So, what position will be our pick at #37?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've seen mocks that had us taking as many as 6 different positions there, depending on who fell.

These are the most widely diverse draft projections for our first pick that I can recall, offhand. Ever.

Here's my process of elimination take at this point.

The Joyner to FS talk seems to be genuine. If so, then a FS at #37 most likely comes off the table.

The DE/Edge need is reduced by the Wade hire and the Barwin signing. So those players probably also come off the table for us at #37, too.

Any LB at #37 seems quite unlikely. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Wade kinda likes his LB roster at this point. Just not enough value/need at LB to justify a pick at #37. I think.

TruJo is currently on a one year rental. And trade rumors are still out there swirling around. Some questions about Webster and Gaines, as well. That makes CB a screaming need, imo.

But McVay is an O oriented HC and he inherits the worst O in the league for the past 2 years. Moreover, he's already made comments about providing Goff with more weapons and that a team can never have enough playmakers.

Sooooo...

Add all of that up and what do you get?

My best guess is one of the following:

WR
CB
TE

And in any order.

Hard to separate their respective likelihood any further right now, at least for me. Could be any of those positions. Literally.

I'll say this. There will be multiple outstanding players sitting there at our pick. Several 1st round quality players will fall.

So, it just depends on how they've stacked their board AND how they've ranked their needs AND how they've projected which players will likely fall to their pick at #69. That last part might well be the tiebreaker.

I do see those 3 positions all picked by the end of round four. But the exact order? Man, who knows?

Lots and lots of moving parts within our '17 draft strategy, huh?

Thoughts?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think its between WR, TE, OL. I suppose I could see CB but I'm thinking that McV's first ever draft pick is going to be on offense.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Like you already mentioned, I think its about value and who is available. My gut tells me it will be a WR, but if there is an early run and a guy like TJ Watt makes it to the Rams, I could see LB of course.

But to answer your question my guess would be they will look to go WR and if the guy they dont want or feel the value is there for they go CB.

Personally if they go WR or CB I would like to see a trade down. I think the difference between picking 37 to 60 for those positions is little and if we could stay there and grab another 3rd or 4th that might be best case.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think its between WR, TE, OL. I suppose I could see CB but I'm thinking that McV's first ever draft pick is going to be on offense.

I just don't see OL at #37 for us, Box.

Too many other desperately needed playmakers will be sitting there for us.

But an O pick? Wouldn't surprise anybody one bit. Lol.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will pick a Center, and pizz everyone off (except me!). :rockon:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I just don't see OL at #37 for us, Box.

Too many other desperately needed playmakers will be sitting there for us.

But an O pick? Wouldn't surprise anybody one bit. Lol.

It depends on how they evaluate what we currently have on the OL. Clearly they like Whitworth, and seemingly they like Saffold to keep him at his contract number, GRob will be given a chance. Does Big Rob H fit? Any of the other interior guys?

There will be first round grades there for the taking at 37 - if that guy happens to be on the line, I'm good with it.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Number one is probably WR, but in this draft you might find better value at TE which is also a need. Those are the primary options followed by CB IMO. If there is unbelievable value for a pass rusher I could see that factoring in the equation if there isn't great value at the first 3 positions.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree on the OP's top 3 positions for #37 likely to be at either WR, TE or CB. What happens with TruJo will determine where we go at CB imo. There is so much draft depth at CB, should Tru remain a Ram for another season, i'd guess WR or TE shoots to the top, if he's traded, CB (King, Awuzie or Conley) with our first pick. Between a WR or TE at #37, my personal favs are Godwin & Njoku, ... and Njoku will probably be long gone, so i'm looking at Chris Godwin as a real possibility with that 2'nd round pick. jmo.

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Why position? Why not Player?

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Seeing the pattern Les Snead has made during the past drafts, it will be Best Player Available.

If it's the Best Player Available happens to be a WR or CB or DE, that will be icing on the cake and a homerun blue-chip prospect that Les Snead will run to the podium and turn in the draft card.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Always go BPA in rounds 1-3, always. Assuming all talent level is equal in terms of impact in the 2nd round, I'd go with center.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
BPA

Should be a plethora of talent that slips into the 2nd round...with that said

Jarrad Davis/ T.J. Watt LB's

Evan Engram/David Njoku TE's

Awuzie/Conley/King CB's

Lamp/Bolles/Robinson OL....very doubtful for a Robinson....dude may be a guard at the next level. I wouldn't be opposed to Moten either.

Melifonwu/Baker/Peppers (hey, the kid can fall) Free Safety....

Most of these can be replaced with other players later in the draft...Get the best pro prospect. BPA

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no idea! But that Friday night I'll be sitting at my computer watching the draft and I'll tell you then who I'd pick and I'll still likely be wrong

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if the OL Feeney is on the board he will be the pick. Outside of him no other OL will grade out high enough to be considered there. But his Senior Bowl performance makes him unlikely to get to 37 tbh, not with so many teams in the 20s that will heavily consider him. And I don't mention Lamp because he's gone for sure. So yeah, OL is unlikely.

At wideout I think it's clear that Davis and Williams have zero chance of getting to 37. Ross is extremely unlikely. So they might go for Godwin or Juju, but I think the value on those guys is low in this particular draft at that spot. If the Rams want a wideout at the top they will probably at least try to move down a bit and get another pick which I think would be wise.

TE is probably the most likely of the offensive positions. Comes down to how much dropoff they're seeing from the round 2 types to the guys they can get in round 3. It should have value close to the defensive positions and it's a need, so if I had to bet on an offensive position at 37 it would be TE.

But overall I still think Rams will go defense if they pick at 37. Barring a run on defense in general in the first round there's just too much value and breadth of options at need positions. Best chance of a legit round one value sliding to us from those positions and we have needs where it's strong. CB, FS, LB (pass rushers but also ILBs), etc. Gonna be a hard call if they prioritize offense.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It seems like it has to be WR/TE. Goff has nobody notable as a target man. Take the best available offensive weapon.

Ram65

Legend
I think if the OL Feeney is on the board he will be the pick. Outside of him no other OL will grade out high enough to be considered there. But his Senior Bowl performance makes him unlikely to get to 37 tbh, not with so many teams in the 20s that will heavily consider him. And I don't mention Lamp because he's gone for sure. So yeah, OL is unlikely.

There is always moving up. Should Lamp fall some maybe trader Les moves up some to get him. Just throwing that out there. Seem like Les and the Rams are always focusing on the next move with the first move. With the supposed depth and value at CB and some need at WR the Rams could be picking based on which combo they can get at these positions. So I'm thinking WR or CB. I would not count out a JT Watt or others if if they have them rated higher by a decent margin.