Somebody convince me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When has being pessimistic ever been rewarded?

I guess I don't understand why any person would want to be a "skeptic" or "pessimist" or a "realist" when you gain nothing from it.
I dunno when it's ever been rewarded. Depends on if you're a true pessimist and your doomsday propositions come to fruition. Then I guess it would be quite rewarding. But that wasn't the point I was making. I only said that it's natural to be skeptical after a decade + of being optimistic and having your dreams dashed. I know that I'm kind of guarded about the season after so many let-downs. That doesn't necessarily make me pessimistic. I just makes me a little more entitled. Know what I mean? I've given years and years of full-on support. Now I think it's high time that I get a little something for the effort.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I dunno when it's ever been rewarded. Depends on if you're a true pessimist and your doomsday propositions come to fruition. Then I guess it would be quite rewarding. But that wasn't the point I was making. I only said that it's natural to be skeptical after a decade + of being optimistic and having your dreams dashed. I know that I'm kind of guarded about the season after so many let-downs. That doesn't necessarily make me pessimistic. I just makes me a little more entitled. Know what I mean? I've given years and years of full-on support. Now I think it's high time that I get a little something for the effort.

Now I think it's high time that I get a little something for the effort.[/QUOTE]

At the very least! :cautious:

paceram

Pro Bowler
You have every right to go into this season with healthy skepticism. When was the last time you were rewarded for being optimistic about the team's potential during the off-season? But if you want legitimate reasons for ramping up your expectations, I can give you a few.

1. There's been a change (an overhaul, really) at the most important position on the team (QB).
2. We drafted arguably the best RB to come along in a decade and already have a pretty good stable of RBs to complement him.
3. We retained all of our receivers and the marching orders have been to make it easier on them in terms of understanding what to do.
4. Out with the old, in with the new (OL). If this line can find some early chemistry and continuity, it could end that saga in Rams history.
5. The defense is no longer learning, and all of the key starters are returning. No more assimilation. Just annihilation.
6. Special teams are arguably the best in the league, and nothing has happened to reverse that trend.
7. Fisher has to be feeling the heat right now, so there could be more emphasis on micromanagement.
8. Our first game against SEA is one where there is no tape to prepare, and we always play them very tough. This will be a street fight. Nothing less.
9. Chris Long, Nick Fairley, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn.

10. The days of this crap ......... are over.

St_Louis_Rams_Logo26.jpg

OK - You got me PUMPED UP for the upcoming season!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Being guarded isn't going to change anything. The Rams will do well or they won't. Our feelings about it won't matter. So might as well be a delusional homer while you can be. Because if they do suck, reality is going to hurt...regardless of whether or not you were optimistic, pessimistic, skeptical, or guarded.

That's what I've never understood about the people on Ramstalk. If it causes you that much misery and for you to be that unhappy, why do you continue to watch football or be a Rams fan? It's not an obligation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Being guarded isn't going to change anything. The Rams will do well or they won't. Our feelings about it won't matter. So might as well be a delusional homer while you can be. Because if they do suck, reality is going to hurt...regardless of whether or not you were optimistic, pessimistic, skeptical, or guarded.
Okay deal!

But if we have to sign Kellen Clemens mid-season, I don't wanna hear shit from you. LOL

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You can be as optimistic or pessimistic as you want. That's just your choice of poison. The fact is it doesn't matter. Last years record, the last 10 years record, the last 20 years record - it don't matter. The only thing that matters is how they play this year. And the past should have no impact on that. Of course it might have a little bit of an impact - on the psyche of the players - their mentality when their down 20 points etc because some of them have been there all too many times - but it shouldn't do and that's the point.

And of course the record over the last few years tells you something - that its not likely we're suddenly going to go 16-0 because a lot of the same guys on the roster are still there ....but there's also turnover. And there's turnover at our rivals and the other teams. So I don't think it matters what happened before. There's no need to be pessimistic. You come off a season where there were flashes of good play - and a defence that late in the year was as good as any in the league and sure hope they can build on that.

We've just gotta let it play out.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I guess I don't understand why any person would want to be a "skeptic" or "pessimist" or a "realist"

I really hate that word...may as well just label yourself a loser (those that use it that is)

Bravo jrry(y)

I for one am pumped over (my) perceived direction the "goats" are headed, I think X pretty much nailed it.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have 2 areas of concern for 2015...One is the O line...Very young and inexperienced..The other is the secondary...Beaten too many times of late...The O line can be successful by simply keeping it simple...Running the football.. Much easier for a new guy (especially one who was a road grader in college) to to run block than pass protect ...Back 4 can be protected by the front 7, especially the front 4...Take time away from the QB and it becomes easier to stop the pass...I'm always optimistic at this time of year...usually I figure that the first 4 weeks gives me a a pretty good feel for whether or not my optimism will continue through the year..I happen to think that the players owe us as fans (or at least me as a fan) nothing more than their best 110% honest effort...The same applies to the coaching staff and GM...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
5. The defense is no longer learning, and all of the key starters are returning. No more assimilation. Just annihilation.
I'll Drink to this^!!
drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

One thing that has been on the back of my mind, and probably a lot of others too. Are they really going to be a lame duck team?
I haven't heard anyone wondering about this! Your the 1st to mention it, that I know of!:bueller:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay here it goes and I apologize if I offend anyone, but I believe the Rams will have a successful season. They've made some major changes and IMO especially on offense and the fact the Rams are due to avoid some injuries so I feel good about the upcoming campaign and I feel that the offensive staff, Cignetti, Weinke, Garcia and additional responsibilities for Boras will benefit the overall performance of the football team.

Now that is just the way I see it and in my life I have always felt it's better to see that there is actually liquid in the glass so it does not matter if it's half full or empty, it will quince my thirst nonetheless.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay deal!

But if we have to sign Kellen Clemens mid-season, I don't wanna hear crap from you. LOL

That's outside the delusional homer period. That's when reality hits. ;):LOL:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

That's what I've never understood about the people on Ramstalk. If it causes you that much misery and for you to be that unhappy, why do you continue to watch football or be a Rams fan? It's not an obligation.

I beg to differ as a 50 year RAMS ONLY fan. I think realism based on facts we have to base things on now take precidence over offseason drunkeness on the usual Koolaid. Nick Foles even if healthy is not a top 10 NFL quarterback based on the two seasons that are totally different yet we have so many stats and facts to look closely at.

Maybe some Weinke magic along with the end of our OL offseason injury curse just Suddenly end...maybe. Its a proven fact that Foles during the "13" season had the very best ranked OL in the whole league yet could'nt seal the deal with some very highly rated offensive players in a very qb friendly offense.Plus many,many,many plays that could have gone awry went in favor of Foles who I of course hope has even a better year with the Rams.

The RAMS will NOT have the number 1 OL in the NFL this season by a very longshot. That along with facts and stats and much film to study show what happens when Foles is not supremely protected and he holds the ball too long. We have plenty of data to base things on UNLESS major improvement and changes are made.

I refuse to chug the Koolaid and stick my head in the sand at my old age and veteran RAM watcher. I'm gonna take things report by report ,day by day of camp competition and see who or IF we have any injuries. Plus watching all of the current players who are in the progress of recovering from surgeries had during last season and after last season ended. That list is very long and some are healing from season injuries that did'nt require surgery. That list also is very long.

Lets just walk in reality day to day as we walk into this season with eyes wide open. Putting together a solid jelled OL does'nt happen by any accident. We are very RAW to be very blunt and truthfull even if all the players we need are already on the team, they have a mountain to climb no matter how dumb downed the offense is made to help them. I think our new OC is more of a stickler to detail and I know we did'nt execute the plays called by Schotty and don't have a hatred for his play calling the last years.

Opening up with the seahags will make us prepare for the best as we just start this season. No more excuses for slow Fisher starts. I'm just gonna be REALISTIC and know what we have now will take time,commitment,smarts and the ability to make adjustments we have'nt seen at halftime and on the fly during any Fisher games. Will the same coaches in new positions make it happen now? I'm gonna have to see it first. Not trying or wanting ever to be negative. I love the players we have currently. I just know they need major coaching and leadership. Hope we find and create some new leaders as C. Long and JL won't be around forever.

Very much looking forward to the first reports we get from competitions. Pray all healings go perfect for our men. We all saw a miracle in "99" so who is to say it can't happen again?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I beg to differ as a 50 year RAMS ONLY fan. I think realism based on facts we have to base things on now take precidence over offseason drunkeness on the usual Koolaid.

I refuse to chug the Koolaid and stick my head in the sand at my old age and veteran RAM watcher. I'm gonna take things report by report ,day by day of camp competition and see who or IF we have any injuries.

Lets just walk in reality day to day as we walk into this season with eyes wide open.

Why? What does "realism" offer? I'm not strapping on pads and going out there. You aren't either. Neither of us are coaching. Ultimately, our emotions and feelings are irrelevant to the Rams success. Feeling optimistic won't make the Rams play better. But feeling pessimistic or realistic also won't keep them from getting injured or playing poorly.

Chug the kool-aid, stick your head in the sand, and enjoy the period of time when you can be optimistic and believe your team has a chance. Because around Week 8, there will be five or six teams that know they have no shot. By Week 17, there will be 20 teams that know they have no shot. And by the end of the Super Bowl, there will be 31 teams that know they have no shot.

You don't feel any better in Week 17 when your team misses the playoffs because you were realistic at the start of the season. You're still crushed. And you also don't feel any better by the end of the Super Bowl if your team wins it because you were realistic at the beginning of the season.

Enjoy the time we have now. We have no football which is tough but this is also the time of the year when fans of all 32 teams can believe they have a chance to go to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and nobody can prove they're wrong.

Reality is that the Rams haven't had a winning season or made the playoffs in a decade. Screw reality. Because none of that matters in 2015. The Rams have as good of a chance as anyone. And nobody is going to convince me otherwise.

And I don't know about you but I'm crazy about football and the Rams. When I watch the games, being "realistic" does me no good. I'm going to be angry and disappointed when we lose even when I knew going into the game we didn't have a good shot of winning. Unless the team is so bad that I become indifferent and apathetic. Which is a far worse feel than anger. It's just emptiness.

Being realistic now won't spare me any of the emotional trauma that a bad season will bring. So why should I do it?

I'm going to have fun and expect the best. Because until Week 1 comes around, the Rams have the same record as every other NFL team and the same chances of winning it all. (y)

However, being optimistic doesn't mean I'm blind or incapable of recognizing the level of talent on this team. It's not like being optimistic means I have to believe that Foles is the best QB in the NFL. Only that the sum of the parts that make up this team is capable of great things.

Very much looking forward to the first reports we get from competitions. Pray all healings go perfect for our men. We all saw a miracle in "99" so who is to say it can't happen again?

That sounds like a little bit of kool-aid escaping from your keyboard. I like it. ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If someone wants to be optimistic, a homer, drink the kool aid, etc., then more power to you. Maybe you can handle the disappointment. But some of us have been there done that too many times. And its been going on for a lot longer than the last ten years.

But look at the last ten years. In 2007 I was pretty excited about our chances the way 2006 ended. We know what happened that year. In 2011, again events in the previous year got us excited. Again, they laid an egg. Last year I really thought we had something. It ended up the worst of Fisher's 3 year record.

It gets tiring to get excited this time of year, tell all your friends watch out for the Rams. Only to have them laugh and say "Looks like the same ole sorry ass Rams to me". I'm a bit more careful with my optimism these days. So when they lay the egg, at least I wasn't surprised.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Its a proven fact that Foles during the "13" season had the very best ranked OL in the whole league yet could'nt seal the deal with some very highly rated offensive players in a very qb friendly offense.

I have a question about the proven fact OLine rating. This rating was according to whom?

BTW, the Eagles had the 4th highest scoring offense in the NFL in 2013 along with the 29th rated defense (yards allowed). Could it be that it was the defense that couldn't seal the deal?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
In the 70's, I had high expectations that were only ruined in the playoffs. I would take that again. My memory of the 80's are dominated by Dickerson's career and what could've been. The 90's felt like the last ten years. I actually convinced myself that Tony Banks was a good QB. Of course the GSOT was glorious yet even though the 01 team was remarkably dominant, the ending was that much more painful. I'm glad you posted this thread because the responses were things we all want to see as we suffer the loooong offseason and pray our hopes won't be dashed once again. To that end, here's my contribution.

This team's identity has finally been crystallized.
We will be the thug bullies nobody wants to face. We may not win, but the other team will feel the pain when it's over. Frankly, I'd rather be called soft and win like the GSOT, but if I can't have that, I will revel in the return of the Fearsome Foursome from my childhood.

Gurley reminds me of Dickerson. He's a big, upright runner with elite vision, instincts, and hits the inside holes with frightening speed. He can make this young OLine better than the sum of it's parts. Think of how the Colts OLine suddenly became adequate once E.D. was traded to them.

The elements are in place for the sack record this year. We are primed with young, talented vets who know GW's aggressive system. If the 2015 Ram defense is comparable to the 2000 Ravens or 85 Bears but we barely miss the playoffs, with enough beer, I can be happy.

Our division is overrated and this year's recession will be a boon for the Horns. Seattle reminds me of the 02 Rams. They still have talent but the downhill slide with defections, money issues, SB loss hangover, and overconfidence will do them in. The Cards lucky streak ended the second half of last year. It won't return. The Niners? Bwahahahahaha!!! Revenge is a dish best served cold...deep in the cellar.

The Cig and Boras tandem will surprise us. Their focus on execution and detail will net unexpected production. This will be a solid, methodical offense with occasional big plays off play action. Expect the screen game to expand and a better use of the tight ends. WHEN defenses load the box 8 and 9 strong to stop Gurley, they will get burned by Quick, Britt, Cook, and Austin. Need a tough third down conversion? Bailey will be the man.

Now, I'm not sure you're convinced but I suspect you feel better. Have another sip...you'll get there.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the 70's, I had high expectations that were only ruined in the playoffs. I would take that again. My memory of the 80's are dominated by Dickerson's career and what could've been. The 90's felt like the last ten years. I actually convinced myself that Tony Banks was a good QB. Of course the GSOT was glorious yet even though the 01 team was remarkably dominant, the ending was that much more painful. I'm glad you posted this thread because the responses were things we all want to see as we suffer the loooong offseason and pray our hopes won't be dashed once again. To that end, here's my contribution.

This team's identity has finally been crystallized.
We will be the thug bullies nobody wants to face. We may not win, but the other team will feel the pain when it's over. Frankly, I'd rather be called soft and win like the GSOT, but if I can't have that, I will revel in the return of the Fearsome Foursome from my childhood.

Gurley reminds me of Dickerson. He's a big, upright runner with elite vision, instincts, and hits the inside holes with frightening speed. He can make this young OLine better than the sum of it's parts. Think of how the Colts OLine suddenly became adequate once E.D. was traded to them.

The elements are in place for the sack record this year. We are primed with young, talented vets who know GW's aggressive system. If the 2015 Ram defense is comparable to the 2000 Ravens or 85 Bears but we barely miss the playoffs, with enough beer, I can be happy.

Our division is overrated and this year's recession will be a boon for the Horns. Seattle reminds me of the 02 Rams. They still have talent but the downhill slide with defections, money issues, SB loss hangover, and overconfidence will do them in. The Cards lucky streak ended the second half of last year. It won't return. The Niners? Bwahahahahaha!!! Revenge is a dish best served cold...deep in the cellar.

The Cig and Boras tandem will surprise us. Their focus on execution and detail will net unexpected production. This will be a solid, methodical offense with occasional big plays off play action. Expect the screen game to expand and a better use of the tight ends. WHEN defenses load the box 8 and 9 strong to stop Gurley, they will get burned by Quick, Britt, Cook, and Austin. Need a tough third down conversion? Bailey will be the man.

Now, I'm not sure you're convinced but I suspect you feel better. Have another sip...you'll get there.

Maybe we can have a combination of the Dickerson years combined with the Fearsome Foursome years. Maybe they'll even call them the Fearsome Fivesome. :sneaky:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
We've been posting together for a long time, man. Since 2005, I think.
A decade is plenty long enough to give and not yet receive.

Victory shall be ours!

Sounds pretty close.....I think that there's little doubt that Ram fans are the most optimistic, loyal, patient, forgiving and slightly demented bunch there is.......as in, Romeo and Juliet meets Groundhog Day

Absent a little pixy dust sprinkled on the OL , not to mention a nice dose of luck, I'm afraid we're still a year away. Then again, there have been surprises in the past, as in 73 and of course the miracle of 99. Hope springs eternal this time of year and why not? After all, isn't that what keeps us coming back?

I'm with you Paul, it's time, it's way past time, but hey, that's what we signed up for........right? o_O

Victory will indeed be ours and when that day comes, it will taste oh-so-sweet.