Several Rams among Stars facing pay cuts/release

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I hope that they can keep him at a reduce rate, but Kendall Langford is making an awful lot of money to be a backup.:whistle:

Of course, he might turn out to be trade bait.
the only issue with that is that the Dline is our bread and butter if it gets even a little thin at some point or the offense is struggling to stay on the field. that Dline needs to be strong and fresh and pull their ass from the fire. right now I just think it would be bad juju to tinker with that area right now

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I forgot about Jake Long! I wonder what that says about his play (or my memory). Either way, he can leave with our thanks in the offseason.

Scott Wells on the face of it is another no brainer but I can't help thinking we'll notice his absence more next year in terms of his calls at the line etc.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How much you think he's gonna request? How much is he worth? I was thinking he may be too expensive...and his play as of late, more representative of Joe Barksdale...I bet Jake could be fine, IF healthy....I was thinking, maybe draft a good RT...Get him ready just in case, and roll with Jake, since he's already signed...
I also talk to a friend that said it's "bad business" to just cut FA's that were just signed...Looks bad to other players around the league was how he put it...And I could see that....

Barksdale will get paid less than Long is getting - Long's contract was for an All Pro caliber LT, while Barksdale is a quality but not a star RT. Even if they're in the same range, there's no way I'd want an OT who is coming off of two major knee surgeries.

And Long wasn't just signed - he was signed two years ago. It's routine to cut free agent signings after a couple seasons, especially if they've had multiple major injuries. That's the NFL, and there's not a player in free agency who isn't used to that by the time they're eligible.

BadCompany

Rookie
could JLong take a cut and move inside and draft another 1st or second round OL? still need a center. but we can't get rid of that much of the Oline without high draft picks and money spent in FA

Can Long play guard? Saffold, Long and Joseph as your guards? Injury prone, but at least its depth, right? Add a first round pick into the mix... Or is there no way that we get those guys to cap-friendly deals?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Can Long play guard? Saffold, Long and Joseph as your guards? Injury prone, but at least its depth, right? Add a first round pick into the mix... Or is there no way that we get those guys to cap-friendly deals?
idk I'm just spitballing ideas but there's no reason he couldn't play guard and it makes his job easier and possibly less injury risk. would need a pay cut. he knows he diesnt have many cards to play like Bradford. best scenario I can think of at this time without knowing other options

V3

Hall of Fame
Barksdale will get paid less than Long is getting - Long's contract was for an All Pro caliber LT, while Barksdale is a quality but not a star RT. Even if they're in the same range, there's no way I'd want an OT who is coming off of two major knee surgeries.

And Long wasn't just signed - he was signed two years ago. It's routine to cut free agent signings after a couple seasons, especially if they've had multiple major injuries. That's the NFL, and there's not a player in free agency who isn't used to that by the time they're eligible.
The price of FA's goes up every year. The price for a Pro Bowl player signed a few years ago may not be that far from what a solid player will get today.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
This is why the Rams are still a losing team. All those cap dollars, and none of those guys are even top 10 at their position. I'd cut all of them and move on.

Memphis Ram

Legend
the only issue with that is that the Dline is our bread and butter if it gets even a little thin at some point or the offense is struggling to stay on the field. that Dline needs to be strong and fresh and pull their ass from the fire. right now I just think it would be bad juju to tinker with that area right now

I agree. But that can be done without spending $6 million base on a backup DT.