So how much did jerra have to pay the officials?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Used to happen on a regular basis in 49er games back in the bribing owner/Steve Young cheating the salary cap days. How soon people forget.

Just one of the many examples was the 1998-1999 playoff game 49ers v. Falcons:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2br8jtVDQw

Relevant play is at 52:30 on the video, or 2:00 left in the 2nd quarter. Referee announces Falcons ball, they go to commercial and when come back, magically 49ers ball again. Sorry but critics of today's officiating don't understand what b.s. is compared to what they used to do in 49er games back in the day.

Very nice catch, Fatbot. I refused to watch 49er games, unless they played the Rams, so I never saw this before.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Used to happen on a regular basis in 49er games back in the bribing owner/Steve Young cheating the salary cap days. How soon people forget.

Just one of the many examples was the 1998-1999 playoff game 49ers v. Falcons:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2br8jtVDQw

Relevant play is at 52:30 on the video, or 2:00 left in the 2nd quarter. Referee announces Falcons ball, they go to commercial and when come back, magically 49ers ball again. Sorry but critics of today's officiating don't understand what b.s. is compared to what they used to do in 49er games back in the day.

That was the worst call I have ever seen...EVER !!! Even the down by contact might have been a mistake, but they called it a lateral (backward pass) and then they said the 9ers never had control...So what ??? It was a lateral, there is no control involved... I don't recall ever seeing that, but that truly is the worst call I can ever recall seeing...

duckhunter

Starter
How come Jerruh didn't pay them the previous FOUR years when his team went 8-8 or 6-10 and fell apart every December.

How come he didn't pay them during the last SEVEN post season trips the Cowboys made where they have only won 2 games?

Seriously guys.......

Realistically, the Refs can only influence a game 'on the margin'. Otherwise, it becomes too blatant.

Are you familiar with the concept of 'on the margin'? Generally speaking, most contestant environments experience an end of day accounting/balance sheet of opposing forces. The give/take can take place within a stock uptrend or even be a rout as in a battle but the end of day or lull in action is essentially an equiblibrium of opposing forces or actions of some sort. 'On the margin' can be seen as game changers. Everything in life's battles is influenced by what occurs 'on the margin', the last trade or last charge up the hill. The momentum changers.

If the game becomes systematically embedded with foregone conclusions, participants depart the field. As an example, in my case after watching the mess last night following the call and change of the call, I immediately turned off the set and said I will never watch a Cowboys game again, that includes games against the Rams. Judging by the trend, I easily could have the same stance as my grandfather did 50 years ago.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
That was the worst call I have ever seen...EVER !!! Even the down by contact might have been a mistake, but they called it a lateral (backward pass) and then they said the 9ers never had control...So what ??? It was a lateral, there is no control involved... I don't recall ever seeing that, but that truly is the worst call I can ever recall seeing...

Wow, either I don't remember seeing this or didn't see this game, but how in the world did that happen? Whether it's a TD or he was down by contact, how in the world does the ball go back to SF? What was the explanation?

I saw first hand how the refs helped out Dallas in their comeback victory over the Rams this year. Part of the Dallas gameplan was to tackle Quinn, and the other STL defensive line as they rushed and it worked like a charm. One reason there was only 1 sack in the first 5 games.... there should have been 5 or 6 in that game alone, and NO holding penalties.

Athos

Legend
With high end call girls BTW.

That's what they were paid with. A lil' sumthin, sumthin on the side that's totally discrete. :rolleyes:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only time I can ever remember a PI call waived off is when uncatchable ball comes in to play. I cant ever recall one wiaved off after down and distance was measured. On top of it, Dez on the field without his helmet is 15 yard penalty PERIOD. You can get a replay for 12 men on the field, but why not that?

In any event, Detroit should have just gone for the darned 4th and 1, and made it. The rest would have been moot.
Reality is that they blew a 14 and 13 point lead and never should have left the game in the balance for the refs to steal

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Trust me, I remember well the 49ers being the beneficiaries of many calls back in the day as you mention. All it means is that not much has changed. Nor will much change until fans get pissed enough to stop watching.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I really don't see a penalty on the play. Its not like Pettigrew would have been able to stop and come back to the ball, and it went off the defender's shoulder. He was falling backwards trying to twist around for the ball

We saw something similar in one of the Rams games this year as well, called PI and after a conference they picked it up because the defender got hit in the back with the ball and didn't really do anything to the receiver.
not true and there actually could've been two different calls. one for face guarding (blocking the recievers vision without attempting to play the ball) and PI when he smacks the recievers hands while making full body contact as the ball comes in. besides the fact that not only did they throw a flag but then call it on national tv then wait longer to pick it up THEN not even bother to say why it was picked up. dude common...

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
That was the worst call I have ever seen...EVER !!!
This was just an example of a similar playoff game reversal, but referee 49er huddles (where they would announce a call, then talk it over, then reverse it for the 49ers benefit) were commonplace. A new version of "the worst call I've ever seen" would happen every single 49er game, not just once in history. Sometimes multiple times in the same game.

Nor will much change until fans get pissed enough ...
This is the key point. Nobody cared about when it happened for the 49ers (and to a lesser extent the Patriots spygate) because the entire sports media was happy those calls favored the 49ers. Fans won't get pissed if nobody is writing the thoughts to get them pissed.

Back up that video about a minute before that fumble play and you'll hear "unbiased announcer" Matt Millen spouting about how often he has best friend Steve Young over for dinner. The media is supposed to be the watchdog against this stuff, but hard to do when they are all 49er fans. So what you get is them saying "bad call" and then it's over, no legs to the story.

It is only now when it happens with a team a lot of media hate like the Cowboys that you'll see write ups against the refs in USA Today: such as http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/dal...nterference-well-which-one-is-it-we-dont-know

Why now all of the sudden? Well, take a look at the writer's facebook page and you'll see his motivations: https://www.facebook.com/mikefossFTW/timeline?ref=page_internal

Timeline link 1: article how Dallas sucks (written after they lost to Washington)
Timeline link 2: article how the 49ers are the greatest (written after they beat the Rams)

(And don't click on his 49er love/anti-Ram piece unless you have an empty stomach, since it also kisses Seahawks butt too.)

This media bias means fans aren't pissed when the head of NFL officiating, Mike Pereira (now laughably on FOX broadcasts), gushes about how he is an unabashed 49er fan, a die-hard lifelong fan that considered the 49ers "the team of destiny" -- translation, destined to get every call from his refs -- http://kron4.com/2014/01/20/former-nfl-top-ref-grew-up-a-niners-fan-video/

But nobody got mad at that, but now we're supposed to get mad because a ref partied on the Cowboys bus or something way less obvious because now the media suddenly cares?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I've been on a flag soapbox... Game changing penalty calls that aren't clear penalties.

Hate it!

This was the opposite. A penalty flag, on an actual penalty, picked up changes the game.

Yep.
And how about Dez Bryant running out on the filed to argue with the refs without his helmet on.
I thought that was supposed to be a penalty too.

Debacled

Starter
not true and there actually could've been two different calls. one for face guarding (blocking the recievers vision without attempting to play the ball) and PI when he smacks the recievers hands while making full body contact as the ball comes in. besides the fact that not only did they throw a flag but then call it on national tv then wait longer to pick it up THEN not even bother to say why it was picked up. dude common...
Face guarding is not a foul in the NFL.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
How come Jerruh didn't pay them the previous FOUR years when his team went 8-8 or 6-10 and fell apart every December.

How come he didn't pay them during the last SEVEN post season trips the Cowboys made where they have only won 2 games?

Seriously guys.......

Because they were inept! Seriously, inept! Now they have an offensive line and don't regularly shoot themselves in the foot.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The only time I can ever remember a PI call waived off is when uncatchable ball comes in to play. I cant ever recall one wiaved off after down and distance was measured. On top of it, Dez on the field without his helmet is 15 yard penalty PERIOD. You can get a replay for 12 men on the field, but why not that?

In any event, Detroit should have just gone for the darned 4th and 1, and made it. The rest would have been moot.
Reality is that they blew a 14 and 13 point lead and never should have left the game in the balance for the refs to steal

Yeah, that's what Collin Cowheard said. But he, and you, are just confusing the issue. The issue isn't whether Detroit could have overcome bias reffing. The issue is that the games being purposely manipulated. The issue is that there is no integrity in the game of football.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Face guarding is not a foul in the NFL.
it may not be a foul without contact but any type of contact without the defender playing the ball while the ball is in the air is a foul. so its basically face guarding. why do you think they always bring up the fact about defenders not getting their heads around. he made contact and didn't attempt to get his head around thats indisputable. so foul

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, that's what Collin Cowheard said. But he, and you, are just confusing the issue. The issue isn't whether Detroit could have overcome bias reffing. The issue is that the games being purposely manipulated. The issue is that there is no integrity in the game of football.
If it was purposely manipulated, they wouldnt have thrown the flag on the play

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

It's not just that one play. It was happening the entire time Dallas was mounting a comeback. We, also, saw the blatant favoritism when we played them earlier this season. This is real. I'm not sure how well coordinated it is, but the proof of malice is right in front of us. It's right there. Clear as day. The owners, own those teams. They are their toys and they will play with them how they see fit. Many of them have a great deal of integrity to be where they are. However, sometimes they bend the rules (like when they took a calculated risk on the Ray Rice video evidence not coming out).... etc...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That's only true if it is an organized and unanimous effort. I don't think it is.

But there's still that inconvenient truth that if nothing's going on, bad calls should be pretty even and they're not.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not just that one play. It was happening the entire time Dallas was mounting a comeback. We, also, saw the blatant favoritism when we played them earlier this season. This is real. I'm not sure how well coordinated it is, but the proof of malice is right in front of us. It's right there. Clear as day. The owners, own those teams. They are their toys and they will play with them how they see fit. Many of them have a great deal of integrity to be where they are. However, sometimes they bend the rules (like when they took a calculated risk on the Ray Rice video evidence not coming out).... etc...
With all that power you'd have thought they could have upheld Suh's suspension then, no?
It was a crappy call and the explanation is even worse. In the following day or so I've heard nothing but nonsense from the refs. The takeaway for me is, how can a multi bullion dollar industry have such a keystone cops set up in regards to the officials? Its insane, the refs on the field hadnt worked together, they were picked from a seniority pool. With all the money being made, when does the NFL invest some $$ in improving the refereeing?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
With all that power you'd have thought they could have upheld Suh's suspension then, no?
It was a crappy call and the explanation is even worse. In the following day or so I've heard nothing but nonsense from the refs. The takeaway for me is, how can a multi bullion dollar industry have such a keystone cops set up in regards to the officials? Its insane, the refs on the field hadnt worked together, they were picked from a seniority pool. With all the money being made, when does the NFL invest some $$ in improving the refereeing?

This is how I am beginning to think of it; it’s like war games played between rival factions. The NFL is the world. And the various teams are the factions within that world. And because it’s a zero sum game (one winner) it’s inherently prone to nastiness. The various faction leaders are going to take certain liberties, but ultimately they will not go nuclear.

Roger Goodell is the legislative body that oversees the whole thing. But, like our UN or International Criminal Tribunal, his power is blunted because no single faction wants him to have too much power. There is also a reason he is being paid $44.2 Million a year. It keeps him “honest” because he is not incentivized to side with one faction over another (i.e., he is above outright bribery).

The Suh case was a minor incident, like a border skirmish and was not worth going to war (between ownership) over it. Dallas ownership is too smart for direct warfare.

Instead, Dallas fights the war by changing the conditions of the playing field. The head ref was documented to have gone out partying with Jerry. (I’d love to see the pictures.)

Jerry Jones is a bit like Vladimir Putin. He fucks with everyone because he controls the supply of gas. Gas that other European countries need to keep their inhabitants warm during the winter.

With Jerry, and his $1B stadium, he has a certain amount of leverage within the power structure that he is able to take the occasional liberty.

Stadiums matter. Stadiums are a source of wealth, prestige and political power. (It was the same with castles, pre-1850, in Europe.)

When you start looking at the NFL from this perspective, things start to come into focus.

They, the owners, are playing a different game than the one we are watching.

I’d love to delve into the politics of each of the franchises in order to map the power structure.

Suffice to say, our owner will get a new stadium, one way or another.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you start looking at the NFL from this perspective, things start to come into focus.

The Cowboys had only won 1 playoff game in 20 years prior to Sunday, if Jones had any of the power to which you speak, where has it been all these years?
Me? I'm comfortable in the belief that the referee system is broken, has been broken, and will remain broken until the owners care enough to do something about it. The officiating has been dreadful for years. The game is too fast, many of the officals are past their prime, and the league hasnt made full use of technology.