Should I get a dog?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have to second the opinions of getting a shelter dog. Shelter dogs need love as well.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
here is my bull terrier with her RAMS jersey on and the our 10 yr old mini dachshund.
gretta.jpg
myla in rams jersey.jpg

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's very early days yet and I suppose I'm pre-arming myself with information and advice in the event that I'm cornered in the near future.

I appreciate all the responses everybody (y)

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I pretty much read only the thread title.

My response is an unequivocal yes!

Dog = unconditional love. You can't get that from another person.

To me, that is why dog is God spelled backwards.

I hope to never be without a dog.

Dogs are the coolest!

IMG_02321_zpslgvnt273_edit_1491151494094_zpszdppnejc.jpg

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm desperate to have a dog but I live alone and I'm out the house 12 hours a day so it's just not feasible. You should definitely get one if the practicalities make sense.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm desperate to have a dog but I live alone and I'm out the house 12 hours a day so it's just not feasible. You should definitely get one if the practicalities make sense.

You should find a local no kill shelter and volunteer and get you doggy fix and not feel guilty about leaving them alone.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
eEghXyE.jpg

This is Oliver and his cat Stanley.

WwqKKNI.png

They're very close.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
My family has had German Shepherds since long before I was born , going all he way back to my great grandparents

There has never been a time when we never had one , me and my siblings learned to walk by holding onto the sides of Ben ( he was our parents German Shepherds when we were small )

many times we even had two at a time , over the years

The wife and I currently have just one , Manfred , smartest dog in the world

German Shepherds are so easy to train , it's like they come pre-trained , even at 8 weeks old..........................lol

Me and Manfred !!!

pb3.jpg

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@RamFan503 your dog is stunning. If my ladies said to me can we have a dog if it's a black lab I'd struggle to say no

Edit: @IowaRam the above applies to German shepherds too. Beautiful animals

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
DOG THREAD!!!

I love my dog. They are amazing animals and it sounds like you check the boxes for a good owner. Here are my tips you didn't ask for.

1. Big vs Small Dog: I like big dogs personally, but I see the reasons why people would want small dogs, they take less space, shed less, and are just in your way less. However with kids they are also more fragile animals. Kids can intimidate smaller dogs if they are not gentle enough. Also, in my experience, big dogs are easier to train. Can't speak for others, but that's my experience

2. Rescue?: Animal rescue is important, and I love all the people that do it. I've always been given grown dogs from friends that need to move. Rescues can end up as such great dogs, and they deserve it. With that said, you can also end up with a dog that has some issues and requires extra care and attention. Some of these dogs are rescued from pretty big tragedies. I only bring this up because of the kids, dogs with issues could be a potential danger to children. Last thing you want is for a dog to go through some PTSD and bite a kid.

3.Shedding: I have a German Shepherd. She is beautiful, listens amazing, and is the greatest pet I've ever had. Literally the only problem is that she sheds so damn much. We have hard wood floors, so it can't hide in the carpet, and we have to sweep every day as well as run the Roomba vacuum daily. Still hair every where. A friend told me that GSDs only shed twice a year, 6 months at a time lol. Some breeds don't shed, but those breeds generally need to be groomed more often.

4. Sex: I've had so many dogs, my last pro tip is to get a female. Boy dogs are hyper and have that humping and/or peeing on stuff problem. Female dogs rule.

Obligatory picture of my dog Athena. She's a German Shepherd/ Rottweiler mix
20622095_10214205356756857_2354896648012980639_n.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@RamFan503 your dog is stunning. If my ladies said to me can we have a dog if it's a black lab I'd struggle to say no

Edit: @IowaRam the above applies to German shepherds too. Beautiful animals
I've had Labs for the last 35 years. Other dogs have lots of special attributes and I love almost all dog breeds. For me, the Lab just has more best friend qualities than any other dog.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Still hair every where. A friend told me that GSDs only shed twice a year, 6 months at a time lol.

Too funny. Yeah - most dogs with a coat you would even want to pet have shedding issues. And generally the thicker the coat, the worse the issues.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Too funny. Yeah - most dogs with a coat you would even want to pet have shedding issues. And generally the thicker the coat, the worse the issues.
She adds so much to my family's life though, so I'm not bothered by it. I mean, my baby shits and pees on me, my dog just sheds lol. But I'm sure some people would not want to deal with the hair.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2. Rescue?: Animal rescue is important, and I love all the people that do it. I've always been given grown dogs from friends that need to move. Rescues can end up as such great dogs, and they deserve it. With that said, you can also end up with a dog that has some issues and requires extra care and attention. Some of these dogs are rescued from pretty big tragedies. I only bring this up because of the kids, dogs with issues could be a potential danger to children. Last thing you want is for a dog to go through some PTSD and bite a kid.

This is why you need to make sure the rescue you deal with knows their shit. They will make sure that the dog is a match to your family, including the kids and keeping everyone safe. Make sure the rescue knows the history of the dog.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will admit that I won't do the rescue thing. Sorry if that makes me seem harsh but I am not about to adopt an animal that someone else has turned into a mental basket case. Did it twice. Never again. I especially wouldn't do it with small children in the picture.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will admit that I won't do the rescue thing. Sorry if that makes me seem harsh but I am not about to adopt an animal that someone else has turned into a mental basket case. Did it twice. Never again. I especially wouldn't do it with small children in the picture.
It is not for everyone. Between myself and kids we have 4 rescue dogs. They are some of the sweetest dogs ever. I believe that these dogs know that they have been saved and look at you different because of it.

I do think it is important to spend some time (not saying you didn't @RamFan503) with the rescue dog at the rescue to make sure you are a fit for each other. We have a really good bully rescue in our area and they will make home visits to make sure the dog is going into a good place and they know which dogs should be the only dog or if they should be adult only dogs.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Definitely recommend it if you're willing to put the time in raising it. Make sure you select a breed that fits your lifestyle (i.e. Small dogs if you're sedentary or medium sized, hyper energetic if you go on routine runs or walks outside)

I currently do not own a dog but I spend a lot of time playing with this lovable bitch (friend's dog)

IMG_0039.JPG

Hope to have one at one point in my life as an owner but my work/life balance sucks at the moment so I'm holding out until the right job/career permits me to raise one properly; looking to get a Shiba Inu

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor