Stafford wants more guaranteed money; says has more in the tank

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I'm getting from this is we have at least 3 more Stafford years. I'll take it.

jap

Legend

stafford did the rams a solid when he took much less than he could have asked for when he signed the deal.

now he's seeing the crazy money some rather average qbs are getting and probably wants a little more tacked onto his contract. can't blame him. the team cap keeps growing.

that can be worked in with the guaranteed money he wants.

He is not asking for more money: he is asking for more guaranteed money. The Horns restructure star players' contracts so much, often providing those players with more guaranteed money. This shouldn't be that hard for them.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
I know this won't be popular but how much money does he really need? I mean I get the "take the money when you can" approach but seriously, let's not pretend he's not getting older and yes if we keep him upright, he can sling it like crazy but he's one smash away from twitching on the ground. Then what?
We have a history of paying big money that hurts us in the long run. Why this drama has to be an issue must be due to off season material. Go rams. PS I love Stafford but......Don't we want to be in contention for making smart decisions when his wheels fall off or a serious injury occurs? of course we do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had no clue there was an issue. I sure hope the FO gets it resolved quickly. We don't need this kinda thing screwing up OTA's and beyond.

Rams' Matthew Stafford unhappy with contract: Team responds after report that QB wants reworked deal​

The Rams might have a problem on their hands with Matthew Stafford​

John Breech

By John Breech

19 hrs ago•3 min read

getty-matthew-stafford-rams.jpg
Getty Images
The Los Angeles Rams could have a small problem developing this offseason and that's the fact that Matthew Stafford appears to be unhappy with his contract.
According to NFL.com, Stafford wants the team to adjust his contract so that it includes more guaranteed money over the final two years of the deal (2025 and 2026). As things currently stand, Stafford has $31 million in guaranteed money coming his way for the 2024 season, but he has nothing assured to him after that. With the way the contract is currently set up, the Rams could easily move on from Stafford following the 2024 season and it seems that he'd like some assurances that the team plans to stick with him.
Rams coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead were asked about the situation on Friday following the third round of the NFL Draft and they mostly danced around the issue. First, McVay was asked if the report was accurate about Stafford not being happy with his deal.
"I've had good dialogue with Matthew," McVay said, via quotes from the team. "We'll keep those things in house, but he's been working with our guys and we'll keep those things in house."

McVay and Snead were then asked if they thought the team would be able to "find a solution for the contract issue" and they basically ducked the question.
"We're definitely jacked to have Matthew as our QB," Snead said.
If Stafford's truly unhappy, he could skip OTA's this spring and McVay was asked what he thought about that possibility.
"We're going to take it a day at a time. We'll see," McVay said. "So we're going to try to figure it out. There's nothing that's more important than making sure that he feels appreciated and he knows how much we love him and want him to lead the way. I think that commitment that I think he wants to have can be reciprocated and we want to work towards figuring that out."

In summary: They made no promises that they'd fix the contract to Stafford's liking and they seem well aware that he might skip OTAs if nothing is done. That being said, McVay did point out that Stafford has been in the building working with the team over the past couple of weeks.
Stafford signed a four-year, $160 million extension with the team in March 2022, just one month after leading Los Angeles to a Super Bowl win over the Cincinnati Bengals. The win came just 13 months after Stafford was shockingly traded from Detroit to L.A. in a deal that was agreed to in January 2021. In three seasons with the Rams, Stafford has led the Rams to the playoffs twice, including their Super Bowl-winning season in 2021.
If the Rams are hesitant to add money to Stafford's contract, it could because of the quarterback's recent injury history. Although he was an iron man in Detroit, he's been battling injuries over the past two seasons, including 2022 when he missed with games.

Although Stafford doesn't have any guaranteed money coming his way for the final two years of the deal, that could change over the next few months even if the two sides don't rework the contract. Stafford is slated to have a base salary of $27 million in 2025 and $10 million of that will become fully guaranteed at some point in 2024, according to a breakdown for the contract from PFT.
The 36-year-old will also have another $5 million become fully guaranteed on the third day of the league year in 2025, which means he'd have a total of $15 million in guaranteed money coming his way in 2025 assuming nothing changes between now and then. If Stafford is the starter in 2024 and he got cut after the season, he'd walk away . Isn't Pete Prisco the head of the Sports Newwith a $10 million consolation.
The Rams have already proven they'll move on from a quarterback if they think it's time -- they traded away Jared Goff in the deal that brought Stafford to L.A. -- so it's no too surprising to see that Stafford wants some financial assurances that he will be the QB of the future in Los Angeles.
I think CBS Sports likes to stir the pot. I believe Pete Prisco is the senior guy there and we know how he likes to get the muck and state things authoritatively of which he has no idea...Especially concerning the Rams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That still means he wants to change the contract that he signed.
But the guaranteed money makes the Rams commit to staying the course through 2026. When these contracts are made by teams, they mostly want a way to dump a guy after a few years with little to no consequence. The last two years are often fantasy numbers with a balloon payment that a team never intends to honor.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Seems like a simple fix to me. If Stafford’s worry is being let go and not making the money promised in his contract and the Rams are worried of guaranteed money walking out the door in retirement, why not just install a no cut clause into the contract. Everything is fixed. :cheers2:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Seems like a simple fix to me. If Stafford’s worry is being let go and not making the money promised in his contract and the Rams are worried of guaranteed money walking out the door in retirement, why not just install a no cut clause into the contract. Everything is fixed. :cheers2:

Or guarantee the money with a retirement clause… add the no cut clause if necessary. I can’t imagine it’s too difficult to figure out. I’m just surprised that got out during the draft.

Also surprised we didn’t draft or sign a QB. Even as a camp arm… we aren’t the Falcons is so many ways…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams and Stafford will work to a solution. Hopefully.

But if I'm the Rams I would definitely target QB in the next draft. Not one of the guys who slot at the top. Rather one of the round 2-5 types who have the minimum tools but need dev time.

Now if by some miracle Bennett is a revelation in preseason then going with him is fine. But I think it is important to get McVay a young signal caller they can start developing and preferably one with starter potential.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Or guarantee the money with a retirement clause… add the no cut clause if necessary. I can’t imagine it’s too difficult to figure out. I’m just surprised that got out during the draft.

Also surprised we didn’t draft or sign a QB. Even as a camp arm… we aren’t the Falcons is so many ways…
There are 4 QBs on the Rams Roster
Mathew Stafford
Jimmy Garoppolo
Stetson Bennett
Dresser Winn

Who did they need to sign?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There are 4 QBs on the Rams Roster
Mathew Stafford
Jimmy Garoppolo
Stetson Bennett
Dresser Winn

Who did they need to sign?

Dresser Winn short of epic disaster will never be a starting QB. If the Rams had little to no faith in Bennett, then they’d have no backup QB for the first two games of the season due to JG getting popped for trace PEDs

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

But if I'm the Rams I would definitely target QB in the next draft. Not one of the guys who slot at the top. Rather one of the round 2-5 types who have the minimum tools but need dev time.

Now if by some miracle Bennett is a revelation in preseason then going with him is fine. But I think it is important to get McVay a young signal caller they can start developing and preferably one with starter potential.
I wouldn't be surprised if they waited for cuts and p/u a guy that has a couple 3 yrs of experience. Seems to be their plan this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn Ewers is my choice. With a late first, I'd definitely take him, reunite him with Whittington.
I'm thinking that Ewers, Sanders and maybe Beck will be the "top" guys coming out, while Dart would be in the 2nd tier

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Stetson is the kind of kid that seems to find miracles so we'll see.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ewers is a pussy.

Ewers is tougher than most. Played through a nasty shoulder injury that would've knocked a lot of quarterbacks out for the season.