Should The Rams Trade for Ealy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He looked very...average I'll say...in the games I've watched. We don't need him....Hell, we shoulda went out and grabbed C Long...if this was the case.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He can still play. Maybe not an every down player but would bring some good things depth wise.
Cost is one issue (why he was cut on a rebuilding team) and is that roster spot better spent developing a young player?
I think he goes to a contender sort of team.
Pittsburgh, GB, Dallas etc.
If cost was an issue then why would the Whiners cut him? His cap hit was $8 million they saved $7. Nice savings but keep in mind prior to the cut they had $56 million in cap space. They didn't have to cut him he could have been as you describe "bring some good things depth wise" and not hurt their cap at all. Unless they need the money for some free agents that are out there right now.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I could also see a Spruce for Ealy trade.

Spruce replaces Edelman and becomes a mini-star for them, and Ealy replaces Easley here. Neither will make their respective teams, otherwise. Why not take a flier??

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Wade Phillips likes Ealy and the price is right, ... hell yes. I wouldn't want to be giving up more than a late round pick or the possibility of a late round pick & a depth player for a guy entering free agency next year. Didn't the Pats just lose Edelman yesterday ? How about Ealy for Mike Thomas/Spruce ? Is their LB'ing corps looking solid, how about Thomas & McKinzy for Ealy ?
A decision like this has to be completely up to Phillips, if Ealy is better than a current #3 or #4 DE on our roster, then what's the harm, his CAP hit is only about $900,000. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He looked very...average I'll say...in the games I've watched. We don't need him....Hell, we shoulda went out and grabbed C Long...if this was the case.

I was calling for Chris Long to be picked up as a reserve during free agency, didn't get much support though. Would have liked seeing him retire as a Ram, affordable and still effective in a back-up role.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was calling for Chris Long to be picked up as a reserve during free agency, didn't get much support though. Would have liked seeing him retire as a Ram, affordable and still effective in a back-up role.

The problem was that he didn't want to be a reserve. That's why he went to the Eagles.

fearsomefour

Legend
If cost was an issue then why would the Whiners cut him? His cap hit was $8 million they saved $7. Nice savings but keep in mind prior to the cut they had $56 million in cap space. They didn't have to cut him he could have been as you describe "bring some good things depth wise" and not hurt their cap at all. Unless they need the money for some free agents that are out there right now.
Don't know.
Not a starter anymore. Don't want to lay that much for a backup guy Inwoukd assume.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Carolina traded him because he is in the final year of his contract and Horton became a more complete player which made Ealy available. He is still a good pass rusher if used that way or situationally.

Agree, ... and the Pat's drafted two DE's this spring after making the trade for Ealy. Looks like the Pat's are now trying to do what the Panthers did, realize some value out of Ealy before he hits free agency. jmo.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Again, besides the point. He was a great value pick-up at the time and definitely excelled in Williams' scheme.

No, it isn't "besides the point." The Patriots let him go because he ended both of his seasons with them on IR. Last year was the only year he finished a season, and of course, is on IR now for his third ACL tear. Yeah, great pick-up.

A franchise like the Pats doesn't trade a 2nd for a player and look to shop him right out of training camp without reason.

I mean, we have Easly on IR eating up cap space, haven't been able to sign Donald to a long term deal, yet we're supposed to trade the Pats for another defensive lineman? C'mon. Dude is less than a 5 sack-a-year player.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I could also see a Spruce for Ealy trade.

Spruce replaces Edelman and becomes a mini-star for them, and Ealy replaces Easley here. Neither will make their respective teams, otherwise. Why not take a flier??

...And as I say this, Ealy was just released. Bring him in, can't hurt. Like others have said, this may have been a case of bad scheme fit once again for them. At worst, he could have a decent year and bring us back a comp. pick if we can't resign him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
...And as I say this, Ealy was just released. Bring him in, can't hurt. Like others have said, this may have been a case of bad scheme fit once again for them. At worst, he could have a decent year and bring us back a comp. pick if we can't resign him.

We are 5'th in line for teams making a waiver offer.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure I would want a player who the Patriots (of all teams) consider a mistake.

No, it isn't "besides the point." The Patriots let him go because he ended both of his seasons with them on IR. Last year was the only year he finished a season, and of course, is on IR now for his third ACL tear. Yeah, great pick-up.

A franchise like the Pats doesn't trade a 2nd for a player and look to shop him right out of training camp without reason.

I mean, we have Easly on IR eating up cap space, haven't been able to sign Donald to a long term deal, yet we're supposed to trade the Pats for another defensive lineman? C'mon. Dude is less than a 5 sack-a-year player.

Yes, availability is indeed one of the more important abilities, but I wouldn't call it directly the "mistake" that made the Pats cut him. You can't predict those sort of things. Easley, much like Ealy possibly, may not have been great scheme fit. Just look at Long. Maybe Ealy prefers an ears-pinned-back approach which Wade could utilize. Our depth on Dline isn't as strong as you may think.

We'll see, he was just reported here in New England as being cut. Bring in him like we did with other vets.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Was just mentioning this in other Ealy thread... Proves some of our assumptions that he simply wasn't a scheme fit. Give him to Wade and see what the guru can do!!