Sorry, Seattle, dynasty not in forecast/Judge

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Sorry, Seattle, dynasty not in forecast

By Clark Judge

http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/sorry-seattle-dynasty-not-in-forecast/

Say it ain’t so, Joe … because it isn’t.

Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana made headlines last month when he said the Seattle Seahawks — the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks — may be the next dynasty, and people paid attention because A) It’s Joe Montana, B) he knows something about Super Bowls and C) there really are no such things as dynasties anymore … unless, of course, you count the Robertsons on A&E.

Which is why what Montana said … well, it just ain’t so.

Yes, the Seahawks are — as Montana pointed out — young, talented and coached by someone who is “aggressive and upbeat,” and that’s great. But Joe seems to have forgotten that while the Seahawks pulverized Denver in Super Bowl XLVIII, they barely escaped San Francisco in the NFC championship game and survived a fourth-quarter rally the preceding week vs. New Orleans. In fact, oddsmakers were so unimpressed they made Denver a three-point favorite in Super Bowl XLVIII, and we know what happened there.

But one blowout doesn’t make a dynasty. San Francisco crushed Denver in Super Bowl XXIV and didn’t make it to the playoffs the following season. The 49ers torched San Diego five years later in Super Bowl XXIX, and that club didn’t win a playoff game in 1995. The New York Giants felt so good about themselves after upsetting New England in Super Bowl XLVI they started talking Big D at their 2012 training camp.

“Our thing now,” defensive end Justin Tuck said then, “is that we want to make it a dynasty.”

Terrific. It’s a free country. Only they didn’t make the playoffs.

I think you get the idea. History is against the Seahawks. The last time a Super Bowl champion repeated was 2004 when New England won its third NFL title in four years. That’s as close to a dynasty as anything we’ve seen this millennium, and if you don’t believe me look at how many teams reached consecutive Super Bowls the past 19 years. Try two — New England and Denver — with none in the past nine seasons.

Bottom line: Dynasties are deader than the San Diego Padres’ bats, and you don’t have to look far for an explanation. With the advent of free agency the ability of clubs to stockpile talent diminished. Where the 49ers had Joe Montana, Steve Young and Steve Bono as quarterbacks for their 1989 Super Bowl team, Seattle had Russell Wilson and Tarvaris Jackson last season. The 49ers could produce a run of 16 straight seasons with 10 or more victories because they had more talent — particularly at the most important position — than their opponents.

But once Montana, Young and Jerry Rice were gone, so were the dynasties.

I know, the Seahawks could be different. The Browns could win the Super Bowl, too. I’m just saying there’s a better chance it snows in Dallas next week than Seattle launching a dynasty. I mean, look what happened to Green Bay three years ago. The Packers won Super Bowl XLV, had the best young quarterback anywhere and a core of such superb young players that they were designated a dynasty waiting happen.

Except it never happened.

Yes, they went 15-1 the following season and were the best team in the NFL, but they didn’t win a playoff game. And while they reached the playoffs each of the next three seasons they’re 1-3 there … which doesn’t exactly qualify as a dynasty.

Joe Montana was right when he pointed out everything Seattle has going for it, but he forgot to mention what it doesn’t: History. There are too many trap doors out there to make talk of dynasties meaningful, so let’s just call the Seahawks what they are.

The defending Super Bowl champs. Period.

FRO

Legend
They lost some key pieces on their defensive line and lost 2 CBs. They have some good players for sure and will be tough to beat, but I think they will take a step back in 2014.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
San Francisco crushed Denver in Super Bowl XXIV and didn’t make it to the playoffs the following season.
*sigh* Not true (and it really pains me to acknowledge it). The next season they came a fumble by Roger Craig in the NFC Champ game against the Giants from going a 3rd time. Those Giants were charmed. Not only did they get Wide Right, but also a fumble on the last offensive series for Joe Montana as a 49er.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The only dynasty since the Salary cap/parody era was caught cheating to accomplish the feat. So, no there hasn't been any team close.

I recall thinking the GSOT was set up to be a dynasty. Free agent defections hit quickly after the SuperBowl win and then bad personnel decisions and poor clock management shattered those dreams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaaahhh...Poor SheHawks!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Their oline isn't the strongest, their main offensive weapon is 30 and disgruntled, they've lost more than they've gained in the off season, and their best defender has spent the whole off season taunting the bitter division rival that almost got them in the playoffs. It'd give me a little pause, were I a Seattle fan.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The thing I took away from the Montana interview was that he was saying that the 'Hawks were capable of becoming a Dynasty, NOT that they would become one. Two different things IMHO!!! ( they have to meet up with the Rams twice this year!:D)

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Seattle is a worthy foe. Russell Wilson is a pretty darn good QB. Good D. Good Coaching. Good player development. They're the team to beat in my eyes. To be the best, you beat the best. I for one, am not going to waste my time talking Seattle down to feel better about my Rams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The shitchickens had their Super Bowl mojo year. Every year after, the media loves to scream dynasty, dynasty, dynasty!!!

This article mentions the Packers of 2010 and Giants of 2007. But there's also the 2008 Steelers, 2012 Ravens, 2009 Saints, etc. All those teams had things go right for them that made them go to the SB.

The shitchickens are no different. Escaping the Texans (who remember, had the shitchickens beat) and Rams were part of things going right for them.

They are a very beatable team, and the Rams have beat them before and they'll beat em again.

Fuck the shitchickens. Just beat their asses.

VARam

*sigh* Not true (and it really pains me to acknowledge it). The next season they came a fumble by Roger Craig in the NFC Champ game against the Giants from going a 3rd time. Those Giants were charmed. Not only did they get Wide Right, but also a fumble on the last offensive series for Joe Montana as a 49er.
beat me to it. You're right about the Giants and they're also 5-0 in NFC title games. Must be nice.

Irish

Starter
Play defense and run the ball and you can be a dynasty. Last I checked, the legion of boom is still in tact, and Russel Wilson and Marshawn Lynch are toting the rock.

yeah, they very well could be a dynasty, especially if Wilson's career continues trending upward

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seattle is a worthy foe. Russell Wilson is a pretty darn good QB. Good D. Good Coaching. Good player development. They're the team to beat in my eyes. To be the best, you beat the best. I for one, am not going to waste my time talking Seattle down to feel better about my Rams.

That's kind of the way I look at it.

Seattle was very good last year... they won the super bowl.

But that was last year and this will be this year and no one knows what might heppen.

All I know is, the Rams need to be able to beat them on a consistent basis to win the division.

I think I'll stay focused on that... and hope they can do it.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think Seattle has a better chance to stay at the top of the division than the 49ers. They've drafted better and if they continue, they'll be able to pay their studs while filling holes on the cheap.

The 49ers on the other hand, haven't drafted well recently and have the most overrated passer in the league behind center. When the 49ers fall, they're going to fall hard.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Butt Niners and Seachickens it's time for a new watch in the NFC West...

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I would love nothing more than to see san fran and seattle crash and burn! Seattle is fairly weak in the trenches and have an old running back. I think that wilson is overrated personally, he is a good game manafer but can't carry a team. I think its possible for the rams to win this division if the young guys step up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will :D. Seattle is going down. But I also think it will be in no small part to the Rams who have been on the verge of being the better team in head to heads. We lost virtually nobody of consequence and gained a few more pieces and some experience. I agree that you have to beat the best and I think we will THIS season and our Rams are being built for the long haul. If what I think will happen happens this season, we will truly only be better next season. From there? This is where dynasties are extremely difficult in the NFL these days. KD is a big plus in my eyes. Keeping Snead and Fish together is another. Stan has the pocket book to do that and I really think the Rams are his crown jewel of all of his sports investments. He will make our team his legacy. And guys like him who expect the best and hire accordingly will prevail. He doesn't meddle because he believes in hiring the right people - not people he can manipulate. That is just not in his MO ala most NFL owners. The future is bright.

Many of us talk about players wanting to play for Fish. High end professionals WANT to work for Stan and Stan keeps them if they are good at what they do and rarely gets involved with their decision making. Ideal situation for a good FO in my opinion.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I am unfortunately surrounded by Sea-chicken fans here due to regional proximity. I enjoy smack talking my Seattle Bros, but it's losing its edge, because they truly fear us. I don't want them to crumble. I want us to chop them down. I believe it will happen too!

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
I personally want to see the division remain tough as it keeps the Rams management having to be their best at player personnel matters. However, living is SeaChicken territory is a bit frustrating going to the bar and hearing all the chirping...so let's put an end to that this year. Once Russell Wilson receives his big contract, they will have to make some serious player cap room decisions. Call me crazy, but don't put it past Pete Carroll to springboard to another team or business opportunity if the franchise starts to crack a bit. I don't get the vibe either from their players that it is all about the team, more about look at me and how do I get paid. My prediction is self destruction based on ego and arrogance. Dynasty not.