.

“You guys made the last 4 years unforgettable and I will cherish every moment I’ve had here,” Stromberg wrote.

Almost a month since my mock and Stromberg is still my top get with our 2'nd round pick. Now that it looks like we'll be drafting between #3 and #4 overall in the 2'nd, we might even be able to grab him after a slight trade down. I'd have Stromberg starting at LG in 2023 and have him replace Allen at Center for the 2024 season. jmo.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Named all-SEC 1st team Center today

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
He's the type of player we need on the OL - someone who potentially can handle his business 1 on 1, regardless of who is across from him. Having an anchor like that somewhere on the OL (as Whitworth was at the LT spot) makes the tasks of the other OL that much easier.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Named the Jacob’s trophy winner.
Best SEC blocker.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s thicker than anybody McVay has had at center. Do you guys think coach changes enough to draft this guy or is this just a wishful thinking? He’s thicker than Bruss who is one of the stoutest guys McVay has drafted so far.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He’s thicker than anybody McVay has had at center. Do you guys think coach changes enough to draft this guy or is this just a wishful thinking? He’s thicker than Bruss who is one of the stoutest guys McVay has drafted so far.

Please don't cause me to relive our nightmare 2'nd round of the 2021 draft.
This will be McSneads opportunity to right a wrong, don't hex it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please don't cause me to relive our nightmare 2'nd round of the 2021 draft.
This will be McSneads opportunity to right a wrong, don't hex it.
I'm not saying anything about Tutu. I'm saying the OL he's drafted haven't been thick power guys like Stromberg. Do you think he changes that philosophy up front?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not saying anything about Tutu. I'm saying the OL he's drafted haven't been thick power guys like Stromberg. Do you think he changes that philosophy up front?

My point was actually more about allowing Creed Humphrey to get away from us. TuTu may still work out, but it doesn't seem we'll know until we get into the 2023 season, his third.
I really don't know if McSnead has learned much from his previous lack of consistent commitment towards the OL, although he did go after Bruss finally with our 3'rd rounder last season, even if it was a very, very late 3'rd rd. pick at #104.
I doubt whether Stromberg lasts much beyond the middle of the 2'nd round, if that, but right now with the way things stand it appears we may be drafting as high as pick #34 - 36 in the 2'nd and #66 - 68 in the 3'rd round. It may be, if Snead is crafty enough, we might trade down a little in the 2'nd in order to pick up an additional 3'rd or 4'th and still be able to land Stromberg, although this could prove risky. I personally would like to see the Rams drafting high for quality OL help over the course of the next 3 years, although this is probably a pipe dream.
The Senior Bowl game & the Combine will still shake up the ratings for many players, but there should be some great players for the Rams to choose from.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point was actually more about allowing Creed Humphrey to get away from us. TuTu may still work out, but it doesn't seem we'll know until we get into the 2023 season, his third.
I really don't know if McSnead has learned much from his previous lack of consistent commitment towards the OL, although he did go after Bruss finally with our 3'rd rounder last season, even if it was a very, very late 3'rd rd. pick at #104.
I doubt whether Stromberg lasts much beyond the middle of the 2'nd round, if that, but right now with the way things stand it appears we may be drafting as high as pick #34 - 36 in the 2'nd and #66 - 68 in the 3'rd round. It may be, if Snead is crafty enough, we might trade down a little in the 2'nd in order to pick up an additional 3'rd or 4'th and still be able to land Stromberg, although this could prove risky. I personally would like to see the Rams drafting high for quality OL help over the course of the next 3 years, although this is probably a pipe dream.
The Senior Bowl game & the Combine will still shake up the ratings for many players, but there should be some great players for the Rams to choose from.
And my point was Stromberg isn't a McVay, at least based on his history of the position, type of center. He's too big. I am not talking about taking a WR over a Center. I'm saying this center is likely too big for McVay. He's a very good center prospect but he's 20-30 lbs heavier than what McVay has typically put at Center (10lbs heavier than what Allen currently weighs which is 15 lbs heavier than when we drafted him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And my point was Stromberg isn't a McVay, at least based on his history of the position, type of center. He's too big. I am not talking about taking a WR over a Center. I'm saying this center is likely too big for McVay. He's a very good center prospect but he's 20-30 lbs heavier than what McVay has typically put at Center (10lbs heavier than what Allen currently weighs which is 15 lbs heavier than when we drafted him.

If that's the reason I would genuinely be shocked. Logan Bruss (316lbs.), Tre Anchrum (315lbs.) & Chandler Brewer (319lbs) are also roughly 10 lbs. heavier than was Corbett. Back-up Center Kolone is listed at 316lbs. While Allen likely remains our starting Center for 2023, I would expect that since he also has experience at LG & RG, Stromberg would get the starting gig next year at LG while replacing free agent Dave Edwards (308lbs.) & learning the Center calls for future use. At 6'4" and 318 lbs., Stromberg seems to be of pretty ideal size for both positions imo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's the reason I would genuinely be shocked. Logan Bruss (316lbs.), Tre Anchrum (315lbs.) & Chandler Brewer (319lbs) are also roughly 10 lbs. heavier than was Corbett. Back-up Center Kolone is listed at 316lbs. While Allen likely remains our starting Center for 2023, I would expect that since he also has experience at LG & RG, Stromberg would get the starting gig next year at LG while replacing free agent Dave Edwards (308lbs.) & learning the Center calls for future use. At 6'4" and 318 lbs., Stromberg seems to be of pretty ideal size for both positions imo.
The starting centers coming out of camp for McVay.

Blythe 290 lbs
Sullivan 302 lbs
Allen 303 lbs

He's put smaller centers and even smaller guards out there for the most part. Hell we have a thread here where people were complaining about our OL being too small.

Last years starting Guards Edwards and Corbett 308 lbs 306 lbs. Whit and Hav both at 330 aren't the heaviest of OT either. Each guy is 10 to 30 lbs lighter than their counterparts on some of the current top OL like the Eagles. I'm not here talking bad about Stromberg at all don't get me wrong I think he could be very good. I'm wondering if he's a McVay type of OL.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not here talking bad about Stromberg at all don't get me wrong I think he could be very good. I'm wondering if he's a McVay type of OL.

I'm not sure anyone other than Snead can answer that question, but we've relied on pass pro types far more than run blockers in the past, and not always successfully, perhaps McVay will see that improved balance for the OL can actually increase the lifespan of his very valuable QB. I can easily see Stafford choosing retirement if we don't significantly upgrade this unit. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure anyone other than Snead can answer that question, but we've relied on pass pro types far more than run blockers in the past, and not always successfully, perhaps McVay will see that improved balance for the OL can actually increase the lifespan of his very valuable QB. I can easily see Stafford choosing retirement if we don't significantly upgrade this unit. jmo.
Tbh he’s going to have to decide before then. First of the year contract money comes due.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Almost a month since my mock and Stromberg is still my top get with our 2'nd round pick. Now that it looks like we'll be drafting between #3 and #4 overall in the 2'nd, we might even be able to grab him after a slight trade down. I'd have Stromberg starting at LG in 2023 and have him replace Allen at Center for the 2024 season. jmo.

Oh no, let’s not play that game. No trading back. If he’s the guy the Rams want, PLEASE don’t screw around. Just draft him ASAP.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

At some point, McVay has got to realize how overmatched the OL is when they have to deal with that 9er front seven. The Rams are in the process of being dethroned as the NFC champs and the only way to get back on top is to start beating the 9ers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At some point, McVay has got to realize how overmatched the OL is when they have to deal with that 9er front seven. The Rams are in the process of being dethroned as the NFC champs and the only way to get back on top is to start beating the 9ers.
You tell him that then. I'm sure he'll change his philosophy based on fan input. After winning a Super Bowl building the team the way he wants it one down year isn't likely to change his mind but that's just me. Especially when that down year has an unprecedented level of OL injuries.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Oh no, let’s not play that game. No trading back. If he’s the guy the Rams want, PLEASE don’t screw around. Just draft him ASAP.

My trade down concept just became more difficult anyway with our unexpected Win over the Raiders. Where we were looking at possibly drafting 3'rd overall in the second round prior to the game, that victory moved us down to closer to seventh or eighth overall in the draft order. With 4 games remaining, our improved QB and OL play could easily change our draft outcome again, so I'll hold off on any more predictions for awhile. jmo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He has to be tired of his OL getting overrun by the 9ers defensive front. You know losing to Shanny rankles him, even though he won the game that mattered most.

But every time I think they're going to put effort into the OL they don't. So who knows.