Streaming platform?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m looking to cut my cable ties in the near future and I’m wondering which device to purchase. It looks like Roku has several tiers and Nvidea looks pretty pricey. I have 2 roughly eight or nine year old LG smart TV’s with sound bars that I’m happy with. I’ve also seen in print recently some brouhaha with Roku over conflict resolution procedures I’m not sure about. Any suggestions?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I’m on YouTube tv and pay about $70/mo. With how old your tvs are you may need to get Google chromecast or an Amazon Firestick ($40). I have a chromecast and it comes with some free channels and videos like Tubi.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I have a ROKU TV (and a ROKU stick, for traveling). Seems to provide sufficient apps for anything I care about - I'm sure your mileage may vary.

I also have one of those Micro-PC's with a remote Keyboard/mouse, for when I absolutely need to hijack a stream, not offered on a commercial platform (Roku, Apple, Chrome etc). On one of my TV's I have purchased a used Micro-PC for about $100, that I put Linux on it - for the same purpose of being able to use a browser on the big screen....

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
We just cut the cable and got the Roku Express 4k+ for all 3 of our TV's. We love it. It handles all the apps fantastic and even has its own set of channels to watch. Throw in that its super cheap, and it was a great purchase.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
We have ROKU TV's

their operation system is super easy to navigate

I'm sure you can download every APP / streaming service there is out there , and even thats super easy

plus

ROKU has their own free channel , but they also have tons of APP's with free stuff on there , and good stuff at that

I don't think you can go wrong with ROKU , user friendly , tons of options

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Now that I no longer work for comcast we dropped the cable tv but kept internet. Have 1 newer samsung that has all the apps, 1 amazon firestick because I could get it the next day and a zumo stream box from comcast that is free. So far we have peacock, netflix, paramount, amazon prime video and hulu. I also rigged a piece of coax with a splitter to use as an antenna to get local channels. Seems like I spend more time looking for something to watch than actually watching anything.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just to be aware, a lot of streaming services offer deals around black friday/cyber monday. I re-up peacock and hulu every year for $0.99/month at that time. That is for the commercial versions but you can pay the extra $5 on top of that for no commercials and it's still a deal. I also usually re-up paramount + all though their deals are never THAT good. I think this year it was $80 for a year which is still roughly half off. Amazon usually has a bunch of channels like AMC + for $0.99 a month for three months too. Usually when I catch up on all my walking dead over the holidays lol.