Runningback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Mason, Stacy, Cunningham, Watts, and don't forget about Pead. He looked like he finally had his head in the right place and was primed for a breakout year before his injury. I still believe he could be the Rams top back. He has the skills.

Isaiah is an intriguing prospect. He's the best pass blocker in the RB unit, the best pass receiver, and the fastest runner not named Tavon. I thought he may have been finally ready to really deliver on his potential when he went down last pre-season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Last time i checked, there are more WR's on the field than RB's about 90% of the time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think most everyone agrees our RB situation is at least average to above average. I can't see using a premium pick to slightly move the bar on this unit.

A premium pick will have more impact in other areas; like offensive line.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm good with the RB by committee philosophy. I like it because you have a few players that all know the offense equally, yet bring a different skillset. I like it because it removes the unknown when you suffer an injury. I like it because it breeds competition. I like it because you're not overpaying for one guy that will cry and whine about his carries.

The only thing i'd like to see improved is the 3rd down back. It's Benny's job right now, and i like what Benny brings to the table...but we could use a true 3rd down back with great hands, who can get out and run a route and read a blitz consistently.
I totally agree here. And I dont find it comparable to the WR situation as for the most part, the Rams will only have 1 HB on the field at a time, whereas with the WR, they will be consistently be between 2-4 and each has a responsibility on the play.
I would be disappointed if they went HB at #10 or even if they traded down to 17-20.
Of course last year I thought we were set at DT and then Donald fell in our lap so...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
First Chris Long trade, now saying Tre Mason isn't elite or top 10 after 1 season?

Why do we try to find or create problems in areas that aren't?

Tre is fine. Even RBs need to develop.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
How many defensive oriented SB teams didn't have an elite RB? The 2002 Buccaneers are the only one that comes to mind, and they had a decent passing game that year under Gruden. But look at all of the SB teams that had a top 5 defense plus a top 5 RB:

2013, 2014 Seahawks (Marshawn Lynch)
2012 49ers (Frank Gore)
2005 Seahawks (Shaun Alexander)
2003 Panthers (Stephen Davis)
2001 Ravens (Jamal Lewis)
1999 Titans (Eddie George)
1998 Falcons (Jamal Anderson)

Do you think Tre Mason can become an elite RB? Do you think Nick Foles can become an elite QB? You pretty much need one or the other to win the SB these days.

I don't think this proves much besides the fact that different teams take different paths to the SB. To my mind controlling the LOS ranks far above anything else.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
First Chris Long trade, now saying Tre Mason isn't elite or top 10 after 1 season?

Amen.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I don't think this proves much besides the fact that different teams take different paths to the SB. To my mind controlling the LOS ranks far above anything else.

What team has succeeded with a running back by committee without an elite QB? If neither Foles nor Mason are elite, odds are low that the Rams will go very far this year.

iced

What team has succeeded with a running back by committee without an elite QB? If neither Foles nor Mason are elite, odds are low that the Rams will go very far this year.

not entirely by committee but the '06 bears.

Rex Grossman, Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson

Panthers did pretty well with Delhomme, Williams/Stewart combo

Last edited:

jap

Legend

I got news for you, Buddy. Our water boy isn't exactly top ten material either! We need to cut him at once and pick up another cheerleader as soon as possible!!!

Last edited:

iced

pick up another cheerleader as soon as possible!!!

_48186492_bill_c.jpg

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

If the Rams don't go very far this year it will be because of the OL. Not Mason.
And, JMO half of those backs you named aren't elite in my eyes. Hell you had to give it to Eddie George 57 times a game if you wanted to get anything.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams have a good set of backs. And count me in the number that believes that Pead & I'll even add Watts could be great weapons out of the backfield (I know they can't/won't keep them all).

However, I just wish the Rams backs did a better job with their vision/patience or feel for rushing lanes sometimes. The OLine gets hammered quite a bit, but sometimes I see plays where a more patient back might have had better runs. For example, it seems that Stacy is going up the middle no matter what, but I've seen runs where if he simply made a cut to his left or his right, he would have had nicer gains.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
not entirely by committee but the '06 bears.

Rex Grossman, Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson

Panthers did pretty well with Delhomme, Williams/Stewart combo

The '06 Bears are a close example, but the 2003 Panthers had Stephen Davis. Davis was a 1999 All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl in 2003.

If the Rams don't go very far this year it will be because of the OL. Not Mason.
And, JMO half of those backs you named aren't elite in my eyes. Hell you had to give it to Eddie George 57 times a game if you wanted to get anything.

I'm not sure you can blame the OL when we don't even know who 3 of the 5 will be. And all of the backs I named were pro bowl caliber in the years they made the super bowl. Eddie Goerge was the second team all-pro in 1999 and first team all-pro in 2000. If that's not elite, I don't know what is.

iced

The '06 Bears are a close example, but the 2003 Panthers had Stephen Davis. Davis was a 1999 All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl in 2003.

Was thinking when the panthers met Warner and the cards in the playoffs - think 2008?

jjab360

Legend
Isaiah is an intriguing prospect. He's the best pass blocker in the RB unit, the best pass receiver, and the fastest runner not named Tavon. I thought he may have been finally ready to really deliver on his potential when he went down last pre-season.
I don't agree with any of those things...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I love our backfield situation. I still think Stacy is a good back, and Mason to me can be one of the best RBs in the league, and Cunningham is a hell of a 3rd down back. We just need a better OL to show these things.

That being said, I have no problem adding an RB. Nothing wrong with upgrading if possible.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Was thinking when the panthers met Warner and the cards in the playoffs - think 2008?

If one and done in the playoffs is a successful season, the Bengals have a hell of a dynasty going on.

iced

If one and done in the playoffs is a successful season, the Bengals have a hell of a dynasty going on.

That was more of the Arizona Defense finally stepping up.

Don't think they allowed a rusher more than 60 yards in the post season.

Remember watching Film on it and Bellicheat breaking them down - showing their over-aggressiveness and pursuit, but the RB's/OC never took advantage. Belicheck mentioned if he were playing them he'd throw in some reverses and such to keep the D on their Toes to pay for their over aggressiveness

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
That was more of the Arizona Defense finally stepping up.

So the best example of a successful team with a RBBC, is a team that lost by 20 in the divisional round, 7 years ago? That's not a real compelling argument.