Seems to be 2 common themes with our incoming FA's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't care about winning Walter Payton Man of the Year Awards. I want to finally win some games!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Aside from football knowledge and a positive vibes culture, the biggest addition to this team has been of course, the VETERAN Leadership. I had been banging the table ever since Fisher took over for veteran leaders on this team since we were always the youngest NFL team year in and year out. It's exactly what the pats did/do during their super bowl runs and I'm glad we are adding veteran talented, leaders to our squad.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one thing you can say for sure, is that enough of last years players have left, where the old culture is pretty much gone. Aside from a handful of players, everyone else will be a little more attentive..a little more on edge..and hopefully playing their asses off even on days where they are losing. It seemed that the only games Fish & Co. cared about were against NFC West rivals, like a college coach against certain rivals in the same conference.

We need to beat freaking EVERYONE!

Limey

Rookie
I mentioned it on a couple of other threads, but we are also seeing a lot more deals with incentives in them. I know the "up to a maximum of $x" is scaring people, as they say that we are over-paying, but I'm encouraged that they have to earn the full values, and that we are getting guys who back themselves enough to sign that sort of contract.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They are pretty danged "football smart".

They are of high character. A couple were even team captains, I believe.

Both traits would have applied to Groy, had we been successful in getting him.

No disrespect to our outgoing FA players, but I do think that there is a dramatic difference between the incoming and outgoing groups of FA players.

Two things...

I don't think it's a coincidence.

I think it will largely continue through FA and the upcoming draft.

New culture dividends, y'all...

I agree and I am so happy for it. Fisher's ideas on character were flawed and the team struggled mightily because of it. I am also happy that Williams is gone. The Saints proved that his defense was beatable with short quick routes. The pressure, pressure, pressure worked against lesser teams but a good QB knows how to deal with it.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Well to be fair, they put all their eggs in the Barrett freaking Jones basket. Sorry man, that probably isn't going to make you any happier.

I had huge hopes for Barrett Jones - I thought he was going to be Rams' centre for a very long time.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
They are pretty danged "football smart".

They are of high character. A couple were even team captains, I believe.

Both traits would have applied to Groy, had we been successful in getting him.

No disrespect to our outgoing FA players, but I do think that there is a dramatic difference between the incoming and outgoing groups of FA players.

Two things...

I don't think it's a coincidence.

I think it will largely continue through FA and the upcoming draft.

New culture dividends, y'all...
Spagnuolo's four pillars: "But we hope that we're going to be about faith, character, core values and team first".

200.gif

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Aside from football knowledge and a positive vibes culture, the biggest addition to this team has been of course, the VETERAN Leadership. I had been banging the table ever since Fisher took over for veteran leaders on this team since we were always the youngest NFL team year in and year out. It's exactly what the pats did/do during their super bowl runs and I'm glad we are adding veteran talented, leaders to our squad.

Yes

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's possible that some of these guys wanted short term deals, but I can't help but notice that with the exception of Woods, who is very young, all of these guys may only play one year for the Rams - either on one year deals or because the structure of the contracts.

Makes me think that McVay wants to build this thing from the ground up in the draft

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whitworth, Webster, and Barwin I agree with that statement.

I'm not so sure about Lance Dunbar though. And I always looked at Benny as a very hard working guy.

Obviously The Rams have a difference of opinion . This is 2 years in a row they have not commuted to him.

If he is so good ? WHY the Heck has he not been signed in a open market. That is a loser thought process.

I think he is a distraction . He & Gurley need to be separated IMO . If Todd Gurley had a excellent year I would agree. Dunbar adds a different option .

I think M. Thomas will take the KR job ,along with Copper.Thomas played well in special teams as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just a guess

But do you think they would have given Dunbar a contract worth up to 3 mil , if Cunningham was still on the team ?
I haven't heard anywhere that Benny is gone "For sure" yet! I sure hope we don't lose him!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's possible that some of these guys wanted short term deals, but I can't help but notice that with the exception of Woods, who is very young, all of these guys may only play one year for the Rams - either on one year deals or because the structure of the contracts.

Makes me think that McVay wants to build this thing from the ground up in the draft

The signing helps The Rams draft best available player. It also helps with bringing in strong locker room guys.

The Rams have a whole lot of talent. Just needed depth. Fisher kept try to reload by keeping young players. They need examples of how to prepare as professionals .
Fishers teams were the most penalized team the last 5 years. That has to change to be successful.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not claiming that we're back to Spag's 4 pillars extreme view, mind you. But I think McVay and his staff clearly value players that are football smart, love the game, and are team first guys.
Intellect is something I have read that Bellichick values very highly.

It's been inferred that he'd prefer a smart, somewhat less physically gifted player over a dumb, physically gifted player.

Fisher believed the exact opposite.

Problem is... you can't fix stupid :ROFLMAO:

Coincidence this Rams teams either led the league or were near the top in penalties? I think not.

We went with stupid... let's try smart.

I like it!

jap

Legend
Johnny: "Hhmmm. I always thought being 'football smart' was a fundamental requirement for a job in the freakin' NFL!!!"

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Johnny: "Hhmmm. I always thought being 'football smart' was a fundamental requirement for a job in the freakin' NFL!!!"

I'll give you several names to illustrate non football smart players, jap.

Brian Quick
Greg Robinson
Tavon Austin
Eugene Sims (stupid penalty after stupid penalty)
Tim Barnes (forgetting snap counts, missing blitz line calls)

These types of non football smart players can just kill your team. And they repeat mistakes time after time. That's some 7-9 BS. Or more like 4-12 last year.

McVay ain't adding non football smart players to this team.

jap

Legend
I'll give you several names to illustrate non football smart players, jap.

Brian Quick
Greg Robinson
Tavon Austin
Eugene Sims (stupid penalty after stupid penalty)
Tim Barnes (forgetting snap counts, missing blitz line calls)

These types of non football smart players can just kill your team. And they repeat mistakes time after time. That's some 7-9 BS. Or more like 4-12 last year.

McVay ain't adding non football smart players to this team.

I was being extremely sarcastic with my Johnny-esque remark. Fundamental football sense is being lost at the pee-wee, high school, & collegiate levels, and the NFLPA's restrictions on coaching time isn't helping in the least to correct the situation.